Vin Diesel Chokes A Bird In Debut Riddick Trailer

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Vin Diesel Chokes A Bird In Debut Riddick Trailer

Our first solid glimpse at Riddick has finally arrived. No hyperbole: It's kinda rad.

I'll go to my grave swearing that Vin Diesel was born in the wrong decade. Had Mr. Diesel been in his twenties during the 1980s he very easily could have achieved Schwarzeneggerian levels of stardom as a Hollywood action hero, but in our modern era there's just so very few chances for a chiseled, gravel-voiced actor to win acclaim by murdering dozens of whichever vile fiends are stupid enough to cross his path.

Still, Diesel occasionally offers us a glimpse at what this alternate past may have looked like. To wit: The trailer embedded above, which serves as the debut look at the upcoming Riddick, the third entry in a sci-fi franchise that includes Pitch Black, The Chronicles of Riddick, a couple of animated features, and two of the finest videogame adaptations to ever emerge from the generally unholy collaboration between Hollywood and the gaming biz.

Go ahead, hit play. We don't want you to miss any of it, so we'll wait for you.

Done? What'd you think? Rad, huh?

Obviously a trailer isn't much to go on, but we're happy to see that Riddick relies heavily on the general-purpose badass appeal of its titular, antihero protagonist. Both of the previous movies in the franchise were successes almost entirely due to Diesel's menacing presence and that theme appears to return in spades for Riddick.

Further, we appreciate the world-building seemingly in place here. Everything in the trailer looks distinctly alien, yet with enough of a human touch to remain grounded and accessible to audiences hoping for a few hours of simple, cathartic violence.

Expect Riddick to hit theaters on September 16, 2013. That's only a few months off, so you've got permission to amp up your anticipation starting now.

Source: YouTube (and, obviously, Machinima) [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDxDEjDMreA]

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
So basically it's Pitch Black remade with the crew replaced by Not Colonial Marines?

That sounds badass!

Pitch Black and Chronicles are two of my great guilty pleasures, this doesn't even need to be that good to make me happy, although it would be even better if it is.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Looks like they're going back to the Pitch Black formula of Riddick being a badass criminal with a bunch of space jockies on a hostile-alien infested planet. This should serve well to win back the people that didn't like Chronicles because of the whole Necromonger (think that's what they were called) deal.

Personally I enjoyed both the movies and I won't deny that I'm not looking forward to this one.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
The best Riddick movie yet is the game though...

Pitch Black was a very cool movie but it doesnt go anywhere big, it was a cool small story and the sequel was just a mess. The game really set an awesome tone and told a more interesting story.

This one at least is closer to the first movie so I'm looking forward to it

Mar 26, 2008
I'll see your "Rad" and raise you a "Gnarly". It looks remeniscent of Pitch Black, crossed with the non-necromonger part of Chronicles Of Riddick, which is a good thing. Plus I know I won't need to persuade my wife to come and see it with me.

Please tell me that Batista's not in it. There's a merc in the trailer that looks a lot like him.

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
Well, i approve of this.

Aint gonna lie, been wanting a third riddick movie ever since i saw the second one.

Started watching this trailer happy, ended it with a grin of how awesome this is gonna be.

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
If this were any other franchise then I would be tearing it a new orifice for reusing the exact same plotline as a previous installment.

But this is Riddick. Watching Vin Diesel whittle down the enemy numbers, get captured, then get released due to a much larger threat is what the whole series is about.

Nimzabaat

Feb 1, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
Oh a prequel, that's nice.
Just hope it turns out better then Prometheus.
Sorry, I have to ask. What makes you think it's a prequel? It has Karl Urban's character Vaako from Chronicles of Riddick in it.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
The effects are a little bad in places at the moment, but I love Riddick and I love Vin Diesel, so I'm looking forward to this

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
RJ 17 said:
Looks like they're going back to the Pitch Black formula of Riddick being a badass criminal with a bunch of space jockies on a hostile-alien infested planet. This should serve well to win back the people that didn't like Chronicles because of the whole Necromonger (think that's what they were called) deal.

Personally I enjoyed both the movies and I won't deny that I'm not looking forward to this one.
Pretty much this. I didn't mind Chronicles that much, felt a bit overstuffed and nothing like Pitch Black, but it's watchable. I'd still rather a new film was more like Pitch Black though, that film was a lot of fun.

Thistlehart

Nov 10, 2010
Why do I get the feeling that, when Vin Diesel plays D&D (or any RPG for that matter), he favors the rogue classes?

Looks like fun. Will definitely be looking forward to it.

Parakeettheprawn

Apr 6, 2013
I've always been curious about Riddick. I want to play the games/see the movies (beyond a few bits and pieces), and the whole almost steam punk-yet-Aliens aesthetic was always a plus in my eyes. It seems ripe with potential... and Vin Diesel seems to really own the character, even if it is still Vin Diesel as a space rogue/assassin.

What's so awful about the second movie, just to be clear?