Sony Slashes Price Of Metro: Last Light For PS+ Subscribers

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Sony Slashes Price Of Metro: Last Light For PS+ Subscribers

Though it doesn't hit shelves until tomorrow, Sony is already advertising a discount on post-apocalyptic survival horror shooter Metro: Last Light.

Were you a fan of 4A Games' Metro 2033? You should be. Though it never received the attention of a Halo sequel, Metro 2033 was a very solid, extremely atmospheric shooter that relied on a legitimately spooky setting to generate tension, instead of simply tossing cheap jump scares at players every time they walked by an unassuming window. Its sequel, Metro: Last Light, hits shelves on May 14 (tomorrow), and all reports indicate [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/10324-Metro-Last-Light-Review-A-New-Dawn] that it improves on its predecessor in almost every important way.

Great, right? Hold on, don't get too excited just yet. I haven't even covered the best bit.

When Last Light makes it retail debut, it will feature the standard $60 price tag. However, those of you with subscriptions to Sony's PlayStation Plus service will be able to pick up Metro: Last Light at a 20-percent discount. That's only $48.

Granted, there are a few minor caveats. First, you'll need the hard drive space to download and store the title. Sony's discount doesn't affect games purchased at retail, only from its PlayStation Network Store. Second, that PlayStation Plus subscription isn't exactly gratis. The cheapest way to subscribe to the service is via its one year subscription, which will set you back $50. There's also a three month subscription option available for $18, but that works out to be the more expensive option.

Source: PlayStation.blog [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/05/13/playstation-plus-knytt-underground-rolls-to-the-instant-game-collection/]

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Considering this game got soo under the radar with little to no promotion, I don't think it'll be long before it hits under $30.

MarsAtlas said:
Maybe you can use some of the remaining money you would've spent to buy Hard mode.
Dafuq? For real?

purifico

Oct 29, 2009
mysecondlife said:
Considering this game got soo under the radar with little to no promotion, I don't think it'll be long before it hits under $30.

MarsAtlas said:
Maybe you can use some of the remaining money you would've spent to buy Hard mode.
Dafuq? For real?
Yup, and of course the developer is using the 'it's not us, it's the evil publisher's/retailer's fault' card. THeir attempts at making themselves look good in that situation are rather pathetic.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/05/10/if-metro-last-light-ranger-mode-is-the-way-it-was-meant-to-be-played-why-isnt-it-included-for-all-players-we-ask-koch/

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
RatherDull said:
If you're getting the digital version anyway, is there any reason NOT to get PS+?

Because if you buy an item with the PS+ discount, they won't take it away when your PS+ expires.
Cause, unless you are really eager to exhaust PS+'s perks, the cost of subscription isn't worth the discount on one title.

Generally, PS+ is a good, completely optional, service... 4-5 good deals basically evens out the subscription costs. However, most deals on PS+ are pretty small. Only monthly/seasonal deals really make PS+ offers interesting and they tend to be heavily themed (adventure month/Witches and Knights/Sci-Fi etc) and a lot of them are DLC related, meaning you have no guarantee that the next batch of deals are going to interest you.

Of course there is more to the PS+ service, but it's the deals that are most enticing. Personally I haven't been enticed enough, as I have yet to make the plunge to subscribe to it.

MarsAtlas said:
Yeah, essentially "the way the game was meant to be played" is pre-order DLC at some places. Don't get it there, you don't get it at all without paying for it. Don't know who to blame for this cock-up, since Metro: Last Light was developed mostly under THQ, and the rights to the series, and thus finish and publish Last Light, were bought by Ubisoft in, IIRC, late december.
(EDIT: Wow, that quote chain was pretty messed up :/)

As tempting as it is to put the spotlight on Ubisoft, Methinks this was planned before the dissolution of THQ.

It's pretty shitty, yet at the same time ballsy, marketing. Not too smart when it comes to PR, but at least we are seeing a more honest side to the more despicable DLC practices. They are literally telling people that you should pay extra for the experience as it was intended.

That's more then a little distressing and I'm not one to subscribe to the "companies are out to screw the customer" school of thought.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Serious question.

If you take up the discount and download it, do you have to keep up your subscription to PS+ to keep access to the game, like with the free download only titles?

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
fix-the-spade said:
Serious question.

If you take up the discount and download it, do you have to keep up your subscription to PS+ to keep access to the game, like with the free download only titles?
Nope.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Ragsnstitches said:
RatherDull said:
If you're getting the digital version anyway, is there any reason NOT to get PS+?

Because if you buy an item with the PS+ discount, they won't take it away when your PS+ expires.
Cause, unless you are really eager to exhaust PS+'s perks, the cost of subscription isn't worth the discount on one title.

Generally, PS+ is a good, completely optional, service... 4-5 good deals basically evens out the subscription costs.
$60 game, $48 with subscription, $18 for 3 months PS+. 18-(60-48)= $6. So you either only need to buy one more game at a $6 discount in those three months to be in profit, or enjoy $6 worth of free games during those 3 months

Little Gray

Sep 18, 2012
MarsAtlas said:
Yeah, essentially "the way the game was meant to be played" is pre-order DLC at some places. Don't get it there, you don't get it at all without paying for it. Don't know who to blame for this cock-up, since Metro: Last Light was developed mostly under THQ, and the rights to the series, and thus finish and publish Last Light, were bought by Ubisoft in, IIRC, late december.
Well you can guarantee it was not Ubisofts idea because it was announced that hard mode would be a preorder bonus long before THQ closed down and Ubisoft bought this game. Also metro 2033 did the exact same thing with selling the hard mode as dlc.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
Ragsnstitches said:
RatherDull said:

Generally, PS+ is a good, completely optional, service... 4-5 good deals basically evens out the subscription costs. However, most deals on PS+ are pretty small. Only monthly/seasonal deals really make PS+ offers interesting and they tend to be heavily themed (adventure month/Witches and Knights/Sci-Fi etc) and a lot of them are DLC related, meaning you have no guarantee that the next batch of deals are going to interest you.

Of course there is more to the PS+ service, but it's the deals that are most enticing. Personally I haven't been enticed enough, as I have yet to make the plunge to subscribe to it.
I'd say that surely the Instant Game Collection is a reeeeaaaaally big incentive. The standard games given away are inFamous 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Motorstorm: Apocalypse and Ratchet & Clank: All4One (yeah, I know, that last one's not that exciting :p), and the Vita gets Gravity Rush and Uncharted, then there's the monthly additions on top of that, I'd say the deal's pretty sweet for that alone.