Yet Another Busty Ninja Joins Dead Or Alive 5 Ultimate

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Yet Another Busty Ninja Joins Dead Or Alive 5 Ultimate

Meet Momiji, the latest, hilariously stereotypical addition to the Dead or Alive cast.

When you think of Tecmo Koei's Dead or Alive series, what is the one thing that immediately comes to mind as missing from the franchise? It doesn't matter what your response might be, as Tecmo Koei has answered that question for us: Obviously what the series needs is more women trained in ninjitsu with wildly unrealistic breast proportions - thus, the company has invited Momiji to join the cast of Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate.

DoA5 Ultimate, as its name suggests, is the latest, greatest version of Dead or Alive 5 (a game which has previously seen release on the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and Vita handheld). Momiji is a character from Tecmo Koei's more recent Ninja Gaiden games, and along with one other mystery character and a few minor tweaks to the gameplay found in Dead or Alive 5 Plus, she serves as the key bit of novelty in DoA5 Ultimate. As for what she brings to the table, imagine Ryu Haybusa as an overtly sexualized Japanese woman, or Kasumi as ... well, Ryu Hayabusa, I guess. Point being: Ninja lady meets stereotypical Tecmo Koei concepts of how human anatomy works. Watch the video if you don't believe me!

Moving beyond my vague incredulity at the seemingly endless post-pubescent existence enjoyed by developer Team Ninja, I will admit that I'm somewhat intrigued by those moving statues seen in the clip. They're obviously employed as part of the game's destructible arenas, but that's always been one of the biggest draws for Dead or Alive, so increasing the number of ludicrous methods to cause damage to your foe is a plus.

While we don't yet have a solid release date for the game, Tecmo Koei recently announced that Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate will be available on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 as both a retail title and digital download at some point this fall. Sadly, we also lack a price point for the game, but we expect it to be less than the $60 price tag worn by the original Dead or Alive 5.

Source: YouTube [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dhsNqnMetQ]

RaNDM G

Apr 28, 2009
I'm all for new characters, but buying a new game? I thought publishers were moving away from the Ultimate Alpha X trend.

King Kazma

Apr 25, 2013
Busty characters, video games. Well, nothing to debate here that hasn't been said before.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
This smells of the same kind of thing Street Fighter does. The more characters they add in new iterations the more same-y the new characters feel to those already in the game. I guess I am just spoiled in that regard though... I do play BlazBlue after all.

laserwulf

Dec 30, 2007
Man, glad I held off on buying DoA5. Between these shenanigans and GotY editions with all of the DLC, it's like the industry is conditioning us to not buy their games for at least a year after release. I'm actually starting to get nostalgic for the fact that back in the 16-bit era the games I'd buy were each a complete, self-contained, (usually) finished product.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
Fappy said:
This smells of the same kind of thing Street Fighter does. The more characters they add in new iterations the more same-y the new characters feel to those already in the game.
I agree. It's been said Team Ninja has been going under since Itagaki left (love or hate the man, the the games had charm under him) and I think this is just one more sign of that.

Fappy said:
I guess I am just spoiled in that regard though... I do play BlazBlue after all.
Well at least those new characters look DISTINCTIVELY different. Here we just get a cross between Kokoro and Lei Fang with Hayabusa's moveset.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Lovely Mixture said:
Fappy said:
This smells of the same kind of thing Street Fighter does. The more characters they add in new iterations the more same-y the new characters feel to those already in the game.
I agree. It's been said Team Ninja has been going under since Itagaki left (love or hate the man, the the games had charm under him) and I think this is just one more sign of that.

Fappy said:
I guess I am just spoiled in that regard though... I do play BlazBlue after all.
Well at least those new characters look DISTINCTIVELY different. Here we just get a cross between Kokoro and Lei Fang with Hayabusa's moveset.
Character movesets in BlazBlue are so different that you'd almost think you were playing a completely different game going from Lichi to Hakumen. In theory the Drive button is supposed to smooth the transition, but it's getting to the point that the Drive attacks are so wildly different that the only thing they have in common is that they're mapped to the same button XD

I love it.

Apr 5, 2008
Number of shits given is less than or equal to zero. The threads about sexism in games have gone on long enough now and Team Ninja is what it is. I don't buy their games because of boobs, I don't buy them because I'm not interested in them. Any game that has boobs in it is now thoroughly offensive, it's become almost farcical at this point.

Funny thing is, give players a character creator with sliders, most of the time the lady's chest slider is as far right as it can go.

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
Oh dear, looks like they got some Kotaku in my Escapist.

Really, was there a need for such cheap shots? Is there really a need for dragging down the report with basically "lolololol Team Ninja sux lololol they pervs"? That's been established ages ago.

