Study Suggests Game Piracy May Be An Exaggerated Threat

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Study Suggests Game Piracy May Be An Exaggerated Threat

Videogame piracy is killing the industry, right? Well, if a new study is to be believed, maybe not.

Ever since the widespread adoption of the internet media companies have been decrying the global communications tool as the harbinger of death for any creative professionals. The argument claims that without strict regulation, everything from movies to music to videogames will be pirated ad infinitum, rendering any individual work worthless and eventually collapsing entire sections of industry.

Here in the States there's been an appalling lack of honest scientific study into piracy - major media companies have lots of sway within our government, and hate the idea that facts might ruin their ability to complain - but things are a bit different in Europe.

Relatively recently (late 2010) a group of researchers deployed advanced tracking tools to monitor the actual prevalence of pirated PC games on the BitTorrent file sharing protocol. PC Gamer breaks their findings down succinctly:

The most pirated title was Fallout: New Vegas, with 967,793 downloads. That's a lot, but the overall piracy rate still falls well below past reports. Perhaps owing to the window of the study, RPGs were easily the most pirated genre, followed by the somewhat vague "Action-Adventure" (a category that included Darksiders and The Force Unleashed 2). 37 percent of the pirated games were M-rated, and a strong correlation was identified between Metacritic score and how often a game was pirated.

As PC Gamer points out, these numbers fly in the face of prior reports which painted piracy as the apocalyptic doom of all media. Of course, since the study only persisted for a few months it's entirely possible that its findings may simply be a momentary aberration, but it's just as likely that they serve as ammunition against the angry cries of videogame publishers. Whichever possibility you subscribe to is up to personal preference, but it's nice to see someone conducting honest research into the issue. If nothing else, this should serve as a bullet point in favor of consumer freedom.

For more, you can view the entirety of the researchers' report by visiting this .pdf [http://www.mit.edu/~ke23793/papers/Drahchenetal_paperID16.pdf]. Fair warning: It's a bit dry.

Source: PC Gamer [http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/05/15/bittorrent-study-finds-game-piracy-not-as-rampant-as-some-have-claimed/]

sid

Jan 22, 2013
Just wondering here, does BitTorrent include data from Utorrent? Because if not, I'm about 75% sure you're not even getting half the data.

Parakeettheprawn

Apr 6, 2013
Please, tell me more about how when people like Ubisoft and EA are revealed by pure fact to have DRM and piracy claims that are utter crap. I love it. I love it, I love it, I LOVE IT!

Whoracle

Jan 7, 2008
sid said:
Just wondering here, does BitTorrent include data from Utorrent? Because if not, I'm about 75% sure you're not even getting half the data.
And which protocol does uTorrent use? Right, BitTorrent. Protocol != Client Software.

sid

Jan 22, 2013
Whoracle said:
sid said:
And which protocol does uTorrent use? Right, BitTorrent. Protocol != Client Software.
Oh, right. That solves it.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
Is there ANYONE that didn't expect this? Seriously, ANYONE at all? If there are, then... well, screw you!

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
Gearhead mk2 said:
Is there ANYONE that didn't expect this? Seriously, ANYONE at all?
I'd wager the same people who always show up to any discussion on piracy with rabid cries of how "piracy is theft" and that anything but hatred and call for jail time against people for it makes you a "piracy" apologist/advocate.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
FredTheUndead said:
Study shows water may be wet.
Cite your sources Mr. Scientist!

I'm suprised that nearly a million people downloaded New Vegas, that's a LOT. Although I can't help but think that a lot of those people downloaded it twice, because they thought all the bugs in the game were because of a bad file in the download or something.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
Even ignoring the part where piracy stats look fricking huge, even if those were indeed true, the whole "piracy is destroying entertainment" threat would STILL be ridiculously backwards, as we know for a fact that all entertainment industry has been booming over the past decade.

The internet has been a huge blessing for every artist, from smaller bands and writers and devs who can now go indie, to the businesses that can profit from the huge online viral spread of everything successful.

If piracy harms anyone, it's the biggest blockbuster/AAA/celebrity creators, whose works millions download for free out of peer pressure and mild curiosity, while a few decades ago they would have been forced to buy it or be left behind by pop-culture.

Louzerman102

Mar 12, 2011
sid said:
bittorrent was bought out by utorrent (2006 i believe) they are the same torrent program with different color symbols. I mean that literally.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
"The most pirated title was Fallout: New Vegas, with 967,793 downloads. That's a lot, but the overall piracy rate still falls well below past reports."

So as I see it, there are nearly 1 million pirated copies of New Vegas, as opposed to the 5 million paid copies. Even if publishers did exaggerate the extent of piracy, 1/6 copies of Fallout going unpaid for sounds like something worth bitching about. I don't see it as ammo against publishers at all, seeing as how it basically puts a (big) number on pirated copies. And that's only considering mainstream games; aren't indie companies getting the worst piracy ratios?

roushutsu

Mar 14, 2012
It's a start at least. I'd love to see this study be continued for at least a year. I mean we all know the "Piracy ruins everything!" is complete crap, but 3 months of research just isn't solid enough these days.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Well... DUH!

Piracy is blamed for bad games and poor sales all the time instead of publishers seeing anything as their fault.

Piracy CAN affect independent developers though, and it has. The original Theif dev closed because of it.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
CriticalMiss said:
FredTheUndead said:
Study shows water may be wet.
Cite your sources Mr. Scientist!

I'm suprised that nearly a million people downloaded New Vegas, that's a LOT. Although I can't help but think that a lot of those people downloaded it twice, because they thought all the bugs in the game were because of a bad file in the download or something.
A million people downloading something is a far cry from a million sales lost. If this figure is correct, then it means that devs on average spent more money on DRM measures than they lost due to piracy.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
Nurb said:
Well... DUH!

Piracy is blamed for bad games and poor sales all the time instead of publishers seeing anything as their fault.

Piracy CAN affect independent developers though, and it has. The original Theif dev closed because of it.
No, the original Thief dev closed due to not enough profits.

Any possible studio that doesn't make ends meet, could point at piracy, that is one particular constant in this indutry, and declare how "if that wouldn't be there we wouldn't have gone bankrupt", but that is always a Single Cause Fallacy.

Matthi205

Mar 8, 2012
Hmmm. That's interesting. I suspected higher numbers, from what data I could actually get.

Partly it's pretty stupid we can't filter by region, because I think that eastern Europe might be responsible for 1/6th of that piracy rate (comparing game prices to how much people actually make a month in these countries... overinflated is understating the issue). Then, we've got China, which they probably couldn't monitor. And China has an absolutely MASSIVE piracy rate from what I know.

Then, we've got Russia, where game stores are barely existent, and even then barely carry anything besides CoD and BF (or other games that need to be played online).

I hoped that this study ran for a few years already and they were just wheeling out the results... turns out, no, it just ran 3 months. What I'm surprised by, though, is the incredible fact that CoD isn't the most pirated game. Strange when you think about it, really. What with CoD being one of the best-selling titles in the world, you'd expect it to get pirated a lot.