Injustice: Gods Among Us Unveils Batgirl

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Injustice: Gods Among Us Unveils Batgirl

The DC Universe fighting game will be adding Batgirl via DLC in the future.

One of the age old questions that every comic book fan, young and old, eventually asks is "who do you think would win in a fight?" Given the epic scale of fictional realms like the DC Universe, the possible pairings are expansive. <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/10295-Injustice-Gods-Among-Us-Review-Fights-In-Tights>Injustice: Gods Among Us was built with this question in mind, and while some gamers would likely be happy to run endless scenarios of Batman versus Superman (just accept that Batman loses), the spectacular depth of the DC cast means the game and its developers, NetherRealm Studios, have a gold mine of heroes and villains that many players would love to run through the ringer. NetherRealm has begun working to add new characters into the mix, promising as many as four new DLC fighters in the near future.

One of these characters was recently <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123376-NetherRealm-Reveals-First-DLC-Fighter-For-Injustice>revealed to be Lobo, an intergalactic bounty hunter prone to frequent run-ins with the Man of Steel. Now, it has announced that the second DLC character will be Batgirl. "Looks like the bat's out of the bag," said an announcement on the <a href=https://twitter.com/injusticegame/status/330477154842333184>official Injustice Twitter feed. "Batgirl is a playable DLC character in Injustice." While footage of Batgirl in action won't be available until next week, the Twitter post was accompanied by an in-game picture of her looking ready to fight and brandishing some bladed wrist weapons that I'm not sure Batman would fully approve of.

The announcement itself comes with little surprise. A few days ago Xbox Live Marketplace <a href=http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/05/02/evidence-points-to-batgirl-dlc-for-injustice.aspx>prematurely added the heroine to Injustice's DLC list, tipping gamers off to NetherRealm's plans to add Batgirl to the game. We can only hope she'll have the smarts to stay away from the Joker. Given their past history it might be best to keep a room or two between them.

Source: <a href=http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/3/4298566/batgirl-confirmed-for-injustice-gods-among-us>Polygon

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
OH, she looks fierce. Those bladed weapons aren't very Bat-family, yeah, but otherwise pretty decent looking.

Vedrenne

Feb 8, 2010
Jebus, it really does look like the leaked DLC list was real... (for those that don't know, the rumoured list is Lobo, Batgirl, Poison Ivy and Scorpion).

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
I wonder if one of her alternate skins is Babs in a wheelchair. She could have those spike things on the wheels to carve off peoples shins.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
In terms of future dlc I'm hoping for Darkseid. He is the only character present in Mk vs DCU that isn't present in Injustice. I also think if they want to add a character that isn't related to the dc superheroes but is owned by DC it would be fun to play as "V"

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Vedrenne said:
Jebus, it really does look like the leaked DLC list was real... (for those that don't know, the rumoured list is Lobo, Batgirl, Poison Ivy and Scorpion).
Poison Ivy? I thought it was General Zod?

Kinokohatake

Jul 11, 2010
So am I expected to buy the game, then dish out cash for extra players? How about I don't buy the game now, wait until they release an ultimate version, then buy it used from GameStop giving the studio 0 dollars because I find this kind of business model shady as hell?

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
StewShearer said:
and while some gamers would likely be happy to run endless scenarios of Batman versus Superman (just accept that Batman loses)
You do know that Batman has owned Superman's ass enough times as well...

of course its all silliness because Superman is such a shitty broken character.

Personally, I would build a suit of spiky Kryptonite.

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
I'm rather disappointed with the DLC characters thus far, except for Lobo. Bat girl makes 10 batman characters in a game of 30, 10! Should have gone for Red Hood if you wanted more bat family. As for the rumored others, whether it is General Zod or Poison Ivy, they both suck and I would not be interested. As for Scorpion? Meh...

Better characters: Guy Gardner, Atrocitus, white lantern Kyle Rayner, Star Sapphire, Firestorm, Booster Gold, Martian Manhunter, Hawk Man, Black Canary, Huntress, etc, etc, etc...

Tiamattt

Jul 15, 2011
The Great JT said:
I was hoping for the Cassandra Cain version, but whatevs.
They're probably going to use her costume as a alternate, unless it's like MK9 where DLCs didn't get alternate outfits.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Meh. No Booster or Beetle, no sale. Mind you if Animal Man or any of the Doom Patrol were in the roster I could be tempted...can you imagine playing as Crazy Jane or Dorothy Skinner and her imaginary friends? Maybe even Mr Nobody or Red Jack?

