Iron Man 3 Rakes In Over $1 Billion

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Iron Man 3 Rakes In Over $1 Billion

It's official: Iron Man 3 is a hit, to the tune of over $1 billion.

After a mere 23 days in theaters, Iron Man 3 has raked in over $1 billion at the box office. This puts it in pretty phenomenal company. Marvel Studios' only other $1 billion-grossing film to date was the massively successful Avengers, and Marvel's parent company Disney can only boast four non-Marvel films in its entire history that have broke the $1 billion mark.

The most impressive aspect of all of this is that Iron Man 3 made its worldwide debut two weeks before it was available in the United States. International box office returns are undeniably important, but if a film is to be a major success it also has to prove a hit domestically. Despite having only had two weeks to do so, it's safe to say that Iron Man 3 has done well at home, having pulled in over $300 million domestically so far.

What does all of this mean for you? Unless your paychecks are signed by Disney, probably not much. We can expect the current glut of big-budget superhero movies to continue for the foreseeable future, and Robert Downey Jr. is now worth far more than his weight in gold for any studio, but otherwise the success of Iron Man 3 won't have much affect on the common man.

However, it does raise an interesting question. With The Avengers and Iron Man 3 - Marvel Studios' last two major films - both breaking $1 billion at the box office, what is the ceiling for how well these comic book movies can perform? When Avengers proved a huge hit we expected that to be an anomalous performance, but Iron Man 3 indicates that maybe all of Marvel's films from here on out will be capable of pulling in box office returns larger than many nations' annual GDP. Now the question is: Which hero will be the first to top $5 billion?

Source: IGN [http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/17/iron-man-3-soars-past-1-billion?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ign%2Farticles+%28IGN+All+Articles%29]

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
As much as I love Marvel and these films I've got to admit that The Avengers has likely already hit that ceiling. Until ticket prices rise again I don't expect Disney to shoot for anything far beyond $1 billion.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Nice. I still haven't seen it due to...strange circumstances.
But this success worries me a bit. Mostly because Robert Downy Jr's ego (and corresponding paycheck) is going to be the end of these films, probably starting with Avengers 2. I've heard that the other lead actors/actresses were already showing contempt for the ENORMOUS disparity in pay compared to Robert Downy Jr.
Given the wild success of Iron Man 3, well, methinks Downy Jr's asking price might climb even higher.

Oh well. It was a great run while it lasted, and overpaid or not, Downy Jr OWNED the Tony Stark persona.

AngelOfBlueRoses

The Cerulean Prince
Nov 5, 2008
It's nice to see Iron Man 3 doing pretty good (great, in fact), but I think you're setting the ceiling far, FAR too high. Even when adjusted for inflation, only one film has yet to pass the $3 billion mark, and not adjusted at all there are only two films that have gone past the $2 billion mark. Even the Avengers has only gotten $1.5 billion.

Let's not set the bar too high yet. Let's set the bar lower to $2 billion.

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009
cursedseishi said:
Atmos Duality said:
But this success worries me a bit. Mostly because Robert Downy Jr's ego (and corresponding paycheck) is going to be the end of these films, probably starting with Avengers 2. I've heard that the other lead actors/actresses were already showing contempt for the ENORMOUS disparity in pay compared to Robert Downy Jr.
Given the wild success of Iron Man 3, well, methinks Downy Jr's asking price might climb even higher.

Oh well. It was a great run while it lasted, and overpaid or not, Downy Jr OWNED the Tony Stark persona.
To be fair though, Iron Man was practically the poster child for Marvel Studios and their movies, with Robert Downy Jr. coming in really strong as Tony Stark. When the other heroes have only had cameos in other movies before hand (and This being the 3rd actor to play the Hulk in as little as what, ten years?), or at most a single movie to their name, the one name any studio is really going to want is the most consistent one.

That's Iron Man, and that's Mr. Downy Jr.

I do hope nothing really breaks this up though, as it would be a total shame. They've finally seemed to nail an actor for the Hulk, and a great one at that for Banner. As a major fan of Norse mythology, it be bloody hard as hell for me not to see more Thor and his actor is pretty darn good with the role too. They have a consistent and strong lineup of actors that are really, really, good in the roles they play. To see all that break down would be... well, it would be sad, to say the least.
Well according to some sources, whilst Downey may not be letting his pay go down, he is apparently [http://metro.co.uk/2013/05/09/robert-downey-jr-fighting-for-better-pay-for-avengers-cast-3747166/] fighting for his co-stars to get a pay raise.

Some food for thought.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
I must congratulate Marvel Studios and Disney for making history yet again. The fact that Iron Man 3 proved itself in both the domestic and international market is something to behold. That said, I'm hoping that future Marvel/Disney movies will do just as well but I'm doubtful everyone will break the $1 billion mark. As long as they're putting quality product out there, I'm sure it will do well. But to expect it to be that massive of a money maker is setting one's expectations too high.

Also, Marvel/Disney need to sign back Robert Downey Jr. ASAP. I'm sure that after IM3 and the Avengers take on the box office, they can afford to bring him back. Having to replace him will complicate matters and I honestly cannot picture any actor that can fill those shoes let alone one that is willing to take that task on.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
JokerboyJordan said:
cursedseishi said:
Atmos Duality said:

To be fair though, Iron Man was practically the poster child for Marvel Studios and their movies, with Robert Downy Jr. coming in really strong as Tony Stark. When the other heroes have only had cameos in other movies before hand (and This being the 3rd actor to play the Hulk in as little as what, ten years?), or at most a single movie to their name, the one name any studio is really going to want is the most consistent one.

