Assassin's Creed Movie Gets Release Date

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Assassin's Creed Movie Gets Release Date

Ubisoft Motion Picture's Assassin's Creed film will be hitting theaters May 22nd, 2015.

Despite Hollywood's ability to create sprawling epics that take audiences to different ages, worlds and realities, a good videogame movie seems like a puzzle the film industry is never going to crack. There have been some films to come close. <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/movie-defense-force/6918-Mortal-Kombat>Mortal Kombat is fun, if not necessarily good, and some would point to Angelina Jolie's <a href=http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/lara-croft-tomb-raider-2001>Tomb Raider as being an entertaining romp. That said, there has never really been a movie based on a videogame that franchise fans, audiences, and critics alike have looked at and loved.

We'll give Hollywood some credit though, they're persistent. The long in the works adaptation of Assassin's Creed has recently been gifted with a release date. The film, whose cast includes X-Men: First Class and Prometheus star <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118339-Magneto-to-Star-in-Assassins-Creed-Movie>Michael Fassbender, is now set for release on May 22nd, 2015. The film, which is being made by Ubisoft Motion Pictures, will be co-produced and distributed by New Regency and 20th Century Fox. Sony Pictures had previously been in talks with Ubisoft to acquire film rights to the franchise, but the deal fell apart due to <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114048-Hollywood-Assassins-Creed-Movie-Is-Doomed>strict requirements placed on the deal by Ubisoft.

Given the complex lore behind the Assassin's Creed franchise, there is a lot of material already available to help make film with several sequels. That said, there are virtually no details released at the moment and the film's creators haven't even let slip which character Michael Fassbender will be playing. The film's new release date could also raise some concerns. While it seems natural for the film to take part in the summer blockbuster season, its success could wind up being stunted if other <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120408-Disney-Acquires-Lucasfilm>prominent projects slated for that year steal its thunder.

Source: <a href=http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=assassinscreed.htm>Box Office Mojo

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Michael Fassbender running around a historical setting stabbing people in the neck sounds great to me, but on the other hand, there's a high chance of shit, being a videogame movie and all. I'm hoping they just don't mention Desmond and the Animus crap too much, and focus more on the historical side of things.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
TheRightToArmBears said:
Michael Fassbender running around a historical setting stabbing people in the neck sounds great to me, but on the other hand, there's a high chance of shit, being a videogame movie and all. I'm hoping they just don't mention Desmond and the Animus crap too much, and focus more on the historical side of things.
Indeed, I feel as though the whole thing will be more novel if they appeal to that aspect. Desmond's stuff was interesting in the first game when it was still mysterious, but now that we know that it doesn't really go anywhere, keeping it on the down low for a more general audience is probably for the best.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
An AC movie is pretty doable in terms of content vs time. As Yahtzee so eloquently put it, you spend a lot of time "faffing about" in the games. If the movie closely followed the main storyline, it'd probably be around 2 hours long. Of course what remains to be scene is if the screenplay will take the original story in a vastly different (and inferior) direction.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I liked the Prince of Persia movie.
And these two games are pretty similar, sort of... I know one is open world and one not etc but the combat style, climbing high stuff, acrobatics etc.
Somehow I also think I've got the actor for this one ;)
This can be good... would love a good AssCreed Movie.

The

Jan 24, 2012
How cool would it be if the movie followed a whole new assassin, that way they have more room for exploration in that universe and less chance to fuck up the characters of, say, Ezio or Altair.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Yeah I didn't mind the Prince of Persia movie either.

I'd have zero interest in a movie based on AC1. AC2, or a whole new assassin might get my bum in the seat though.

Parakeettheprawn

Apr 6, 2013
TheRightToArmBears said:
...now I must try to find something else to say because you sir, have summarized my points I would make in but one paragraph.

Hmm... *begins to ponder something new to say*

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
As long as they take the core of the game, its main elements and write the film based on that. A movie based on a game are not difficult to do, just that the people making them put to much pointless crap in them. Lots of nod and winks to fans and other rubbish. An all that fan service just gets in the way of a good story.

Kurt Cristal

Mar 31, 2010
The first 20 or so minutes of the Prince of Persia film could pass as AC, what with the running around parkour action, the stabbing, and the jumping off of a ledge after the camera is done swooping around Jake Gyllenhaal.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
Thinking about it, the Assassins Creed universe must be a godsend for any movie director given the project. You can pick any time period you want and say "yep, that one" and most likely be suported by the lore. Just as long as they don't choose the middle east 2000 years ago...

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
The said:
How cool would it be if the movie followed a whole new assassin, that way they have more room for exploration in that universe and less chance to fuck up the characters of, say, Ezio or Altair.
My vote is for this^^^. It would make such a better movie if they were trying to make a film in the ass. Creed universe rather than adapting the games

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Does this mean Ubisoft are no longer a videogame company, but an 'entertainment' company?

Christ, if that isn't indicative of where the games industry is going, I don't know what is...
And yet if this were Nintendo you'd be at the frontlines defending it.

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
Huh, so let's look at the movies set for release in 2015:

-Ratchet and Clank
-Assassin's Creed
-Justice League
-Avengers 2
-Star Wars ep 7

...and the first two are video game movies to popular franchises.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
We all know there's only one actor who could possibly play Desmond, if it came to that...

But seriously, I think Assassin's Creed would be the sort of video game franchise whose movie adaptation would benefit from having a completely original storyline away from established characters. Keep the core concepts: the Animus, the Abstergo/Assassin war, bland protagonists with cool ancestors... but do everything else with other characters.

God only knows I've had enough of Ezio as it is.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
Proverbial Jon said:
We all know there's only one actor who could possibly play Desmond, if it came to that...

But seriously, I think Assassin's Creed would be the sort of video game franchise whose movie adaptation would benefit from having a completely original storyline away from established characters. Keep the core concepts: the Animus, the Abstergo/Assassin war, bland protagonists with cool ancestors... but do everything else with other characters.

God only knows I've had enough of Ezio as it is.
Or, you know...

He probably has the acting chops to play Desmond and no, that's not a compliment. >.>

Btw, how do we know this is going to be about Ezio?