Infinity Ward Goes Behind the Scenes of Call of Duty: Ghosts

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Infinity Ward Goes Behind the Scenes of Call of Duty: Ghosts

Call of Duty: Ghosts will be made with a new engine, feature customizable multiplayer avatars, and give players a tactical pooch to befriend in the single player game.

Thanks to some <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123510-Retailers-Accidentally-Leak-Call-of-Duty-Ghosts>leaky retailers the gaming world has know of the existence of Call of Duty: Ghosts for several weeks now. In spite of the spilled beans, Activision and Infinity Ward have stayed mum on the game, until today. Though the star of the show was obviously the newly named Xbox One, Activision used the console's reveal event as an opportunity to officially unveil the latest entry in the Call of Duty franchise.

Central to Ghosts' presentation was the idea of connecting the player more deeply with the game's story, which takes place in a post-"event" United States where the American military has been defeated and you and your comrades are struggling to fight back against an un-designated foe. To inject some more emotion Activision enlisted Steven Gaghan, who won an Academy Award for writing Traffic, to help to craft a story that should take players a few steps away from the gung-ho nature of previous games. "They wanted emotional reality," said Gaghan. "They wanted these characters to feel real."

One character the developers seem to hope you'll connect to is a new canine companion that will join your soldiers in combat. "One of the fascinating new editions to your squad is a dog," said executive producer Mark Rubin. "This is someone you care about, this is a squad member. He does everything from sniffing out explosives to protecting the team." His real world counterpart also looks adorable in his/her motion capture get-up.

Ghosts will be made using a new engine tailored to next-gen consoles. The presentation, in turn, did well showing off Ghosts' visuals and how positively they compare to current Call of Duties. The new engine will be put to good use in various parts of the game, including multiplayer where players will be able to interact with dynamic environments, set traps and customize their own avatar for online play. The Xbox One will also have the benefit of timed exclusivity for all DLC.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
IW are making this one? Well at least players will actually be able to hit and kill people in this installment, unlike in other games....TREYARCH!

Still not going to buy it, no matter how glossy it looks or whatever tamagotchi/nintendogs features you put in the game. Once burnt and all that...

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
First thing I thought of when I heard about the addition of your bestest friend (the doggie) was Fable.

I have to admit, from what's been shown so far, I like it. Granted, I won't be able to play it for some time, but still.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Yeah, I'm not falling for that. It's the same story every year. It's always innovative, emotional and groundbreaking. Except that it never is.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
It looks pretty, but I found it very funny when they were discussing innovation while describing the ability to vault over small walls, lean around corners and the AI fish will swim away from you.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Somewhere, Ben "Yahtzee" Crowshaw is preparing his latest review for CoD: Ghosts in advance.

Arslan Aladeen

Oct 9, 2012
Can't you already lean? I tried out one of them free mp weekend deals on Steam for Blops 2 and I'm pretty sure you can lean in it. So, who wants to take bets the dog dies near the end and the main character cries in a totally hetero way before vowing vengeance on the bad guy?

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Arslan Aladeen said:
So, who wants to take bets the dog dies near the end and the main character cries in a totally hetero way before vowing vengeance on the bad guy?
The dog is adorable, and will be your best friend, of course s/he'll die. :'[

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
soren7550 said:
Arslan Aladeen said:
So, who wants to take bets the dog dies near the end and the main character cries in a totally hetero way before vowing vengeance on the bad guy?
He'll probably die saving your life and giving you the moment you need to take out the main villain. I will eat a tomato if this doesn't happen. And I fuckin' hate tomatoes. It runs in the family.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Legion said:
It looks pretty, but I found it very funny when they were discussing innovation while describing the ability to vault over small walls, lean around corners and the AI fish will swim away from you.
To paraphrase someone. "Innovation now means catching up to Half Life 2, Battlefield 3 and Dishonored?"

The idea of leaning being "innovative" for example actually made me fall out of my chair laughing. The jumping thing instantly made me think of Brink and BF3 and the fish? well... Thats really nothing to cry out abouOH MY GOD THE AAAARRRRMMMSS!!!

Ruley

Sep 3, 2010
i have a gripe with dynamic maps and bigger battles. don't they both kinda contradict themselves? hear me out:

The gist i feel he was trying to convey with dynamic maps was that it would lead to games being played out differently as a result of the map. sometimes something will happen, sometimes it won't (right?). I know he said player driven ones but i'll get to that in a sec. I already feel the static multiplayer maps give different experiences on their own, so i don't feel this is ground breaking.

