Guncraft Merges Minecraft With Competitive FPS Combat

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Guncraft Merges Minecraft With Competitive FPS Combat

It's part Call of Duty, part Minecraft, and all multiplayer madness.

Guncraft is exactly what you'd expect from an equal mixing of creative block-builder Minecraft and fast-paced military shooters like Call of Duty and Battlefield. If you can picture Steve with a minigun or Soap MacTavish condensed to six rectangular blocks, you can probably already imagine the gameplay that would result from this bizarre, but somehow sensible, blend. The ability to tunnel behind enemies lines or build a bunker in the middle of a firefight brings a new layer of tactics to typical FPS gunfights, and your architectural skills will be put to the test when your structures come under fire from the enemy. A new trailer for the game is gathering attention before the game's official launch.

For those with an acute feeling of déjà vu, you may have heard this before. Guncraft has been on the radar since last PAX, where the developers secured a booth directly adjacent to Mojang's. The game is currently in beta and preparing for a full release through Steam Greenlight, though the game has yet to actually be greenlit (you can check out the page here [http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=94212175], if you feel like throwing a vote their way).

Be careful not to confuse Guncraft and Ace of Spades, an earlier voxel-based multiplayer shooter with modifiable terrain. Comparisons are inevitable, since they're currently the only two prominent members of that particular sub-genre, but there are quite a few differences. Whereas Ace of Spades adopted the class-based team dynamics of Team Fortress, Guncraft draws heavily from Call of Duty and Battlefield with customizable loadouts, kill streaks, vehicles, and consumable items. Players are also highly encouraged to flex their creative muscles, with an in-depth map maker and custom prefabs that players can take their time designing before dropping them onto the frontlines with the press of a button.

Guncraft is still rounding up votes on pre-order the game from its official website [http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=94212175] for $15 to earn some exclusive rewards.

Source: Exato Games [http://www.exatogames.com/Guncraft/]

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Heh. Nice.
Ironically, it wasn't Ace of Spades, but Starforge that came to my mind; they'd better step up production if they don't want games like Guncraft to eat their lunch.

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
I wonder if people will ever stop ripping Minecraft off.

That aside, this and Ace of Spades do look like fun.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Looks terrible. And absolutely nobody is surprised. Go figure.

Absolutionis

Sep 18, 2008
It's really hard to justify this aside from maybe the fact that more games are always a good thing.

If Ace of Spades was a shooty Minecraft lite, this looks like Ace of Spades lite.

Mar 30, 2010
thaluikhain said:
Unfortunately, you can only build things that are brown.
But think of all the chest-high walls! :p

OT - Err, ok. I can see why someone has done it, but I can't see why anyone would play it. The tag line "block and load" gave me a chuckle though.

SilkySkyKitten

Oct 20, 2009
Absolutionis said:
It's really hard to justify this aside from maybe the fact that more games are always a good thing.

If Ace of Spades was a shooty Minecraft lite, this looks like Ace of Spades lite.
Actually, according to the developers, unlike the retail version of Ace of Spades this game will have things like LAN and a proper map editor and mod-support. So basically, it's Ace of Spades but with shit Ace of Spades should have had in the first place.

That alone makes me interested, since I liked the concept of AoS but hated how limited it was.

BushMonstar

Jan 25, 2012
I had the chance to play this at PAX Prime last year - Funny enough, it was literally right next to the Mojang area. It was pretty good, and had a fair amount of color to it.

BabySinclair

Apr 15, 2009
By the time AoS had made it to market, it was no longer worth playing. The classes went from basic and balanced to over-the-top and not. AoS was fun due to its simplicity. When the game was bought from its original creators it went downhill. I think more people play the alpha build, still free, than the retail version.

Parakeettheprawn

Apr 6, 2013
l3o2828 said:
I wonder if people will ever stop ripping Minecraft off.

That aside, this and Ace of Spades do look like fun.
I can't speak for Guncraft, but AoS definitely is. Tried the free weekend -- it's rather good. I gave it a 7/10 in my review on my blog.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Well, this is now on my radar. I never bothered to buy Minecraft because, quite frankly, digital legos aren't all that appealing to me. I'll marvel at the things built by other people, but I'm just not interested in doing it myself. An FPS with fully destructible and creatible terrain, on the other hand? Sign me up.

mooncalf

<Insert Avatar Here>
Jul 3, 2008
...Yeah Ace of Spades has been tilling this field for a while now. Ah well no doubt Guncraft will gather it's own following.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well there are about 20 of these now (plus one billion Minecraft mods that do the same), just wait and see some reviewers take a crack at it because this is quite simple and the price is pretty absurd for what it offers.

Oh and everyone going on about Ace of Spades... that is actually a horrible game, it pretty much plays like someones first working prototype, barely functional and everything is miles off balance or missing.

Bug MuIdoon

Mar 28, 2013
Mr.K. said:
Oh and everyone going on about Ace of Spades... that is actually a horrible game, it pretty much plays like someones first working prototype, barely functional and everything is miles off balance or missing.
I agree. I played it in Beta a little and it was fairly fun for a few days, but I soon forgot about it. Played the free Steam weekend (of the new version) not too long a ago, and again, though it was fairly fun so I picked it up cheap in the sale. After a day or two it just got really boring. The classes are ridiculously unbalanced, the amount of team grieving is unbelievable, the actual FPS side to it is done extremely poorly not to mention it's riddled with bugs.

I like the concept of it, but AoS is just executed very badly. I'll keep my eye on Guncraft and see if it pans out any better as I do like the sound of the customization and vehicles.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
It's like a visualization of what some of us as kids used to do with Legos! It even looks like it has destructible player craft-able terrain, so if someone built a tower like that others could blow it up.

CommanderL

May 12, 2011
I still have the orginal ace of spades before it got brought out and ruined and i will be sticking with that