No chance of that with a game chock full o bats.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
We get it. People like Batman and Batman characters...
But this isn't a BATMAN game. It's a DC game.

They have the WHOLE DC universe to play with, so why stick with the same colors on your brush?

There are SO many better, more versatile, more interesting DC characters they could've picked: Martian Manhunter, Booster Gold, Blue Beetle, Firestorm, Dr. Fate, Swamp Thing, Black Canary, Zatanna, The Question, Darkseid, Mirror Master, Black Manta, Cheetah, Circe, Animal Man, Power Girl, Brainiac, Star Sapphire, Red Tornado, The Atom, even Aztek spring to mind as potentially better choices.

Even then, the tie-in material was showing Barbara Gordon in her wheelchair as Oracle... and if you HAD to put in another Batman character, put in Poison Ivy so the "Gotham City Siren" team would be complete (and we could have a character fight with plant-based powers instead of yet another Bat-gadget user).

Oh well. It is what it is. I held off on the Season Pass for this very reason, but it's still disappointing. Granted, Batgirl IS one of DC's best-selling titles right now, and I'm sure DC themselves were pressuring them for certain characters (like Zod because of the upcoming movie), but Netherrealm hit the sweet spot for DLC characters with Mortal Kombat (Rain completed the UMK3 roster, Kenshi was the fan-chosen favorite, Skarlet was born from fan-created rumors, and Freddy was a left-field pick that still felt natural in the ultra-violent MK world).

Snowblindblitz

Apr 30, 2011
Thomas Guy said:
So am I expected to buy the game, then dish out cash for extra players? How about I don't buy the game now, wait until they release an ultimate version, then buy it used from GameStop giving the studio 0 dollars because I find this kind of business model shady as hell?
Yeah, after the MK9 burn, this is my stance as well. Makes me feel punished for shelling out for the game at launch. Especially since these are just characters, not something like the DLC for Skyrim (debatable, but I thought it worth it).

That games industry. Dat games industry.

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
FoolKiller said:
StewShearer said:
and while some gamers would likely be happy to run endless scenarios of Batman versus Superman (just accept that Batman loses)
You do know that Batman has owned Superman's ass enough times as well...

of course its all silliness because Superman is such a shitty broken character.

Personally, I would build a suit of spiky Kryptonite.
I love Batman and overall find him to be a far more interesting character, but in a the sort of one on one, straight up fights that Injustice puts across, Batman wouldn't stand a chance against Superman.

The only cases where Batman has really been able to hold his own are when he's had ample time to plan ahead and has back-up from outside parties. Even then, Superman is often holding back.

And I don't think of Superman as being broken so much as being a challenge for writers. "We have this guy that's pretty much a God... How the hell do we make him interesting?"

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Vedrenne said:
Scorpion? Like MK Scorpion? Freaking sweet...

Wish my fucking 360 laser-reader didnt bite the dust...

DataSnake

Aug 5, 2009
Tiamattt said:
The Great JT said:
They're probably going to use her costume as a alternate, unless it's like MK9 where DLCs didn't get alternate outfits.
Or unless DC management is still insisting that nobody mention her or Spoiler, possibly out of a crippling fear of interesting characters.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
DataSnake said:
Tiamattt said:
The Great JT said:
Or unless DC management is still insisting that nobody mention her or Spoiler, possibly out of a crippling fear of interesting characters.
I think you're confusing Cassandra Cain(predecessor) with Stephanie Brown(Successor... until New 52 happened). Don't know much about Cain, but I've seen some stuff with Stephanie Brown and she was a good character. It's shame DC apparently hates her.

OT: I still haven't gotten this(waiting a while for a complete edition to come out), but I'm not that interested in the DLC characters so far. Lobo looks interesting, but outside of seeing him in the Justice League cartoon, I know absolutely nothing about him.

Vedrenne said:
Scorpion? Well that's... weird. Not that I don't like him, he was the only character I could really use well in MK9(I'm not good at fighting games)... but I'd rather see other DC characters be brought in rather than a Mortal Kombat character.