CD Projekt Gives Witcher 2 Mod Kit Away For Free

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
CD Projekt Gives Witcher 2 Mod Kit Away For Free

This REDkit is in open beta right now, for all your dwarf-booting needs.

Game designers need the proper tools, so it's just as well that The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/3443-The-Witcher-2-Assassins-of-Kings] developer CD Projekt RED is giving away its REDkit mod tool for free. It's in open beta right now, which basically means that you can play around with it to your heart's content. Or you could kick a dwarf into the abyss. It's your choice; you're the designer.

Closed beta for this mod kit recently ended with a competition, organized by CD Projekt and won by Philipp Weber's scenario, which takes Geralt to wealthy township Lykaon to help an old friend. The REDkit requires that the modder have The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings installed on the PC's hard drive, patched all the way to version 3.3. There's already a substantial wiki [http://wiki.cdprojektred.com/redkit/Welcome+to+the+REDkit+Wiki] about the mod, for those who have questions, or find themselves befuddled in the middle of creating a scenario.

If you want to play around with these user-friendly terrain tools, or if you have ambitions to build a town as interesting as Lykaon, best head over to the REDkit site [http://redkit.cdprojektred.com/] for more details.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Took their bloody time didn't they?
But with Witcher 3 counting out soon-ish I guess it makes sense.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Godamn it CD Projekt Red! how will you make a profit by treating customers well... and wheres your over inflated budget to use an excuse!

but in all seriousness good on them, although maybe it could have been done sooner

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
"Gives away modkit for free"? Wait, hold on - name a single company that ever charged for modding tools other than French niche developer Eversim.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Awesome!

Now, random designers of the internet - program additional free adventure modules for my amusement! Bwahahahaaa!

Seriously. I want some free adventure packs. Get craken.

Coach Morrison

Jun 8, 2009
Monsterfurby said:
"Gives away modkit for free"? Wait, hold on - name a single company that ever charged for modding tools other than French niche developer Eversim.
That was my thinking when I read the title, how often do developers really charge for those?

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
This is the kind of thing that'll make Witcher 2 live forever, if it isn't a game that'll do that already. I can't wait to see what the people do.

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
You know with the mod kit finally out, I want someone to try an remake Witcher 1 with it *drools*. I love both games to death, but I'd be all over a RED-Engine powered version of Witcher 1.

Helikaon

Sep 18, 2012
CD Projekt undoubtedly gave us the gift the keeps on giving with this game!

Bring on the Mods!

Chris Tian

May 5, 2012
Does this mean I get a ton of awesome free content for The Witcher 2, like Skyrims mods?

I think its time for the happy dance.