Lulzsec Members Are Going To Jail

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Lulzsec Members Are Going To Jail

Four members of Lulzsec in the U.K. have been sentenced for their role in attacks on Nintendo, Sony, Bethesda, the CIA and other companies and agencies.

Back in July 2011, members of the Lulzsec collective dared - I mean, pleaded guilty [https://twitter.com/LulzSec/status/93093868379193344] in June 2012, while two others initially decided to stand behind their tweet and fight the power but later changed their minds.

Now, almost a year after the first pleas were entered, sentences have been handed down and just about everybody is going to jail. Ryan Cleary, who provided the software that was used in the attacks but was apparently not a "core member" of Lulzsec, was sentenced to 32 months and faces additional jail time for hacking U.S. Air Force computers and possessing "indecent images of babies and children." Jake Davis, credited as the Lulzsec "press secretary," was given two years; Ryan Ackroyd, the "ringleader," will be jailed for 30 months; and Mustafa al-Bassam, who posted stolen information online, escaped with a 20-month suspended sentence.

"This is not about young immature men messing about," Prosecutor Sandip Patel said. "They are at the cutting edge of a contemporary and emerging species of criminal offender known as a cybercriminal."

Lulzsec went on a short but spectacular rampage in 2011 before announcing in June of that year that it was turned on his fellows [http://edition.cnn.com/2011/TECH/web/06/26/tech.lulzsec.hackers/index.html?hpt=hp_t2] and began working for the bureau. That led to several arrests in early 2012, including Ackroyd and Davis. Monsegur has not yet been sentenced for his role in the crimes.

Source: BBC [http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22552753]

Berithil

Maintenence Man of the Universe
Mar 19, 2009
luvd1 said:
Might want to add a little bit more to that...

Well, lesson learned. You mess with the bull, you get the horns. It will probably take them awhile to get their pride back.

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
Know what the best plan ever is? Form what's basically a street gang, but on the internet semi-anonymously. This way, no one will have the typical loyalty one does in a gang, but, trust us, no one's likely to turn everyone else over to the police at the first sign of trouble.

Right? Right.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
HA HA!!!

good to see these little hacker shit are going away for a few years from the look of it, maybe some time with their new boy firends will teach them to not do this kinda crap again

GeneralFungi

Jul 1, 2010
I don't feel sorry for them in the least. Not exactly a unique sentiment, but if you break the law you go to jail. They were, quite literally, asking for this to happen at one point or another.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Didn't they also hack Escapist during their cyber crime spree?

Edit: Anyways, I'm glad the prosecutor took 2 years of their lives to finally say "Yep. You're going to jail." Have fun.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
Yeah...I'm pretty sure the "no snitching" rule doesn't apply to the gangs you start online. Those other people know a screen name, and they'll fold if it means not going to jail for a few years. Hell, the "leader" actually lucked out be getting caught first.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Think they were cocky because they were not arrested quick. Mainly thats due to police/FBI taking time to collect evidence and see they are talking to and if they could lead to others in the group. Wonder if in prison all the other prisoners started doing stuff to them and told them "i did it for the lulz". :)

SonofaJohannes

Apr 18, 2011
Well, they did dare the authorities. I mean, what were they gonna do, decline the dare? That's not how dares work man, that's not how they work. You gotta accept the dare, or else you're a chicken. And nobody calls the authorities chicken.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Good. Its good to see these guys go to jail. Guys like these hack for fun and claim to be doing it "for the lulz" or for some bs reason of "internet justice" they make up. It's guys like this that make the hackers who solves real problems look bad.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
SonOfVoorhees said:
Think they were cocky because they were not arrested quick. Mainly thats due to police/FBI taking time to collect evidence and see they are talking to and if they could lead to others in the group. Wonder if in prison all the other prisoners started doing stuff to them and told them "i did it for the lulz". :)
Unfortunately not, they will do their time in a prison that looks like this.

and not like this

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
albino boo said:
SonOfVoorhees said:
Unfortunately not, they will do their time in prison that looks like this.

and not like this
Good guys win, bad guys lose, and as always: ENGLAND PREVAILS. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVpqDH7jZTo&feature=player_detailpage#t=75s]

I just simply love talks about justice being handed down to someone. It's like going to the zoo and they've thrown bananas to the chimpanzees.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
So a pedophile and some glorified script kiddies are going to prison.

They're finally funny. Lulz.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
They really should have just left it at HBGary.

When they went after a bunch of overconfident salesmen peddling nothing but dirty tricks and misdirection, the world kind of looked and went that's why you don't mess with the internet.

Then they went after CIA, all I can think of is the 'whoopsieee' sound from Mortal Combat.
Azuaron said:
Know what the best plan ever is? Form what's basically a street gang, but on the internet semi-anonymously. This way, no one will have the typical loyalty one does in a gang, but, trust us, no one's likely to turn everyone else over to the police at the first sign of trouble.

Right? Right.
More to the point, no one will be able to trace you, no way no how!