Star Wars VII May Cast Tudors Actor

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Star Wars VII May Cast Tudors Actor

Jonathan Rhys Meyers, who played King Henry VIII in The Tudors, may be in talks to join the cast of Star Wars: Episode VII.

While George Lucas already spilled the beans and revealed that the cast of the original Star Wars trilogy would be returning for Episode VII, there have been few details about who else will be in the film. Now, if rumors can be believed, the film may have gotten its first new cast member. Actor Jonathan Rhys-Meyers is reportedly up for an, as of yet, unknown role in the forthcoming Star Wars film.

Meyers, who played King Henry VIII in the The Tudors and is set to take on the titular role of Dracula in the upcoming NBC series of the same name, has, according to the Harrison Ford returning for the new movie.

Meyers doesn't have a huge amount of experience in blockbuster or genre films like Star Wars, but he has worked with Episode VII director J.J. Abrams in the past during the filming of Mission Impossible III. As well, whatever Meyers might lack in blockbuster credentials, he can arguably make up for it with simple range. While The Tudors played host to some <a href=http://www.virginmedia.com/tvradio/features/the-tudors-taking-liberties.php?page=1>deep historical accuracies, it nonetheless boasted some diverse and excellent acting from multiple cast members, including Meyers. Meyers portrayal of King Henry VIII saw him travel through stages of the character's life colored by shades of cruelty, tenderness, lust, madness, and regret. In short, Star Wars: Episode VII could do worse.

If Meyers does join the film the next big question, of course, will be who he's playing. Personally, I think he has a bit of a young Grand Moff Tarkin look to him and that he'd make a fantastic stodgy Imperial officer. As with all things regarding the new Star Wars films, we'll have to wait and see.

Source: Latino Review

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Based on my vast knowledge of the Star Wars universe...I have no idea who he could possibly be playing :)

I'm sorry, I'm still holding out hope that they somehow manage to keep the Expanded Universe intact while doing these movies, and I was just running through the list of characters in my head who are still alive that he could play. No one comes to mind. He almost sounds over qualified to be in a Star Wars movie. I do agree that he could make an excellent Imperial Moff though, based on the description of his past performance.

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
Well fun but based on the lack of information I can only assume one thing.

Otherwise I feel unsafe when this new star wars comes up. Like it is watching, waiting, and being a general meanie head.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
So, he may or may not be in talks to be in Star Wars.

Yeah, I'm going to say it. I "may" be in Star Wars myself, much the same as most of the human race.

Talvrae

The Purple Fairy
Dec 8, 2009
Sniper Team 4 said:
Based on my vast knowledge of the Star Wars universe...I have no idea who he could possibly be playing :)
You can trow all that off the window anyway... From what i understood they won't care about anything settled in the EU, so don't expect to see Trawn of Talon Karrde or any other of your favorite EU characters.... and that is why i don,t really care about thouse movies

sleeky01

Jan 27, 2011
wombat_of_war said:
i dont have a clue what character they have in mind for him but hes a damn good actor and can pull off a diverse range of roles
If they can keep him away from the bottle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Rhys_Meyers#Personal_life

CarlsonAndPeeters

Mar 18, 2009
excalipoor said:
Oh hell no! First Hayden Christensen, and now this?! Star Wars is dead.
What's wrong with Jonathan Rhys Meyers? Have you seen Match Point? He's a really solid actor. I mean, this is all speculation at this point, so who knows how anything will turn out, but I wouldn't say its bad news.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
I don't see how this is much of news.

Every actor in hollywood is going to be trying to attach themselves to the new Star Wars films, if nothing else having a blockbuster on your resume looks really good.

Scentedwiind

Nov 13, 2009
To NpPro93 as one who loved matchpoint and does admire Meyers myself, I can't see him playing a role that requires anything more than brooding and sulking. He's got it down to a letter but I'm not quite sure if he has too many shades of acting. I could be wrong entirely but I've not seen him in many roles I've liked outside of his character type in matchpoint. He would make a good villain if it came to the matter as his ability to be sympathetic while committing attrocities is the kind of dynamic I'd like to see in a Star Wars film.

walrusaurus

Mar 1, 2011
excalipoor said:
Except Rhys Meyers is a legitimately good actor, and Hayden Christenson... well, not so much.

To say nothing of the fact that given his age (he's 35) he's pretty clearly not going to be the main character. Disney will need a 20-something that they can lock into playing the character across 3+ films over the span of the next decade.

So that leaves him as supporting cast, which as a character actor i'm sure he'll fill excellently (see: Anthony Hopkins in Thor)

excalipoor

Jan 16, 2011
NpPro93 said:
excalipoor said:
What's wrong with Jonathan Rhys Meyers? Have you seen Match Point? He's a really solid actor. I mean, this is all speculation at this point, so who knows how anything will turn out, but I wouldn't say its bad news.
It's mostly just irrational hatred of someone better looking than myself.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
If you go that far why not throw the Game of Thrones cast in there to?

A Peter Dinklage Yoda-character? Would be quite awesome. We could also get Sean Bean to die again, the man seems to make a professional career out of being the plot driving death.

I could never really get over the Tudors, it's the same with most medical shows like House where each patient has to be misdiagnosed two times before getting the right one. With the Tudors it was historical accuracy. Sure it serves to tell a more interesting story because who the fuck cares about the people dying from disease when they could be stabbed and suffocated to death?

Hope and see, hope and see, that's my motto for what Disney does with the Star Wars license, mostly on the gaming side, but the movies might be good to.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
excalipoor said:
NpPro93 said:
excalipoor said:
It's mostly just irrational hatred of someone better looking than myself.
To quote Cave Johnson "its you and me against the world, son!"

Robetid

Feb 1, 2013
I don't care who they bring on for star wars, there better be some Jar-Jar.

OT: I havent really seen anything Mr. Meyers has been in but if he is as solid as everyone says then this should be a decent movie with the return of the original cast.

LordMonty

Badgerlord
Jul 2, 2008
I hope they rework some old books in, rewrite them ofc... but You know there was this Blue skined dude... a Chiss if i remeber correctly who was in a somewhat badass story arch... I know Grand Admiral Thrawn is probally too much to hope for but hell it'd be so cool and a good bad guy to roll on for the Trilogy. Also would result in Mara Jade and a whole host of other big soft cannon characters becoming hard cannon :)

Talvrae

The Purple Fairy
Dec 8, 2009
LordMonty said:
I hope they rework some old books in, rewrite them ofc... but You know there was this Blue skined dude... a Chiss if i remeber correctly who was in a somewhat badass story arch... I know Grand Admiral Thrawn is probally too much to hope for but hell it'd be so cool and a good bad guy to roll on for the Trilogy. Also would result in Mara Jade and a whole host of other big soft cannon characters becoming hard cannon :)
Yeah but they already said that they won't make the movie from the EU