Take Two Offers Release Date For WWE 2K14

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Take Two Offers Release Date For WWE 2K14

Take Two Interactive now holds the WWE license, and its first release arrives this October.

For years the only way to get your officially-licensed wrestling game fix was to go through THQ. The company's WWE franchise was perennially solid, yet never quite achieved phenomenal status. Then THQ fell into dire financial straits and was forced to sell off almost everything it owned. As a result, Take Two Interactive is now the company to see for official games based on Vince McMahon's homoerotic, steroid-fueled empire, and the publisher's first effort in this vein will hit shelves on October 29.

Officially dubbed WWE 2K14 (presumably in an effort to bring the franchise in line with Take Two's other sports series), the game will be developed by Japanese studio Yuke's, the same people responsible for all of THQ's releases (as well as almost every officially-licensed wrestling game of note since the Nintendo 64 era). As a result, fans of THQ's efforts should expect WWE 2K14 to be largely similar to its predecessors. We expect a few evolutionary changes (and hopefully improved aesthetics), but nothing too revolutionary, as that's simply not the Yuke's style.

As for how you'll enjoy the game, you're going to have lots of options. According to Take Two's announcement, the company plans to publish WWE 2K14 "across all major platforms and distribution channels." So, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, iOS, Dyson Cyclone vacuum cleaners, etcetera.

Now that Take Two has established an official release date, expect to hear more details on WWE 2K14 in the near future. That's just how these things work out. First a simple piece of info falls from the publisher's mouth, then the dam bursts and everything comes rushing out like so many ill-conceived pick up lines at a poorly lit wedding reception.

Source: Take Two [http://ir.take2games.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=86428&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1818758&highlight]

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
Across all major platforms and distribution channels? We'll see. I won't hold my breath that it will come out for PC. Still haven't played the last one yet, need to get on that.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
LetalisK said:
Across all major platforms and distribution channels? We'll see. I won't hold my breath that it will come out for PC. Still haven't played the last one yet, need to get on that.
What was the last good one you wager? I think "Here Comes the Pain" was the last one I played that I liked which was >ages< ago.

http://www.ign.com/games/wwe-smackdown-here-comes-the-pain/ps2-546855 - judging by review score I wasn't alone >.>...

kypsilon

May 16, 2010
Until they decide to let people play mixed gender matches again this series is sadly dead to me. I used to make superheroes and table top role play characters for this game and throw them in the ring against each other and the WWE roster it was hella fun...until they took away having female characters doing anything but fight other divas. :p

I am curious though to see how this game differs from the last one I saw though post-THQ.

mrm5561

Apr 27, 2010
kypsilon said:
Until they decide to let people play mixed gender matches again this series is sadly dead to me. I used to make superheroes and table top role play characters for this game and throw them in the ring against each other and the WWE roster it was hella fun...until they took away having female characters doing anything but fight other divas. :p

I am curious though to see how this game differs from the last one I saw though post-THQ.
wow i thought i was alone when it came to being mad over not being able to wrestle the divas. i always thought playing a 3-1 handicap match was the best way to get used to the controls and different move sets. not to mention it was the only time i would use the divas

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Meh so new name same makers so same thing as usual. The last WWF/E Game played were the N64 ones due to how fun and challenging they were.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Meanwhile, WWE13 still needs at least one more patch, but to hell with that it seems.
On to the next one!