Ex-Dreamworks Animator's Ghost of a Tale Shows Off Its Assets

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Ex-Dreamworks Animator's Ghost of a Tale Shows Off Its Assets

As the game's crowdfunding campaign nears its end, the developer has uploaded some new character clips.

Ghost of a Tale is a small game where you play a little mouse on a quest in a medieval world populated by animals. The PC adventure game is being developed by Lionel Gallat, an ex-Dreamworks and Universal studios animator. It has raised just 24.176€ of its 45.000€ goal, and with just 9 days left in its IndieGoGo crowdfunding campaign [http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ghost-of-a-tale?c=home], Gallat has uploaded some new videos showing off the kind of models and animations you can expect to see in the game.

Gallat describes the game as taking inspirations from movies such as Disney's Robin Hood and Winnie the Pooh, as well as videogames such as Zelda and Ico. "My goal is to craft a small yet beautiful game with environments that look a bit like movie sets and characters that have a sense of stylization in their design, while retaining a certain simplicity and immediacy as far as gameplay is involved," he says.

If this sounds interesting to you, you should hurry up and contribute to the campaign, as Gallat said in a YouTube comment that he would have to scrap the project if he failed to reach his crowdfunding goal. "I've been working on it full-time for more than a year, funding everything from my own pocket, so if I can't get a modest budget I'll have to pull the plug at some point."

If you're worried about his credentials, Gallat says that he has been working as a supervising animator in the movie industry for more than 15 years, first at Dreamworks on movies such as The Road to Eldorado, and SharkTale, and more recently as the animation director for Universal Studios' Despicable Me and The Lorax. The game is a one-man-project at the moment, but Gallat is hopeful he can get some additional help if he can raise some extra money.

The game will play like an action-adventure game, with mechanics focusing on exploration, running and jumping around, reading journals, finding clues, discovering secrets and fighting melee/ranged combats. It is being built on the Unity engine, and promises to be completely DRM free for its Windows PC release.

Gallat is aiming for a release in first half of 2014, with a closed beta kicking off by December 2013 at the latest.

Source: IndieGoGo [http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ghost-of-a-tale?c=home]

Sethzard

Megalomaniac
Dec 22, 2007
Country
United Kingdom
This game does look pretty cool, though when I saw it the first thing I thought was how much it reminded me of Redwall. I miss those books.

Illessa

Mar 1, 2010
TheRaider said:
Why does the video say powered by Unity3d but they are using cryengine 2?
It says in the pitch - he started off using Cryengine but he's since switched to Unity as he was struggling with the C++ side of things.

I backed this game weeks ago, such a charming little project. Very sad that it doesn't look like it's going to make it.

Yelchor

Aug 30, 2009
For "early" progress, it seems they've made it through a lot of things already. I certainly have no doubt that they have the dedication to finish it. Though picking Indiegogo for the funding might have been a mistake, as it appears to lack the power of publicity that Kickstarter has. I'll try to spread the word!

At least they will be funded half way, if this is the highest they reach.

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
Yelchor said:
For "early" progress, it seems they've made it through a lot of things already. I certainly have no doubt that they have the dedication to finish it. Though picking Indiegogo for the funding might have been a mistake, as it appears to lack the power of publicity that Kickstarter has. I'll try to spread the word!

At least they will be funded half way, if this is the highest they reach.
He didn't exactly "choose" Indigogo over Kickstarter. It's simply that Kickstarter is not available in his country, and thus he was forced to go with an alternative site. He recognizes that Indigogo only gets about a fifth of the traffic that Kickstarter does. I feel bad for the guy. If this were kickstarter then the project probably would have been funded by now.

Also, if you look on the page it specifies that they will only receive money if it is fully funded, so it's really all or nothing for them.

Yelchor

Aug 30, 2009
axlryder said:
He didn't exactly "choose" Indigogo over Kickstarter. It's simply that Kickstarter is not available in his country, and thus he was forced to go with an alternative site. He recognizes that Indigogo only gets about a fifth of the traffic that Kickstarter does. I feel bad for the guy. If this were kickstarter then the project probably would have been funded by now.

Also, if you look on the page it specifies that they will only receive money if it is fully funded, so it's really all or nothing for them.
Oh. That makes me sad.

Now I need to gather up whatever pocket change I've got over!

TheRaider

Jul 4, 2010
Illessa said:
TheRaider said:
Why does the video say powered by Unity3d but they are using cryengine 2?
It says in the pitch - he started off using Cryengine but he's since switched to Unity as he was struggling with the C++ side of things.

I backed this game weeks ago, such a charming little project. Very sad that it doesn't look like it's going to make it.
Thanks, I just read the escapist story!

It sounds like a lot of work.

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
sethzard said:
This game does look pretty cool, though when I saw it the first thing I thought was how much it reminded me of Redwall. I miss those books.
From the crab, it seems more like Mouseguard.

Seith

May 8, 2013
Thank you for your words of encouragement, guys! This represents a lot of work, so it's very nice to see positive reactions. For those interested I invite you to have a look at some of the updates from the campaign page, where I talk about the fact that combat will not really be like what you see in the video.

Being a little mouse, you won't be able to mow down enemies twice your size. So there will be much more emphasis on stealth and finding indirect ways of confrontation.

Thanks again for your support! :)

Oh and yes, I confirm that everything that's shown in the videos and screenshots is low-res models as they appear in-game.