Behold Detroit's Glorious RoboCop Statue

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Behold Detroit's Glorious RoboCop Statue

Imagination Station Detroit's RoboCop statue project [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107824-Angry-Detroit-Citizens-Fund-RoboCop-Statue] is almost upon us, and it has revealed some magnificent photos of the work-in-progress statue.

Detroit served as the setting for Science-Fiction epic RoboCop. This garnered a lot of mixed reactions for the city. On the one hand, it didn't help Detroit's stereotype of being a haven for violent crime and terrible people. On the other hand, RoboCop is awesome. So it should come as no supprise that when Detroit's Mayor asked for ideas on how to angry citizens [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107637-Detroit-Mayor-Refuses-to-Build-RoboCop-Statue] took to crowd funding platform Kickstarter to fund the project themselves.

The Kickstarter reached its funding goal back in 2011, and Imagination Station Detroit has been providing procedural updates on the progress of the statue since then. It has now finally revealed an almost-completed version of the statue.

"There's really nothing to say," said the team in a statement accompanying the photos, "Just take a look at RoboCop in his 10-foot-tall pixel-atom-perfect glory. So far he's passed from you, the backers, to Fred Barton's expert custom sculpting, to Across The Board Creation's 3D scanning, digital enlarging, physical fabrication, and assembly in foam, wax, clay, and steel (pictured below), and now he's headed to Venus Bronze Works in Detroit for casting and manufacturing in bronze. We bow to all parties for going above and beyond."

Behold, Detroit's soon-to-be RoboCop statue in all its glory:

[gallery=1489]

"He's not done yet," says the team, "but what you're seeing in these pictures is pretty much exactly how he'll look. We hope you love it as much as we do, and we hope you send good vibes to all the craftsmen and the production team who've run across the obstacle course to get here, as we all send good vibes back to you, the awesome, patient, and hopefully super happy backers!"

I only hope that they put this statue right outside of Detroit Mayor Dave Bing's house, so that every day he can be reminded of how he shot down the most badass idea that an American city has ever had.

Source: Kickstarter [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/imaginationstation/detroit-needs-a-statue-of-robocop/posts/479137]

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
That's awesome! And if the Mayor doesn't like it, he can put in an ever bigger ED-209 statue to counter-balance it :)

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
The Mayor will probably manage to set it up so he does the unveiling, and congratulate himself on not needing to spend his benefits funding... err I mean city budget on it, and benefit from selling ad spaces near the statue to cash in on the prospective tourists coming to see Robocop in Detroit.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
My favourite movie. But, whilst it's great to see Detroit giving the film some respect to this awesome title, it seems a little strange seeing as it wasn't actually filmed in Detroit at all.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Alfador_VII said:
That's awesome! And if the Mayor doesn't like it, he can put in an ever bigger ED-209 statue to counter-balance it :)
Sure, but only if it shoots passing executives into a bloody pulp.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
chimpzy said:
Alfador_VII said:
Now there's an idea to revitalize a city. Can we put a similar one in DC?

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Well, this is completely awesome news. Glad to see the statue's coming along, although i think it's only natural that at the unveiling they play this song:

Scars Unseen said:
chimpzy said:
Alfador_VII said:
Now there's an idea to revitalize a city. Can we put a similar one in DC?
I'd buy that for a dollar!

moggett88

May 2, 2013
That is pretty much the coolest thing people ever wasted money on. Too bad the reboot comes out soon, and the majority of people will no longer recognise the statue as the real Robocop :( Instead they will recognise a shitty GI-Joe-looking ripoff...

NightmareWarden

Jul 2, 2011
I realize those pictures show the statue made of foam, wax, clay and steel, but it really looks like it is a woodcarving in my eyes.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Given that it's in Detroit, once the statue is officially put up I give it about a week before it's stolen and/or defaced. :p

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
Holy shit, they actually went ahead with this? That is... I don't know what to make of that, really. I'm glad that it was funded by Kickstarter and not taxpayer's money though. Makes a bit more sense that way.

Big_Boss_Mantis

May 28, 2012
This. is. AWESOME.

I wish they made another one of Axel Foley, back when Eddie Murphy were the coolest guy around! (and even the mainstream movies had good plots, and the tropes were new, and hollywood wasn't a well oiled machine pumping out the same bull year in and year out)
Well, maybe they're saving that one for Beverly Hills!

CAPTCHA: picture perfect.
Nice to know you agree, captcha. It would be badass!

chiefohara

Sep 4, 2009
josemlopes said:
The pose would have been better if it was a copy of this:
I agree, the current pose seems a bit tame, but people probably would have objected to a 'violent' stance like the one in that photo