But beyond that, the real point i want to make is that given longer battles (a point they bragged about) and what is ultimately a finite number of events that can be triggered (with the exception of identical if yet recurrent events like earthquakes), all of these events will be triggered by about halfway through the game? if not sooner? I'm yet to see how this proposition is any different to the concept of an exploding barrel or the bridge next to the windmill thing you can shoot to deploy on that Halo 2 map. sure, they can be game changing, they add a massive temporary advantage (explosion of a barrel) or a new route to your objective but then what? Once by halfway they've all been activated, its not so much dynamic as it is just giving players control on when to "open" some areas of the map up to what will ultimately result in a predetermined configuration. So the maps arn't dynamic at all, its just players pressing some buttons to unwrap the parcel of a map into its final form. Obviously this is a pessimistic view and theirs too little information to say all this for certain but like i said, i don't see this as innovation.

And character customization? Rainbow Six: Vegas beat you too it, so again no real innovation there.

leaning around corners? CoD: Blops 2 - i know you don't make it but you should have at least acknowledged it?

still looks like a copy paste of call of duty and moreover, the environments they showed off (mainly the jungle) on their next gen engine looked ripped from Halo 4. So not too ground breaking.

Same old CoD. Claims of innovation but little to show for it. I was laughing all the way through when they talked about characters you connect with (Half life 2), The first person arms, a new movement system they might as well have called SMART (brink fans), just... what? and the fish!? i'm defiantly buying this BECAUSE THE FISH HAVE AI!!!!

last point, ironic how the film went on about how they're design was driven by gameplay and they hardly talked about the gameplay...? at least that's the impression i walked away with...

Arslan Aladeen

Oct 9, 2012
Adam Jensen said:
soren7550 said:
Arslan Aladeen said:
He'll probably die saving your life and giving you the moment you need to take out the main villain. I will eat a tomato if this doesn't happen. And I fuckin' hate tomatoes. It runs in the family.
Maybe instead, the bet should be about how the dog dies. Would be a cool reversal if instead of the dog dying, the soldier you play as dies, and then you take over as the dog to finish the mission and kill the bad guy.

The Real Sandman

Oct 12, 2009
"Enovashun aynd ehmoshuns.Tis is wat Coal of Dyuty is all about. With moar polygons, we get moar enovashun, and of couyrse, moar ehmoshuns. As part of our enovashuns, we added dog, because dog is ehmoshuns, and ehmoshuns is enovashun."

Call of Duty: Ghosts

Available everywhere Fall 2013.

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
Mr. Q said:
Somewhere, Ben "Yahtzee" Crowshaw is preparing his latest review for CoD: Ghosts in advance.
Weeeell yeah, frankly I think Yahtzee stopped caring two shits about brown/gritty first person shooters centered around US-being-heroes a long time ago. Along with me :)
Ok so they're getting portrayed as the underdog, but it's still going to be about elite marines winning back US. Wooo, nice mix-up...I'll be surprised if he even bothers reviewing it.

Spec Ops had an exceptional story/narrative going but there is just no fucking way a CoD game is going to come even in the same star system as that in terms of story/narrative and raw emotion.
We all know it's an online shooter at this point so might as well treat it as one :)

The Real Sandman said:
"Enovashun aynd ehmoshuns.Tis is wat Coal of Dyuty is all about. With moar polygons, we get moar enovashun, and of couyrse, moar ehmoshuns. As part of our enovashuns, we added dog, because dog is ehmoshuns, and ehmoshuns is enovashun."
I think I cracked a fucking lung. Thank you for this, thank you very much, made my day :)

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Yuuki said:
Mr. Q said:
Weeeell yeah, frankly I think Yahtzee stopped caring two shits about brown/gritty first person shooters centered around US-being-heroes a long time ago. Along with me :)
Ok so they're getting portrayed as the underdog, but it's still going to be about elite marines winning back US. Wooo, nice mix-up...I'll be surprised if he even bothers reviewing it.

Spec Ops had an exceptional story/narrative going but there is just no fucking way a CoD game is going to come even in the same star system as that in terms of story/narrative and raw emotion.
We all know it's an online shooter at this point so might as well treat it as one :)

Yeah, but.... IT HAS A DOG!!!

WOW! Save some innovations for the next gen, CoD.

I'm sure Yahtzee will have to review it mostly due to the Escapist wanting him to suffer/see what kind of bile he can unleash.

Animyr

Jan 11, 2011
Calling it now; the dog will die leaping through the cockpit shield of a helicopter with a grenade it its mouth as the character screams "Noooo!!!" in slow motion.