Civilization V Video Shows How Art Wins Games

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Civilization V Video Shows How Art Wins Games

Edvard Munch can Scream all he likes, if it'll beat that blasted Ghandi.

When Firaxis' Lead Designer Ed Beach described the new terms of Civilization V: Brave New World's culture victory [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/interviews/10263-The-Culture-and-Diplomacy-of-Civ-V-Brave-New-World], he said Firaxis intended to improve on the title's existing mechanics. In this latest gameplay video, you can see exactly what he meant. Ah, the Mona Lisa; ahh, cultural imperialism. Drag those tourists, kicking and screaming, towards your museums and archaeological marvels. Just try not to get Edvard Munch killed in a city siege; that would be embarrassing.

Remember all those pesky barbarians littering the map in the early stages of the game? Well, now they have an additional use, apart from training your military and providing a useful pretext for buddying up with Monaco. Once you kill them off and pillage their camp, their bones and artefacts remain, until rediscovered centuries later by your archaeologists. Or perhaps, Glorious Leader, you would prefer to invest in trade caravans; they may not look like much at the start - camels are seldom beautiful - but late game, your network of connections reaps tourism benefits.

Civilization V: Brave New World, the latest Civilization expansion, is due out for PC July 2013.

Source: 2KGames YouTube [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrpTNs7pxps&feature=player_embedded]

9thRequiem

Sep 21, 2010
As someone who loves making civilizations heavily Culture-based, this news interests me. I was already planning on picking this expansion up on release, now I'm positively excited for it.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
... my army of fat late 50s men in hawaiian shirts with their spray tanned 30s something trophy wives, photography obsession and frequent flier miles will trump your giant death robots!

Bostur

Mar 14, 2011
Culture be damned we should build lances to pierce the bleeding hearts of our enemies. Then we can steal their works of art and win a cultural victory that way.

I'm in two minds about this expansion. On one hand I don't really like Civ5 much, on the other I'm just too darn curious about what they have put together.

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
I just keep hoping for a return to Alpha Centauri.

Not likely, but a man can hope right?

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Huh, so that's how you pronounce "Meier".

I wasn't too impressed with the last expansion, but this one is looking reasonably promising.

JohnHayne

Apr 28, 2013
Bostur said:
Culture be damned we should build lances to pierce the bleeding hearts of our enemies. Then we can steal their works of art and win a cultural victory that way.
To avoid that, the tourism should influence the happiness of a civilization in the matters of war. If you are to attack a civilization which culture your civilization likes, you should receive some kind of penalty...

IndianaJonny

Mysteron Display Team
Jan 6, 2011
Karloff said:
...new terms of Civilization V: Brave New World's culture victory
There, fixed that for ya', buddy.

Love the archaeology feature; especially given how many History grads play Civ already!

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
I bought the GOTY edition of the base game last year, and have yet to even install it. For some reason this game has collected dust in my library, with me all the while saying "I reeeally should play it, I'd bet I'd love it."

I blame my back log of games.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Capital stuff! Very much looking forward to this next expansion. Loved Gods and Kings. It was exquisite.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
carpathic said:
I just keep hoping for a return to Alpha Centauri.

Not likely, but a man can hope right?
I would buy the shit out of that game.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
I didn't have high hopes but I have to say that it looks moderately interesting. I know I'll get it anyway once it's below 10? on Steam. I just can't help it.

LongAndShort

I'm pretty good. Yourself?
May 11, 2009
Looks like it'll be an interesting expansion. Gotta say, I'm pretty excited.

Not that it matters all that much, but does anyone else think the voice over in the trailer sounds like it's been sped up? Sounded a bit weird.

TKretts3

Jul 20, 2010
Your culture will mean nothing under the storm of Shaka's armies, swarming upon your cities. >:D

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Finally! Those remains from heroic battles, and razed city tiles, might be of use now!

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
And all is forgiven due to Civilization. Civilization 5 is really quite an awesome game and they are making it even more awesome.