Learn About The History Of Piracy Courtesy Assassin's Creed IV

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Learn About The History Of Piracy Courtesy Assassin's Creed IV

Most videogame trailers are purely promotional tools, but Ubisoft's latest teaser for Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag couches its capitalist goals in the pleasant haze of an arguably accurate history lesson.

The Assassin's Creed franchise has always relied heavily on actual, real-world history. The first game focused on the late-medieval middle east, while the second was set within Renaissance Italy. The third, in turn, took place during the American Revolution, and Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag transports players to the pirate-infested waters of the 18th century. While none of these games could double as a quality history text, this reliance on reality gives the series a unique identity, which Ubisoft seemingly wants to expand with Assassin's Creed IV.

Thus, the firm is offering prospective fans something of a primer on the era the game portrays. The clip embedded at top-right serves as the first part of a three-vignette series of short lessons focused entirely on the history of piracy (before the term was corrupted to describe basement-dwelling media hoarders). More specifically, this video focuses on "the brutal life of a sailor in the 18th century, the 'Pirate King' Henry Avery whose exploits grew to legend and inspired a generation, and the Spanish War of Succession which sowed the seeds of piracy in the Caribbean."

As far as historial accuracy, Ubisoft does a pretty solid job of covering its subjects, though the clip's two-minute runtime hampers its ability to portray the events of the time period in full. More egregious though is Ubisoft's subtle attempt at painting Assassin's Creed IV as a historial retelling of these events, when it's almost certainly going to include all kinds of tiresome references to the Animus, golden apples and whatever Dan Brownian conspiracy theory the developers can attach to Blackbeard et alia.

That said, the video is still a refreshing change of pace as far as promotional clips go. We'll take a short history lesson over non-stop explosions, swears and vaguely cinematic camera angles any time. Propers to Ubisoft for at least attempting to teach players a bit of history, even if most are only interested in the game insofar as they're able to stab dudes in the neck in hilariously brutal fashion.

Source: YouTube [https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8Er9WuISTps]

TheCaptain

A Guy In A Hat
Feb 7, 2012
AGAIN with the debauchery! Why do they always treat debauchery as something bad?

...really looking forward to this. Hope Edward is as fun as his son.

Big_Boss_Mantis

May 28, 2012
Ubisoft really managed to annualize Assassin's Creed to the point where I just can't even play it anymore.

I had a great deal of fun with one (yes, flawed execution, but a helluva great idea) and two (free running sandbox bliss, even if a departure from the core idea of the first). And I was positively surprised by how Brotherhood played really well and didn't felt like just an cashgrab.
I even enjoyed the PSP one (played much like the first, but the story stood between non-existant and crap).

But then they started releasing them faster than I could beat them (in a reasonable pace), and I didn't felt like playing AC one after another, nonstop.
And Revelations was really, really bad! I couldn't even finish it! (Ezio again? didn't we played through all his story yet? tower defense? And all those materials and bombs?)

Now it just feels tired. I can't stand anymore of those accents, those Animae hubs, that lacklustre combat, that "I didn't command you to jump there, dammit!", and so on...

And that's a pity. The first one was supposed to be "Hitman meets Shadow Of Colossus", with promising story and good settings... I really would like to see that done right.

nerdpride

Dec 15, 2009
I don't think I learned anything historical from AC2 watching it on Spoiler Warning. Maybe since then they've done better? Still, I don't get the impression they should have a reputation as good history material.

Also I feel the need to say "It's a me! Mario!" was unforgettably bad and completely out of place.

Also also I want to hear someone try to argue that it can't be too bad since it's Ubisoft and not EA.

s_h_a_d_o

Mr Propellerhead
Jun 15, 2010
'Historical accuracy' my [cutl]ass! Just seems to perpetuate a [Hollywood-ish] myth of unfounded romanticism imho.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
Well the historical accuracy of this game is highly questionable. Still, I am very much intrigued. Looking forward to what this game will shape up to look like in the months to come.

Eiv

Oct 17, 2008
dunam said:
White hoods are in fashion in any age.
I would say nowadays they are slightly out of place.

First google image for 'white hoods' =

Wouldn't mind seeing Ezio go to town on these guys.

The

Jan 24, 2012
s_h_a_d_o said:
'Historical accuracy' my [cutl]ass! Just seems to perpetuate a [Hollywood-ish] myth of unfounded romanticism imho.
Granted, this was actually what sailors who sought out to be pirates saw it as. Adventure, freedom, gold. Until they found the harsh reality of course. Chances are the game will skimp out on the harsh details and get straight to the adventure.

You know what it needs, though? A scurvy meter, which can only be reduced by consuming large amounts of whatever counteracts scurvy.

s_h_a_d_o

Mr Propellerhead
Jun 15, 2010
The said:
s_h_a_d_o said:
Granted, this was actually what sailors who sought out to be pirates saw it as. Adventure, freedom, gold. Until they found the harsh reality of course. Chances are the game will skimp out on the harsh details and get straight to the adventure.

You know what it needs, though? A scurvy meter, which can only be reduced by consuming large amounts of whatever counteracts scurvy.
Scurvy results from a deficiency of vitamin C, so they'll be fine if the game turns out to be a lemon.
:p

Alssadar

Sep 19, 2010
Sleekit said:
ARTICLE XI - The musicians shall have rest on the Sabbath Day only by right. On all other days by favour only.
Yo ho ho! It looks like the pirate's life for me!

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
nerdpride said:
I don't think I learned anything historical from AC2 watching it on Spoiler Warning. Maybe since then they've done better? Still, I don't get the impression they should have a reputation as good history material.
Meh, Brotherhood taught me a bit about the Borgia's, and i know a bit of Italian thanks to the Ezio Trilogy.

Obviously the things that happen in the games are not accurate, the overall plot for example. but most of the characters and how they act is pretty accurate.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
Sounds like a great pirate game. Too bad there's going to be some half-assed attempt to tie it into the Assassin's Creed franchise.