Monster Hunter Online Video Teases Dragons Big and Small

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Monster Hunter Online Video Teases Dragons Big and Small

Tencent and Capcom have unleashed an all-new fire-breating CGI trailer for the upcoming MMO Monster Hunter Online.

Revealed in April [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123368-Capcom-Unveils-Gorgeous-Free-to-Play-Monster-Hunter-MMO], Monster Hunter Online is a free-to-play MMO based on the long-running Monster Hunter series. There are a few concessions to MMO-ness, including vehicles and the need for multi-player parties against some of the truly big bads, but by and large it will remain true to the Monster Hunter franchise, with "vast environments, awe-inspiring fantasy creatures and in-depth customization options."

This new trailer is awfully pretty but not terribly informative aside from the fact that dragons are huge, dangerous and think you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup, but the attached press release did confirm that Tencent and Capcom are developing the game for "international release" and not just Chinese markets, as some fans worried. The Monster Hunter Online beta test is expected to begin in June, although whether that too will take place beyond China's borders has not yet been announced.

BabySinclair

Apr 15, 2009
This trailer made me excited for one thing if nothing else, a game finally puts the arrow on the correct side of the bow.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
While the trailer is nice and all but the only good part (info wise) is that mystery new monster shrouded in the shadow. It's gonna be a while until we get a good look at that.

FancyNick

Mar 4, 2013
Great, now I got my hopes up. You better not disappoint me again Capcom, my heart can only take so much.

Dec 14, 2009
It's great to know that Europe always gets fucked over when it comes to Monster Hunter.

Wait, it's not great at all.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
Its really annoying how Capcom chooses to ignore the West all the goddamn time.
Fixed that for you. ;)
But I share your sentiment. Monster Hunter is one of my all-time favourite franchises, and it sucks seeing the best instalments not released over here.

EDIT:
Daystar Clarion said:
It's great to know that Europe always gets fucked over when it comes to Monster Hunter.

Wait, it's not great at all.
Good to see I'm not the only one getting pissed off about this.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Unlike frontier this one will be for the "international" market.. whatever that means.. but atleast its more then we ever got out of Frontier.

Wich still confuses me alot..

Why make another monster hunter for PC when you allready have frontier that gets updated all the time... wouldnt it be easier to simply translate frontier instead of building a new one with a new engine from scratch?

Issurru

Jun 13, 2010
Karadalis said:
Unlike frontier this one will be for the "international" market.. whatever that means.. but atleast its more then we ever got out of Frontier.

Wich still confuses me alot..

Why make another monster hunter for PC when you already have frontier that gets updated all the time... wouldn't it be easier to simply translate frontier instead of building a new one with a new engine from scratch?
Shhhhh you're using logic I'm fairly certain that's frowned upon. Albeit I love the graphics update and I don't think it really hurts.

Dear Capcom, please release this in North America, at the bare minimum please release it in Canada. If not I have some words for you, two specific ones that If someone bothers to quote me I will give them a cookie.

But seriously, I would forgive you for all your other Bullshit over the years if you release this In North America... Well maybe not everything, I am still really angry about the whole Mega Man Legends 3 thing, but you can make it better. I BELIEVE IN YOU CAPCOM! now don't go letting me down and breaking my heart again

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
"Internatonal release" for the Japanese probably means they will let the Chinese and Koreans have some of it.

And acutally i wonder how well MH3U did in America/Europe? I imagine if it did well enough then the Capcom exec's xenophobic habits will be overidden by money.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
As long as we get MH4 with its 3DS-supported online play I will be happy, but damn does this look amazing.

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
Smart move, it'll be the first mmo where the swords the size of snowboards sort of make sense.

ex951753

Nov 11, 2010
Back then, we could actually learn something about the game by watching the trailer. Now, the word "trailer" is just associated with a movie clip that has nothing to do with the actual game play....

Slaanesh

Aug 1, 2011
ex951753 said:
Back then, we could actually learn something about the game by watching the trailer. Now, the word "trailer" is just associated with a movie clip that has nothing to do with the actual game play....
This trailer shows what Monster Hunter has been about for the past 9 years, what are you talking about?
DVS BSTrD said:
Its really annoying how Japan chooses to ignore america sometimes.
Releasing Monster Hunter outside of Asia is usually seen as a big risk for Capcom, and you can't blame them. I want this as bad as the next MH fan, but I understand why Frontier was never given to us.

Spacefrog

Apr 27, 2011
Wait a Monster hunter for PC?
I can finally show my friends the way of the monster hunter.

TheBaron87

Jul 12, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
Its really annoying how Japan chooses to ignore america sometimes.
Well, why shouldn't they? The game doesn't sell over here, and Monster Hunter fans don't seem to be doing a lot to change that. The cost of localization would not be worth it if only the very, very small percentage of current MH players (which itself is a tiny community in the west) with CryEngine3-capable PCs would be their potential market. Prayer isn't going to make the game profitable. Every MH player has the means to get more people interested. If you can stream it like I do, do that. If you can make videos, put them on Youtube, if you just have a 3DS, download the MH3U demo and hand it off to your friends so they can try fighting that Lagombi without all the prepwork. Capcom isn't going to market such a niche game to people they believe are only interested in shooting things, but that doesn't mean we can't pick up the slack and support the series ourselves.