And to be fair, gameplay wise, DoA5 was the best entry the franchise has had since DoA2 (in my humble opinion).

In fact, you're now indirectly insulting your colleagues considering The Escapist gave DoA5 a respectable 4/5 score when it came out last year.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/9996-Dead-or-Alive-5-Review

Furthermore, considering the Escapist's review of the game helped convince me to buy the game, does that mean you're insulting me by proxy as well for believing that review had any merit at all?

Drauger

Dec 22, 2011
I have to agree with the rest of the posts, the escapist is getting too kotaku lately..... sad really.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
I don't understand how boobs being large makes the game sexualized. Are you saying they should be A-B cups top in order to make the game not sexual or something? Boob physics might not be accurate at all, but it's never said "My problem is just with the physics." It's always they're (the characters) over sexualized. Newsflash, many woman have large breasts. Some may be more perfectly proportioned than others. Especially in the USA where the average bust size has only increased with time.

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
Hmm? I'm not a Kotaku reader, why are so many people saying Escapist's pulling a Kotaku?

Is that site still desperately jogging half a mile behind the "oh look, boobs!" bandwagon?

Hehehe, reminds me of the time when violent/gory games were constantly used by journalists to grab attention and now they're just a good ol' laugh. It seems we've reached the exact same point with boobs in games >_>

Eri said:
I don't understand how boobs being large makes the game sexualized. Are you saying they should be A-B cups top in order to make the game not sexual or something? Boob physics might not be accurate at all, but it's never said "My problem is just with the physics." It's always they're (the characters) over sexualized. Newsflash, many woman have large breasts. Some may be more perfectly proportioned than others. Especially in the USA where the average bust size has only increased with time.
Urgh, don't start his now, too many people will quote/disagree with you and the thread will quickly spiral into a shitfest that has absolutely nothing to do with Dead Or Alive.

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
Eri said:
It's true really, but like Yuuki says, that's a discussion for another place and time. That said, if you'd make the topic I'd gladly join the discussion. While there definitely need to be more women of various shapes and sizes in gaming, I don't feel that A) Only large breasted women are sexualised, and B) that a large breasted woman isn't sexualised by default.

Belated

Feb 2, 2011
Drauger said:
I have to agree with the rest of the posts, the escapist is getting too kotaku lately..... sad really.
Lately? The Escapist has been like this for almost a year now. If anything, Kotaku has gotten too The Escapist lately!

I'd write a long post about why it's wrong to hate people for their fetishes, why sexualization isn't morally wrong or automatically sexist, why it's perfectly natural to exercise one's sexuality even through the use of video games, and how Dead or Alive isn't sexist just for being sexy, but I just can't take any of this shit seriously anymore. As The Escapist and Kotaku start to sound more and more like the Catholic church with their increasingly puritanical, prudish values, it's hard to feel like they're really here to have a rational discussion. They're not. They're just lazily grabbing on to any female character who has the audacity to dare to look attractive, and taking cheap shots to increase their traffic, ironically exploiting sexy women far more shamefully than the artists themselves do.

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
Funnily enough, even Moviebob has written a post here about how sexualisation isn't bad per se! So yeah, it strikes me as odd that this actually got past the editors when it directly contradicts the viewpoints of at least two members of the Escapist, of which one is a pretty prominent one.

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
You know, there's still a very solid fighting game based on easy counters underneath all that squirming mass of flesh.

mooncalf

<Insert Avatar Here>
Jul 3, 2008
I would love to see more "real" women in games, but not to the exclusion of the lovely ludicrousness we already have. :)
Jiggle on you crazy diamond.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
What surprises me the most about this is the fact that this is a Japanese game subtitled Ultimate that isn't on the Wii U.

Well guys, I'm going to be on Deviant art for the next few hours to see what exactly people have imagined Momiji is into etc. Wonder how long it'll be before she's playing volleyball with the rest of them...(haven't bought a DOA since 3 and I doubt I'll be getting this one.)

Dragoon

Jan 19, 2010
Pedro The Hutt said:
Oh dear, looks like they got some Kotaku in my Escapist.

Really, was there a need for such cheap shots? Is there really a need for dragging down the report with basically "lolololol Team Ninja sux lololol they pervs"? That's been established ages ago.

And to be fair, gameplay wise, DoA5 was the best entry the franchise has had since DoA2 (in my humble opinion).

In fact, you're now indirectly insulting your colleagues considering The Escapist gave DoA5 a respectable 4/5 score when it came out last year.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/9996-Dead-or-Alive-5-Review

Furthermore, considering the Escapist's review of the game helped convince me to buy the game, does that mean you're insulting me by proxy as well for believing that review had any merit at all?
I agree, this article just seems to be hating on this game for a trivial matter, it's actually a decent and pretty deep fighting game once you get past the boob physics.