A Closer Look at Dragon's Crown's Cast

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
A Closer Look at Dragon's Crown's Cast

Believe it or not, there are characters in Dragon's Crown that aren't the sorceress.

So the last time Vanillaware let the gaming press take a closer look at Dragon's Crown's ludicrously over-the-top character designs, all hell broke loose. Of all the characters in the PS3 and Vita brawler, the Wizard (who casts magic) and the Elf (who elfs, presumably) are the least exaggerated, so this time around, you may be able to hear the narration over the wailing and gnashing of teeth.

The Wizard video hit YouTube today.

And the Elf video that was released last week.

Oh, and here's the Dwarf video that was released back in April.

For those of you who don't follow niche Japanese developers, Dragon's Crown is a Golden Axe-esque brawler from Vanillaware (Odin Sphere and Muramasa: The Demon Blade). Like most Vanillaware games, it draws heavily from Princess Crown, a cult Saturn brawler that unfortunately never made it out of Japan. Apparently, the game will offer up to 4-player co-op, both locally and online. We've seen most of the six playable characters, with just the Fighter and the Amazon yet to be detailed. I expect the Amazon will spark some debate, as she looks like the kind of horrendous apparition Sir MixaLot would see in his fever dreams if you were to spike his gin with mescaline.

Dragon's Crown is due for release on PS3 and Vita this July in Japan and August 6th in the states. A European release date has yet to be announced.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
It looks alright, but I can't get over the lack of boobs.

Capcha: "make my day" How appropriate.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
They wanted to do a close look on the Sorceress, but they lost the camera in Cleveland...

(Yeah, cheap shot, I know, punish me if you have to, but it was too easy)

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
Dr.Awkward said:
They wanted to do a close look on the Sorceress, but they lost the camera in Cleveland...

(Yeah, cheap shot, I know, punish me if you have to, but it was too easy)
I'm not even mad, I'm just disappointed
come on man, you can do better than that

OT: I'm buying this shit with a fist of thunder and the force of a thousand raging suns
been keeping an eye on it ever since its first announcement (which funnily enough coincided with the day I bought Odin Sphere)
hope they also some day bring Princess Crown over to the west because fuck yeah Princess Crown

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Really want this and Senran Kagura(both sidescrolling beat em ups) but "OMG SEXISM CAUSE WOMEN HAVE BOOBS" is preventing the latter from localization.

Also, this game needs publicity.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
I still dont see the hate for the sorceress or the amazon really, especially when the dwarf and warrior look like they do (i.e. the male equivalent of the amazon in its disgusting use of muscle mass and scant clothing and a guy who's so fucking big top wise its amazing he isnt dragging himself n the ground with his chin respectively). Pretty much it just leaves one class in each gender if you want to play a "normal" character.

I'll probably get this when ths comes out if it comes out on a current console I own (the 3ds or ps3), and wont have the least bit of shame buying or justifying it.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
RJ Dalton said:
It looks fun, but boy is it going to be awkward buying this game.
Not to me. I'd love to see some guy attack me because I bought a game that caused controversey.

There is also online shopping or PSN if you're that scared.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
RJ Dalton said:
It's a Vita game, if your like me that means it's a download. So no human interaction whatsoever, just the way I like it.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
BernardoOne said:
RJ Dalton said:
.... Why?
I'm still living at home for the moment. At some point, I will have to explain that, no really, I didn't buy this game because of boobs.
I live in a very conservative state. People assume things here. It's not going to stop me from buying it if it turns out to be good (I will, of course, find out before purchase), but it will be awkward.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
RaikuFA said:
RJ Dalton said:
Not to me. I'd love to see some guy attack me because I bought a game that caused controversey.

There is also online shopping or PSN if you're that scared.
No one will attack me. It'll just get those weird looks and awkward silences.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
RJ Dalton said:
BernardoOne said:
RJ Dalton said:
.... Why?
I'm still living at home for the moment. At some point, I will have to explain that, no really, I didn't buy this game because of boobs.
I live in a very conservative state. People assume things here. It's not going to stop me from buying it if it turns out to be good (I will, of course, find out before purchase), but it will be awkward.

The game doesn't have a big pair of boobs on the cover or anything. It just has a couple of characters whose breasts most of the time willbe overshadowed by huge fireballs and dragons and ogres being tossed around. I fail to see how anyone would assume anything based on about 1% of the game's content and if they do then they're ignorant people whose opinion is best disregarded and tossed aside.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Eh, really I just don't like the art style. Not for the sorceress, I just don't like the art style in general.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Dreiko said:
The game doesn't have a big pair of boobs on the cover or anything. It just has a couple of characters whose breasts most of the time willbe overshadowed by huge fireballs and dragons and ogres being tossed around. I fail to see how anyone would assume anything based on about 1% of the game's content and if they do then they're ignorant people whose opinion is best disregarded and tossed aside.
I agree, this is one of those cases were I think the controversy just hit on a pre-exsisitng pressure point. I'm glad gaming is at the point were people can address this stuff seriously but how far people are taking this for such a small part of the game is a little excessive. Mass Effect has an entire race of female bisexuals and THAT gets a free pass but a pair of boobs with rather stupid jiggle physics is a turning point? Not to mention my biggest quipe which is its very much just the guy/gals art style.

Anyways, I hate the idea that people can't express themselves in their medium/pass times, granted Dragon Crown isn't just aimed at men so I can see why some feel a little detached... I KNOW, lets get that Wizard naked, that way we can ALL have something to stare at during loading screens!

This game looks b-e-a-uuuuutiful, so I will be giving it a look.

BernardoOne

Jun 7, 2012
RJ Dalton said:
BernardoOne said:
RJ Dalton said:
.... Why?
The cover is pretty bland(basically no boobs showing) and the game itself is quite niche. I dont think anyone "conversvative" will be aware of this game and Im not seeing how you would have to explain anything unless, there is people constantly hovering and spying your gaming habits. And besides, there is more than 1 character :)

crimson sickle2

Sep 30, 2009
emeraldrafael said:
I still dont see the hate for the sorceress or the amazon really, especially when the dwarf and warrior look like they do (i.e. the male equivalent of the amazon in its disgusting use of muscle mass and scant clothing and a guy who's so fucking big top wise its amazing he isnt dragging himself n the ground with his chin respectively). Pretty much it just leaves one class in each gender if you want to play a "normal" character.
From what I've read in some of the other forums on the subject, most of the people against the sorceress's design didn't see the rest of the cast before passing judgement. After noticing the rest of the cast was equally exaggerated, most agreed the design wasn't too bad, but that doesn't mean they liked the design either.

OT: I'm looking forward to trying the game myself, but deciding who gets to play as the elf may be a bit competitive. Not only is she arguably the most attractive character design, she also has flash kicks.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Grey Carter said:
I expect the Amazon will spark some debate, as she looks like the kind of horrendous apparition Sir MixaLot would see in his fever dreams if you were to spike his gin with mescaline.
The other day I was having a discussion with a friend on how female designs in video games always follow the default skinny slender build, at best being athletic. Look at fighting games - male rosters tend to be immensely varied, while female designs fall either in the boobs-larger-than-her-head or loli jailbait category, with a few athletic builds thrown in. It was particularly egregious in Anarchy Reigns as Yahtzee pointed out - the men has arms like tree trunks, while the women were all fit to be lingerie models.

In this kind of environment, wouldn't you say the Amazon's hyper-muscular design is fairly... progressive? Trust me, I'm no fan of this game's art style, but the Amazon is certainly intriguing.

Bug MuIdoon

Mar 28, 2013
I really like the art style used throughout the game. It has a slight Michelangelo'ian touch to it.