Report: Microsoft Ditches Points For Next Xbox

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Report: Microsoft Ditches Points For Next Xbox

Having realized what a huge pain in the wallet proprietary currency schemes can be, Microsoft appears to be dropping its points system in favor of actual cash transactions.

Let's say you want to buy something from the Xbox Live Marketplace. You visit the listing for your prospective purchase, notice the price and pry your wallet from wherever you store your valuables. In any other situation this is the point where you'd fork over some cash or maybe a debit card, but the Xbox Live Marketplace isn't quite that simple. Instead, you punch in your card numbers, then must select an amount of points to purchase. These points can then be used to purchase whatever item you had your eye on, but the point here is that the system is needlessly complex.

According to a new Verge report, Microsoft may feel the same way, and has decided to ditch the point system in favor of actual, real-world monetary transactions in the future. Instead of everything I wrote above, you'd visit the store, punch in your card numbers, and *poof* you suddenly own whatever you had your heart set on. Ain't capitalism grand?

Ah, but what of those who don't have cards? How are they to purchase new DLC packs? As part of its shift away from proprietary currency, Microsoft reportedly plans to replace its current Xbox Live point cards system with gift cards similar to those used by iTunes devotees in purchasing items from Apple. It seems safe to assume that these new gift cards will function similarly to their predecessors, but will be labeled with real-world cash amounts instead of Microsoft points (that is, "$20" as opposed to "1600 points").

With all that in mind, it's easy to write this off as a simple change, though it should make dealing with Microsoft products less confusing in the future. Not only is the company supposedly dropping points for Xbox Live, it's also switching to real money for the rest of its services. Thus, the Windows Mobile and Windows PC platforms will follow this same monetary scheme and can utilize the exact same Microsoft gift cards as the firm's next console.

Now let's just hope that this switch doesn't somehow jack up the prices on digital items whose base cost is more or less arbitrary anyway.

Source: The Verge [http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/15/4332830/microsoft-points-moving-to-gift-card-system]

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Just out of curiosity, have any companies made any noises as to what will happen to purchased DLC/DDed games when the online service of the previous generation is phased out?

That's going to be important.

el_kabong

Shark Rodeo Champion
Mar 18, 2010
I'm happy to see this go. Not because I currently use Xbox, but because I want some good competition out of the next gen. Their stupid monetization/point system was one of the small gripes I've always had with MS. Good to see it's on its way out.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Pink Gregory said:
Just out of curiosity, have any companies made any noises as to what will happen to purchased DLC/DDed games when the online service of the previous generation is phased out?

I imagine the DLC will just disappear and be lost forever. It's already happened to several other games that weren't triple-A system sellers, so I see no reason why it would be different later one when people just stop buying Mass Effect or Skyrim or Borderlands and the DLC gets discontinued permanently.

I'm still a bit sore that I missed out on The Sabateur's topless DLC. *tsk tsk*

Big_Boss_Mantis

May 28, 2012
Pink Gregory said:

That is my concern also. And my pessimism already have an answer to it: WE'RE SCREWED!
I have A LOT of Digital games purchased off PSN. My entire Vita library is digital.
In another 5-10 years Sony will realize that its not worth the cost keep all those serves up for little old me (and a couple of people clinging to games form the past).
Better stack up all that data in external drives some day...

And you know what is even more sad? Demon's Souls, my favorite game this generation (and in the top 10 of all time) is dangerously close to FOREVER stop being available the way it is meant to be played.
See, one of the final bosses, The Old Monk is actually a summoned player to fight PVP (given some specific powers to the battle). The battle is different EVERY SINGLE TIME. Climbing up the staircase to the Old Monk, not knowing what was waiting me, what items I should or should not equip, having to think about 2 or 3 strategies on the fly to adapt to whoever is waiting for me... That is really one of the strongest gaming memories of my life.

OT: Took you long enough, eh, Microsoft. Now, if only Nintendo would stop to measure data by BLOCKS...

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Good, PSN store has cash transactions and its much better. You don't get odd amounts of points left over after buying stuff. I hate points systems like MS points and Bioware points etc.

loofmodnar

Mar 15, 2008
Good move by MS.

Also Windows Mobile was replaced by Windows Phone a few years ago. They're totally different.

Apr 28, 2008
Will I still be able to buy pre-paid cards? I don't care if their points or money, I just don't want to give Microsoft my credit card info.

Pink Gregory said:

Probably the same as what happened with the last generation when MS stopped supporting Xbox Live for Xbox games. Best make sure you have all the DLC/DDed games you want downloaded, because when it's stopped you won't be able to re-download them ever again.

Hooray for the online future!

