Far Cry 3 Sells 6 Million, Proves A Massive Hit

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Far Cry 3 Sells 6 Million, Proves A Massive Hit

Craft a deep, interesting, novel gameplay experience and people will buy it en masse. Who knew?

Ubisoft revealed its latest financial numbers a short while ago, and there's naught there but positive news for fans of the Far Cry franchise. Of most importance is the revelation that Far Cry 3 has sold more than 6 million copies since its debut in December of last year. Cursory math breaks that down to roughly 1 million copies sold each month since it hit retail. Not too shabby, huh?

The hits just keep coming for the Far Cry team though, as the recently-released Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon - a game that could only be more 80s if it was a text-based adventure game starring a living Ian Curtis and a funny Eddie Murphy - is now described by executives as the "fastest selling downloadable title in Ubisoft history." Again, not a hint of shab there.

Unfortunately, with this kind of success there's always the fear that a publisher will immediately rush to greenlight as many possible sequels as spin-offs as possible so as to maximize profit. More Far Cry isn't inherently a bad thing, but these are large, complex games that need time to be properly fleshed out. If Ubisoft rushes the production of future Far Cry sequels (as they have with the now-annual Assassin's Creed series), we may see an unfortunate dip in the overall quality of the franchise. Fingers crossed Ubisoft doesn't blow this one.

Source:CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/406231/far-cry-3-sales-surpass-6-million/?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS]

BarelyAudible

Mar 1, 2013
Far Cry 3 sells six million.

Somewhere, a Square Enix exec is shouting "Why?! Why can't you do that?!" to a Tomb Raider box.

Amorphous Blob

May 15, 2013
Well done Ubisoft, in 5 years they've gone from being a company I would never buy from to the creator of my favorite 2 game series.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
Its nice to see some companies are budgeting their games so they don't need to sell 8 million in order to break even. I also wouldn't mind seeing a full blown Blood Dragon title (so long as they tweaked the graphics to make it easier to see). Hopefully Blood Dragon will show Ubisoft that there's a bigger market out there for random titles and short $15 games

The

Jan 24, 2012
One of my favorite games of 2012. I really hope they can replicate this success with Watch Dogs. Maybe we'll see more standalone DLCs like Blood Dragon. I'm hoping the next FC3 DLC will be standalone as well.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I like what Ubisoft is doing. They seem to have finally figured out that players want something new and they want to explore game worlds and unlock a lot of stuff instead of paying for DLC in order to get everything that's interesting. And their games reflect that. Far Cry 3 and Assassin's Creed 3 and beyond are following the same patterin in the way they are structured. They encourage players to take a detour from the story and just explore and see what's out there. They stole that idea from Skyrim when they saw how succesful it was. And I'm glad they did that. Now they're working on a new Splinter Cell and of course there is also Watch Dogs and both games look amazing. Ubisoft's DLC model isn't that bad either. It's usually just one extra mission and one or two extra weapons, outfits or upgrades. Nothing major and important like a freakin' Prothean character in Mass Effect 3 for example, or cheats in Saints Row 3 (how's that working out for you THQ?).

If only their treatment of PC gamers was better, they would be one incredible gaming company.

BarelyAudible said:
Far Cry 3 sells six million.

Somewhere, a Square Enix exec is shouting "Why?! Why can't you do that?!" to a Tomb Raider box.
If Tomb Raider was a truly open world game with more freedom and less scripted events, I'm sure it would have been a great financial success. Square Enix needs to take a lesson or two from Ubisoft and it's [obvious] mentor Bethesda.

Little Gray

Sep 18, 2012
I am actually surprised that it sold so well. Farcry 2 never really did all that well and this game is almost exactly the same but with a few minor tweaks and fixes. Although those tweaks such as enemies not having a thirty second respawn timer did make it a zillion times more fun.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Ubisoft is one of the companies I don't buy from anymore, but a free copy of farcry 3 came with my new video card and I got to say I'm glad it did. Guilt free Farcry 3 4tw.

the_retro_gamer

Apr 8, 2013
This just shows that proper budgeting and effort= $$$$.

Now lets hope that Ubisoft doesn't run the series into the ground like they are doing with assassin's creed.

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
This makes me happy, Farcry 3 is oh so good :). Gotta get around to Blood Dragon now. Please Ubisoft don't ruin Farcry like you are Assassin's Creed.

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
I got really pissed at Ubisoft for being total dicks to PC gamers a few years ago, but they're really shaped up nicely lately. I'm glad they have, because Assassin's Creed is one of my favorite series, even though I haven't bought any of them since Brotherhood due to aforementioned dickery. FC3 and Blood Dragon are both great games, and with Ass Creed 4 on the horizon, I'm really looking forward to throwing money at them again.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
the_retro_gamer said:
This just shows that proper budgeting and effort= $$$$.

Now lets hope that Ubisoft doesn't run the series into the ground like they are doing with assassin's creed.
Do we actually know anything about the budget of the title, however?

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
I havent played the game because after the fiasco that was Far Cry 2 i lost interest.
So who knows, maybe it trully is a great game, and people told me its nothing liek FC2, but FC2 sold well too, so no you dont need good gameplay to sell copies, you jsut need to create good engine for tree fires.....