That's Iron Man, and that's Mr. Downy Jr.

I do hope nothing really breaks this up though, as it would be a total shame. They've finally seemed to nail an actor for the Hulk, and a great one at that for Banner. As a major fan of Norse mythology, it be bloody hard as hell for me not to see more Thor and his actor is pretty darn good with the role too. They have a consistent and strong lineup of actors that are really, really, good in the roles they play. To see all that break down would be... well, it would be sad, to say the least.
Well according to some sources, whilst Downey may not be letting his pay go down, he is apparently [http://metro.co.uk/2013/05/09/robert-downey-jr-fighting-for-better-pay-for-avengers-cast-3747166/] fighting for his co-stars to get a pay raise.

Some food for thought.
Wow! If that is the case, more power to him. Plus with Avengers and IM3 making that much bank, its safe to say the studios can offer up a better paycheck to the actors and folks behind it. Time to pony up, Marvel/Disney. I know you're trying to recover from mistakes like John Carter but don't screw the pooch on the goose that is laying golden eggs for you.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
JokerboyJordan said:

Some food for thought.
Well, it's a good gesture, but one that needs credence beyond "an insider". If it's true, well...good, because there isn't a single actor/actress playing an Avenger that I don't like in their role. Which is just uncanny given how picky I am about performances.
I love the dynamic each of the Avengers characters has; they are distinct and well done.

At least for the quality of work they're producing, they deserve more equal pay.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
We all know Robert Downey Jr. is a method actor.

Thus to play the role of a billionaire playboy philanthropist, he must BECOME a billionaire playboy philanthropist.
With the way his movies are breaking the box office, I'd say he's doing a very good job at it.

Pinky's Brain

Mar 2, 2011
Trishbot said:
We all know Robert Downey Jr. is a method actor.

Thus to play the role of a billionaire playboy philanthropist, he must BECOME a billionaire playboy philanthropist.
With the way his movies are breaking the box office, I'd say he's doing a very good job at it.
Using some of your leverage to make rich friends a little richer isn't really what I would call philanthropy.

Downey got lucky he got in on the ground floor and is in a position to negotiate a new contract while he has all the leverage (all the others are still on existing multi-movie deals, deals many other good actors would love to have signed despite the "lousy" pay BTW).

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
I am afraid this will lead to Capcom syndrome.

"We expect the next Resident Evil to sell just as much copies as COD, we took great care into making sure it has all elements of everything that is popular in it"

So rather than try to make a good Thor movie (the first was Okay, but you could do way better) they end up making the same type of movie over and over regardless of character all aiming for the 1 billion $ rather than making good movies that make a solid profit.

If they can both focus on continuing to make good movies, taking their time with them and getting people that understand the source material they are working with (keep it away from Michael Bay by god!) then I don't see why the string of success should not continue, barring bad horrible luck of course, sometimes a movie just comes out wrong no matter what.

Sack of Cheese

Sep 12, 2011
That's good news!! Marvel is hitting the spot with their movies!! Great news! Now I don't have anything to worry about when they decide to make their own Daredevil film... a trilogy, hopefully.

Daft Time

Apr 15, 2013
Sack of Cheese said:
That's good news!! Marvel is hitting the spot with their movies!! Great news! Now I don't have anything to worry about when they decide to make their own Daredevil film... a trilogy, hopefully.
I wouldn't be so sure. With their Superhero movies making ridiculous sums of money, they'll only invest more money into the movies. As the invest more money, they'll want to see more of what made them so much money in the first place and take creative control away from the writers and directors. Most likely, they'll try retreading the same material too often and invest too much money until the current superhero movie boom busts.

...sorry to be that guy who rains on your parade, but I can't help but see the signs of the bubble bursting soon. =/

Sack of Cheese

Sep 12, 2011
Daft Time said:
I wouldn't be so sure. With their Superhero movies making ridiculous sums of money, they'll only invest more money into the movies. As the invest more money, they'll want to see more of what made them so much money in the first place and take creative control away from the writers and directors. Most likely, they'll try retreading the same material too often and invest too much money until the current superhero movie boom busts.

...sorry to be that guy who rains on your parade, but I can't help but see the signs of the bubble bursting soon. =/
Hm... I'm still positive about this! ^^
Now that their core heroes receive the attention they wanted, they're giving other heroes a chance too! Like with the upcoming Guardian of the galaxy, Ant man... and they just announced the script for Ms./Captain Marvel has just finished writing, they're casting now.
I mean, female superhero!! A possibility for a good, solo, superheroine on screen to wash off the taste of Catwoman and Elektra movies.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Send that to Thor and Blackwidow as to why Downy gets the big increase in wages in his new contract. Dont even know why Blackwidow actress is even moaning, she isnt even staring in her own movie yet. lol

I actual like marvels way of making movies. There films are not over the top big budget, but at least the budget is on the screen. You get films with huge budgets and you have no idea where the money went. The new WWZ movie supposedly cost $200 million and i have no idea why.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Well it was my favourite Christmas movie since Die Hard, so well done them.

I'm just hoping the giant bunny with the suggestively placed arms clears up at the next Oscars.

Best supporting actress. Aw Yeah.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Does this mean I can start getting my hopes up for the Deadpool movie, now. Is it even still a thing?