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
Pink Gregory said:

My personal plan is to eventually buy a ps3 slim with a 500 gig hard drive or swap the 80 gig hard drive out of my fat ps3 and put a new terabyte hard drive and then just back up all my dlc and patches (my current 80 gig can't hold it all). Its an unfortunate reality but the fear of having to re buy things later doesn't bother me. Most of this stuff will always be available on Steam or something and by the time the servers go down these games will be cheap and I'll probably have a pc that can run these games without breaking a sweat. If all else fails, I'll just hop on over to TPB

Panthera

May 10, 2013
Good decision, the points thing was always just an arbitrary hassle that made you have to stop and think a second to remember how much a given amount of points was worth, and you always ended up with weird numbers of points left over and no idea what to do with them.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I wouldn't be surprised if they made it so you still have to buy things in increments. So rather than being able to buy a £12.99 game you have to add £5/£10/£15/£20 to your account, so you will still have leftover amounts.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Legion said:
I wouldn't be surprised if they made it so you still have to buy things in increments. So rather than being able to buy a £12.99 game you have to add £5/£10/£15/£20 to your account, so you will still have leftover amounts.
My thoughts exactly. Though I will be glad to see the back of Microsoft's funny money, I'd be surprised if they ditched the whole "buying in increments" model. Maybe we'll instead be buying our balances to use in the XBL store in £5 increments, while the standard prices will be £3.50/£8.50/£13.50 and so on, so you'll always be left with loose change of some description. Or maybe they'll totally surprise us, and it'll just be like buying from any other normal online store.

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
MarsProbe said:
Legion said:
My thoughts exactly. Though I will be glad to see the back of Microsoft's funny money, I'd be surprised if they ditched the whole "buying in increments" model. Maybe we'll instead be buying our balances to use in the XBL store in £5 increments, while the standard prices will be £3.50/£8.50/£13.50 and so on, so you'll always be left with loose change of some description. Or maybe they'll totally surprise us, and it'll just be like buying from any other normal online store.
This was the bit that I've always despised most of all, so I'll keep my eye out for how this is going to shape up. If any news on the leftover cash issue emerges, I'll be sure to write it up tout de suite.

Edit: On that note, I opted to be proactive and straight up asked Microsoft about it. They offered a boilerplate "no comment," but I was told to expect more soon. So that's ... something?

Apr 5, 2008
It is about time indeed. Using virtual currencies is an underhanded tactic used to obfuscate the real world cost behind a different number.

Saying that, I will never deal with XBox Live again, following hackers stealing money from me and Microsoft allowing it to happen and choosing to let the hackers get away with the theft instead of keeping a paying customer.

F**k you XBox Live, you will never see a penny from me or anyone I know again, real or virtual.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
As much as I hate virtual currencies, they'll probably do the same as Sony and only let you transfer certain amounts so you've never really spent all the money. Still, I suppose it's a step in the right direction. -_-

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
MeChaNiZ3D said:
As much as I hate virtual currencies, they'll probably do the same as Sony and only let you transfer certain amounts so you've never really spent all the money. Still, I suppose it's a step in the right direction. -_-
You can transfer the exact amount if it's over five bucks. This is why I never buy something unless I'm planning on spending 5 or more dollars.

Sethzard

Megalomaniac
Dec 22, 2007
Country
United Kingdom
Thank goodness. I do think that the points system is just needlessly convoluted.

redknightalex

Elusive Paragon
Aug 31, 2012
PoolCleaningRobot said:
Pink Gregory said:

My personal plan is to eventually buy a ps3 slim with a 500 gig hard drive or swap the 80 gig hard drive out of my fat ps3 and put a new terabyte hard drive and then just back up all my dlc and patches (my current 80 gig can't hold it all). Its an unfortunate reality but the fear of having to re buy things later doesn't bother me. Most of this stuff will always be available on Steam or something and by the time the servers go down these games will be cheap and I'll probably have a pc that can run these games without breaking a sweat. If all else fails, I'll just hop on over to TPB
Actually, I believe that because of Steam we'll see the old servers for consoles stay on much longer than anticipated. I know that Sony has invested a lot in their online store, even bringing back old PSX titles, and to see them throw that away even five years into the next gen is a bit too much for my pessimistic side to believe. Steam is able to do it with thousands of games and DLC with no problems. If we are to move into a digital future, Sony and Microsoft need to look at Steam a lot more seriously.

Still sounds like a great idea. Have a 750GB HD myself for all my downloads.

OT: Finally! I never understood the rational behind Microsoft's point system, and hated Bioware points, so moving to a actual currency oriented system makes actual sense. Do I see light at the beginning of the tunnel for the next iteration of consoles?!