Richard Garriott Wants To Do A New Game

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Richard Garriott Wants To Do A New Game

Less than two months after he walked away from videogame development in order to "pursue other interests," Ultima mastermind Richard Garriott says he's ready to make a comeback.

Following his 12-day Tabula Rasa forums [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/86779]. "As such, I am leaving NCsoft to pursue those interests."

But now, as part of a brief 2008 retrospective on gaming for the BBC [http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7804564.stm], the famed designer said he's ready to pick up where he left off. "After 25 years at Origin, the last thing I wanted to make was yet another medieval fantasy game," he said. "Now, after a very interesting break, I'm keen to get back into the fray and work on a new game. Probably medieval fantasy and probably online; there's something very powerful about getting people together."

Despite the Blizzard [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/87610]," he continued. "The number of people they have converted is just amazing. They have shown all of us what good game development is all about."

What Garriott actually has in mind for his next project is a mystery. Will he retreat to the familiar stomping grounds of NCsoft [http://www.uoherald.com/].

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Oh Garriott.

Well, from the sounds of his quotes, he's looking to make a WoW-killer. Which is, really, a stupid thing to do for a few reasons:

- You'll either make a game just like WoW, but then why would people play yours? They've got WoW.
- You'll make a game worse then WoW.
- You'll make a game that's too 'different' but yet too 'the same'.

I'd love to be proven wrong. Especially since I'd like to see an MMO that doesn't get boring after a two months...which has been every MMO I've played.

showboat

Jan 2, 2009
Garriott craves attention. He's just blowing smoke. He'll say anything for Narcissistic Supply and Escapist can be relied on to give it to him and not ask any hard questions. To create an online game, you need investors, a publisher and people who believe in you enough to risk their time and effort. The only one with enough money to do it is his brother! What they did to NcSoft was shameful. Any investor would have to be crazy to trust him again.

He's always saying he's going to finish his mansion on the lake, too. It halted construction in 2000.

Escapist really ought to do the story on how much money was wasted on the Garriotts and Tabula Rasa. It's the biggest game flop, ever.

Rajin Cajun

Sep 12, 2008
I liked Ultima but ever since Garriott put himself in the game as Lord British it is like his ego has been out of control. Yes Garriott I understand Ultima was awesome. Yes it was pretty revolutionary in its time. No you won't ever recover your former glory. Oh and no you are not fuckin Lord British now come off that makeshift throne you crazy twat.

CUnk

Oct 24, 2008
"If I had to pick a developer who has done a bang up job, it would be [World of Warcraft developer] Blizzard."
Wow, he really going out on a limb here. Maybe WoW will finally get the attention it deserves after languishing in obscurity for so long.

It was left out of the summary but he also stated that "Google is very good at searching the web" and "Apple has a very popular MP3 player".

edit: Oh, he also has this to say after his return from orbit: "SPACE IS BIG!!"

Volstag9

Apr 28, 2008
If he somehow succeeds and doesn't make another failure i will be completely and utterly surprised.

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
thedrop2zer0 said:
Anyone else wondering what this two-month long interest he pursued was? Did he feel empowered enough after traveling into space to attempt losing his virginity to a woman?
OOh, ouch. That's low. I'm sure that by his age he's had sex with something.

I've never been a fan of MMORPGS. If he can make one that doesn't involve grind. You know, like a regular RPG. I might just put some money into one for once.

Helnurath

Nov 27, 2008
What can he make that has not already been done better? Seriously, I played Tabula Rasa, it was fun for a few weeks, then after the millionth base recapture It got boring and full of grind. The only thing I can see him making that would be intresting would be to take one of the old ultima games and remake it with nicer graphics.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
Wait, he thinks that Blizzard did a good job with WoW? Amazing, I never knew that...

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
You know it'll be Ultima because it's a mystery. If it were a brand new IP, he would just tell us, so that he could start building hype for it.