Starbound Pre-Orders Raise $1 Million, Reach All 3 Stretch Goals

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Starbound Pre-Orders Raise $1 Million, Reach All 3 Stretch Goals

A new playable race, fossils, and starter pets will be added to the game on release due the team reaching all 3 of its crowdfunding stretch goals.

Starbound, the space-themed spiritual successor to 2D pixel-art sandbox RPG Terraria, opened pre-orders [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123265-Update-Pre-Orders-Open-for-Starbound] earlier this year, in a crowdfunding-style fundraiser. A modest stretch goal of $500,000 was posted, promising the inclusion of the Novakids, a brand new playable race, if the funds were raised. They raised the half a million and then some, recently hitting $1 million mark in total pre-orders and reaching the Novakid stretch goal, as well as two additional goals at $750,000 and $1 million: fossils and starter pets.

The Novakids are described as "interstellar gas-bag people", having no real home planet or point of origin. The race is styled after old-west style gunslingers, and they will be added to the base game and be playable upon release. They will also be fully integrated into the game's lore. "Since the Novakids have a short memory (and attention span), diplomatic relations can be strained at times; because of their completely different composition to other lifeforms, Novakids are sometimes unable to grasp the nuances of interracial social interactions, and have thus attained a slightly dubious reputation amongst other races."

Fossils are the remains of long dead creatures scattered throughout Starbound's universe. They're extremely valuable, very rare and very difficult to dig up. You'll need special tools to clear the dirt and unearth a fossil. Removing the wrong piece of dirt could cause the fossil to crumble into dust. Successfully removed fossils can be placed as trophies. Some of them will offer "special properties" and the developer hints that the it may be possible to revive the long-dead creatures.

Starter pets are small, non-playable, non-combat companion pets that players can choose to start the game with. They will be available in addition to to the alien creatures you can capture and have fight alongside you as you travel through space. Each race will have its own unique, fully customizable pets that can accompany players on their journey through the stars.

If you're worried about these stretch goals hindering the game's development, developer Chucklefish has stated that "We'll be using the extra money to pay for additional artists to create their assets, so their creation won't delay development at all." The game is currently slated for a 2013 release date.

Source: Starbound [http://playstarbound.com/store/]

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
This thread reminds me that I need to order the 4pack.
Well, it's for me and 2 friends, but still, it's 4 games for the price of 3. I get on for free.

Prime_Hunter_H01

Dec 20, 2011
Now we wait for the beta.
Well, we have been, but still, now we know that the final will have more cool stuff.
I assume the 4 pack indicates online play in beta, I hope.

Elate

Nov 21, 2010
It's not a successor to Terraria, for the 5th time. They're made by different people who happen to have one or two members of development staff that worked on Terraria, and Terraria is still under development. Not to mention they're pretty starkly different games when it comes down to actual content.

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
Can hardly wait for it, but I'll hold out until it's actually released.

My days of playing unfinished games or pre-ordering are over. I've too much on my plate as is.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Elate said:
Terraria is still under development
hahahaha.
Redigit said:
The future of Terraria has been highly debated as of late, not just with the community, but for us as well. The last year has been a crazy ride! When I started on this game, I just had a few ideas of what I thought would make a fun game. I had no idea that it would receive so much attention. I want to thank all of you for supporting us and making this game's success possible.

After a lot of internal debate, we have decided that it is time to move on. My wife and I are due to have another boy soon, and I want to spend some time getting to know him. I also want to spend the time recharging and bettering myself as both a programmer and game designer. I have learned a lot from working on Terraria and plan on using what I've learned, building upon it, and moving forward with another, even better project. However, we are still planning at least one more bug fix for Terraria.

For those that haven't already heard, Finn "Tiy" Brice has moved on to form Chucklefish and is heavily at work on an exciting new game called ?Starbound?. It's looking to be a lot of fun, so make sure to check it out if you haven't already!

Thanks again for all your support, and I am very much looking forward to providing you with something much better than Terraria in the future!
Source [http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/my-fellow-terrarians.81455/]
Even though there has been a recent update regarding more updates, it's unfair to expect any major developments or any further continuous support. This likely depends on the success of the console versions.

Bug MuIdoon

Mar 28, 2013
mad825 said:
Even though there has been a recent update regarding more updates, it's unfair to expect any major developments or any further continuous support. This likely depends on the success of the console versions.
The console version has been updated AND sold like hotcakes so I really wouldn't be surprised if we see at least one more update for the console. Might be different devs, but it's still Terraria.

The PC update has been confirmed to having new biomes, a new weapon/armor tier, new bosses, a fair amount of new building materials and quite the graphics overhaul. Seems like a fairly major development to me. "Any further continuous support" I can agree with though, we'll just have to wait and see about that.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Elate said:
It's not a successor to Terraria, for the 5th time. They're made by different people who happen to have one or two members of development staff that worked on Terraria, and Terraria is still under development. Not to mention they're pretty starkly different games when it comes down to actual content.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiritual_successor

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Bug MuIdoon said:
The console version has been updated AND sold like hotcakes so I really wouldn't be surprised if we see at least one more update for the console. Might be different devs, but it's still Terraria.

The PC update has been confirmed to having new biomes, a new weapon/armor tier, new bosses, a fair amount of new building materials and quite the graphics overhaul. Seems like a fairly major development to me. "Any further continuous support" I can agree with though, we'll just have to wait and see about that.
Then "major development" subject to debate. Reskins, stat alteration and a few news animations is hardly what I'd call major, the introduction of hardcore mode had gameplay altering mechanics such as the spread of hollow and corruption.

NearLifeExperience

Oct 21, 2012
Owwww! I can't wait to play this, I CANT WAIT!!

Elate said:
Humorous comments. Not a successor? Terraria still under development? STARKLY DIFFERENT GAMES?

Surely you jest :') otherwise, i'll have what you're smoking.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
mad825 said:
Bug MuIdoon said:

Then "major development" subject to debate. Reskins, stat alteration and a few news animations is hardly what I'd call major, the introduction of hardcore mode had gameplay altering mechanics such as the spread of hollow and corruption.
I have to agree with your sentiments. I love terraria but that update so I can collect another set of items to fight one or two more bosses before I put it away is not what I would call a major development.

Red stepped away from Terraria when its peak moment just passed and the game was starting to stabilize which is kinda a dick move as his "promises" of continued development.

Terraria could have been an amazing game but it ended up being just a good game that got cut short. Here is to hoping starbound doesn't repeat a similar pattern (two different developers now I get it).

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
slow internet is slow and made me think it died. Sorry.

Also escapsit please can have 'delete your own posts function?'

Charli

Nov 23, 2008

Mwhahahahaha. But no really I'm glad. If this is anything like it's little sister, this momma's going to be a rabbit hole so deep we won't see half the PC gaming community for months. I wish I had some cash to put towards it right now. >_>

Buuuuut I do not. Buy an art commission? Anyone? 5 Dorra!

JamesBr

Nov 4, 2010
Oh man I can't wait for this to come out. Nice to know they hit their stretch goals.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
It looks pretty good! I'll pre-order this when I get the chance. I've contributed to a few things recently... well, two things with the intention of contributing to another (only their Kickstarter page no longer accepts donations. CRYAMORE, WHY YOU NO GIVE ME WHAT I WANT?!). Its nice to back these projects, but the anticipation to actually play them is pretty high!

Ulkjen

Feb 4, 2011
kat-pottz said:
if only one of those stretch goals was a mac version, sigh...
Apparently you dont give a crap for the game. Since, you know, you couldnt even hit up the FAQ. http://playstarbound.com/faq/ ;D There you go, no more sighing little man. *grin*