Baby Horror Among The Sleep Pushes Past Funding Goal

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Baby Horror Among The Sleep Pushes Past Funding Goal

Jim Sterling will be pleased.

Among the Sleep [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123944-Among-the-Sleep-Public-Alpha-Launches-Tomorrow], the horror title featuring you as an infant protagonist, managed to make its $200,000 Kickstarter goal with 3 days left to go. The total at time of writing is $205,844, which means the first stretch goal has been reached: the dev team all get ice cream! Another $20,000 might see this title get Oculus Rift support, but with so little time left on the clock, this baby'll need to get cracking if it wants to make that goal.

Core gameplay is all but finished, and the point of the Kickstarter was to raise enough cash that Krillbite Studio's development team could work on the title full time. The game is played from the perspective of a two year old, who can barely understand or navigate the world around him, as he plunges into a surreal dreamscape. As young as you are, fighting isn't an option, so you'll need to keep one eye on a hiding place lest you be caught by whatever-it-is lumbering across the room over there.

"I stake my foreskin on this game's success," Jim Sterling [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/7174-Bonus-Jimquisition-Among-the-Sleep-Preview] of Destructoid and the Jimquisition once said. No doubt he'll be eating an ice cream, in - possibly relieved - solidarity with the folks over at Krillbite.

Source: Kickstarter [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/krillbite/among-the-sleep]

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
I can't wait to see Pewdiepie ruin it and make any talk of this interesting game somehow relate back to him.

Jan 9, 2011
I'm really glad this made it across the line. Horror games, in my opinion, need to have character and personality in order to have any great appeal, and this one appears to have those things. I did, however, expect it to be a little more successful, what with the exposure it is(/appears to be) getting.

Oh well, it still reached its goal, which is more than can be said about some other promising and original projects [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/995134339/the-realm-game].

DVS BSTrD said:
And I bet Jim's relieved that his circum decision to support this game actually worked.
Haha, how long were you sitting on that one for?

Quiotu

Mar 7, 2008
hazabaza1 said:
I can't wait to see Pewdiepie ruin it and make any talk of this interesting game somehow relate back to him.
The game's actually perfect for Pewdiepie, as he never stopped being a giant man-baby. It's like the game was designed just for him.

Johkmil

Apr 14, 2009
It does seem like they have confirmed (basic) Occulus Rift support already, but that the stretch goal will allow them to implement it to a better degree.

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
hazabaza1 said:
Woulda believe he has already played the Alpha? I haven't watched the video myself so I can't tell if he has done what you've suggested but he probably promoted the game as he usually does whenever he plays games that aren't that well known e.g. Ib.

OT: So apart from what I've heard/read over and over already, I still don't know what this game is about. I get you play a two year old, I get that the horror is being based off said two year old's perspective and I get there's going be some hide and seek with monsters (who probably aren't there [sub][sub][sub]and is definitely not a new thing[/sub][/sub][/sub]) and then what? Apart from "Oooo scary" I'm not hearing much about a story or goal to reach for in the game which is kinda disappointing. Also if it turns out to be some kind of Kid version of Slender where you have to "collect all the toys(or whatever) to make the mownstars and bad things go away" then I'm calling it right here. [sub][sub][sub]Hope it bloody well doesn't or my desk will hate me for life.[/sub][/sub][/sub]

Jamieson 90

Mar 29, 2010
Glad I heard about this because I went and downloaded the free Alpha test to give it a go and my god is it scary! The atmosphere is very powerful and the perception dead on as I felt like a small, helpless, vulnerable 2 year old since everything was so tall, with simple tasks like opening doors seeming to be puzzles for your small toddler body that obviously can't reach that high.

And when
I was in 'Mummy's', bedroom I was so totally cowering under the bed when the rattling began.