The Forest: Open-World Survival Horror In a Lush Paradise

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
The Forest: Open-World Survival Horror In a Lush Paradise

The Forest is an upcoming survival-horror game that will set you alone against a clan of genetic mutants on a dangerous, deserted island.

Most horror games, at least the ones I've played, tend to be very linear experiences, because that's the easiest and best way to craft the creepy/scary narratives and set pieces that bring it all together. Monster closets work for awhile but if you really want to scare people you have to build up to it and then drop the hammer - or not, which is sometimes even worse. But The Forest is going to try something a little different by setting its "terrifying" first-person survival-horror game in a fully open and explorable world.

The game is set in a "living, breathing forest with changing weather patterns, plants that grow and die [and] tides that roll in and out with the day/night cycle," plus "a vast network of caves and underground lakes" below the surface. It actually looks quite lovely, although the plane crash that put you there is admittedly kind of a buzzkill, but as is so often the case, that beauty hides a dark secret. DUN DUN!

The website at survivetheforest.com [http://survivetheforest.com/] promises "complete player freedom," saying that you can cut down trees to make a fire or build shelters, scavenge food or plant seeds and grow it, lay traps and even decorate your home with stuff you find lying around. "Explore and build during the day. Defend your base at night. Craft weapons and tools," it says. "Bunker down during the evening or bring the fight directly to the enemy."

It sounds like you're going to be stuck on this island for an awfully long time. It also sounds a lot like Minecraft, albeit with better graphics and a greater focus on the "game" side of the coin rather than the "sandbox." Creepers might startle you, after all, but The Forest is being promoted as a legitimately scary survival horror game, which is something altogether different.

The horror genre is getting a little overstuffed but if The Forest can make its open-world concept work, it should really stand out from the crowd. It's being developed for the PC with Oculus Rift support and while there's no Kickstarter, which is kind of odd these days, there is a Steam Greenlight [http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=143803558] page where you can throw it a thumbs-up if you like what you see. It's currently expected to come out late this year.

Tortilla the Hun

Decidedly on the Fence
May 7, 2011
Now this looks like it might be creepy as hell.

...and I want it.

Definitely gonna thumbs-up it and maybe even pre-order when it becomes available.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Fuck yeah, finally something that tries to go further then "You walk like a turtle and there is some unkillable monster (Slender oh oh oh) coming after you, good luck on hitting the Retry button every 5 minutes to beat our 20 minute game".

This one actually looks interesting (minus the title, could have been more creative there) and I hope that they make the nights varied depending on if there are clouds (moon light or pitch black) and stuff like rain that just makes harder to listen to the creatures.

One thing that I would like to see is a varied amount of creatures, not just "that guy" that after the first few encounters just gets tiresome.

JohnHayne

Apr 28, 2013
I find very scary to explore a cave in Minecraft, specially without proper equipment. This games seems to capture this feeling, while presenting its owns features...

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
It also sounds a lot like Minecraft, albeit with better graphics and a greater focus on the "game" side of the coin rather than the "sandbox."
Or a first-person Don't Starve with an emphasis on horror rather than you as the center of an Edward Gorey black-comedy slapstick.

Anyone else find the theme that plays through most of the trailer rather self-consciously "Lost"-y?

Whatwhat

Feb 23, 2012
I am temtped to like this but it seems to much like a rip-off of Miasmata (haunting piano music, tropical setting, even the goddamn lighter...). On the other hand that game needs more ripping-of. You go guys :D

Mr Fixit

Oct 22, 2008
This looks great, I've always thought survival games should be open like this.

I really need a new PC, so much good stuff that I'm missing.

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
Whatwhat said:
I am temtped to like this but it seems to much like a rip-off of Miasmata (haunting piano music, tropical setting, even the goddamn lighter...). On the other hand that game needs more ripping-of. You go guys :D
...was this a coincidence or did that come to mind because Miasmata is on sale this weekend on GOG?

fletch_talon

Nov 6, 2008
I like the idea of the whole living forest, tides, seasons plants growing and dying plenty of stuff to explore etc.
Not a big fan of horror genre stuff, I don't get a big kick out of scaring myself to be honest.

So I hope this game does well, but mostly because I'd like to see what mods might come of it.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
The whole piano playing and setting remind me a hell alot of LOST (well they both in nature) and suvival aspect of Minecraft (the wood chopping).
Also did anyone got a good look at those mutants? They're pretty much pale and featureless humans (no eyes, mouth etc)!

Whatwhat

Feb 23, 2012
Zombie_Moogle said:
Whatwhat said:
...was this a coincidence or did that come to mind because Miasmata is on sale this weekend on GOG?
No, I finished that game ages ago...Miasmata is burned deep into the core of my soul and I shall never forget it :D

Whatwhat

Feb 23, 2012
Zombie_Moogle said:
Whatwhat said:
No, I finished that game ages ago...Miasmata is burned deep into the core of my soul and I shall never forget it :D

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Looks like a ripoff of Miasmata... me gusta.

I hope they change the monster design, they just don't look as scary as they want them to be.

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
Whatwhat said:
Zombie_Moogle said:
Whatwhat said:
Huh. I might just pick up a copy while it's on their weekend sale :)

CZ_Rage

May 10, 2013
The Plunk said:
I wish game developers would stop showing off the sodding monsters in the trailer (as more than just glimpses). There's this little thing called suspense, it's quite important in horror.
Amen!

I´m not sure what to think about that, except that I like the idea, dislike the monsters (not scary!) and I have some serious doubts regarding long-term motivation. It will be quite easy to find out some kind of "exploit" or "ultimate approach" to keep save and build your ultimate fortress while becoming the natural predator of the creatures lurking around...

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
Not going to lie, most of the time in horror games I find the music distracting and irritating. I think this might be a game I would like to try out if the music is not forced on you. There are several horror games that I stopped playing because even after I turned the music off they would turn it back on when there was some event about to happen.