EA Exec Says It Actually Will Develop Future Wii U Games

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
EA Exec Says It Actually Will Develop Future Wii U Games

EA's chief financial officer says the company is making Wii U games, but is focused on the Xbox and PlayStation brands.

Last week Electronic Arts spokesperson Jeff Brown, speaking to Kotaku, told the gaming world that the publisher had <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124097-EA-Has-No-Games-in-Development-For-Wii-U>"no games in development for the Wii U." Given the Wii U's much lower than expected sales and the <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123851-Just-Cause-2-Developer-Says-Wii-U-Dev-Kits-Are-Collecting-Dust>emerging reluctance of some developers to work on the platform, this news felt to many like a nail in the coffin of Nintendo's struggling console.

Now, it would seem that Brown may have overstated, as other EA employees have confirmed that the publisher is indeed working on games for the Wii U. Speaking at the Stifel Nicolaus 2013 Internet, Media and Communications Conference, EA's chief financial officer Blake Jorgensen offered some clarification to temper Brown's statement. "We are building titles for the Nintendo console, but not anywhere near as many as we are for PS or Xbox."

While perhaps not as positive a backtrack as Nintendo might have preferred, it's still likely a welcome reversal. Nonetheless, there are still substantial questions regarding what exactly EA will be making for the console. DICE's Frostbite 3 engine, which will likely serve as the foundation of many future EA games, doesn't <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123835-DICE-Says-Tests-on-Wii-U-Not-Too-Promising>run well on the Wii U. This on its own could serve as a substantial barrier to EA games making it to the console.

Similarly, while Jorgenstern has debunked any thoughts that EA might be backing away from the Wii U completely, he still acknowledged that next-gen machines like the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One are the publisher's priority. This doesn't suggest too much confidence in Nintendo's console. Not that EA is without reasons to doubt the Wii U. The publisher recently announced that sales of the Wii U version of FIFA 13 were so poor, it wouldn't be bringing FIFA 14 to the console. Similarly, EA confirmed earlier this month that Madden 25 <a href=http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/05/02/madden-nfl-25-skipping-wii-u.aspx>would be skipping the Wii U. In short, EA may not have abandoned the Wii U, but it's certainly moved past the <a href=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-07-ea-pledges-allegiance-to-wii-u>"unprecedented partnership" with Nintendo that it promised two years ago.

Source: <a href=http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/21/4351844/ea-developing-wii-u-games>Polygon

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
I guess we will get to see more star wars branded shovel-ware on the Wii U while real titles using EA's frost bite engine will go the real consoles[footnote]Lol, jeffers flame bait[/footnote]

wgar

Apr 22, 2012
CrossLOPER said:
Look at that back-peddling. Console makers just did not even try this time. We'll see what Sony has to offer. Worst case scenario, this will be the facebook gen and we can all laugh it off.
It's the CFO that said this. The CFO. The one that secures funding for projects from creditors and investors; the one that gets EA to borrow money at 5% to invest into its latest game.

Take it with a heaping of salt.

EstrogenicMuscle

Sep 7, 2012
If course they have. Of course they will.

They can no longer have an XBOX market, so of course they're going to need to turn to the Wii U and PlayStation 4.

I'd be look at the Wii U, as well, if I knew the XBOX was no longer a way to make money. Though, since they're EA, here's hoping they can't make money on any system. I'd like to see that.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
"We were just paid to lead you on in that regard while the announcements for the Xbox one were going on, Had ya going didn't we? We want ALL our shovelware on every friggin machine as usual."

Dammit you tosspots now every console is on even footing again, I can't decide which one I detest the least and my parents always expect me to 'make the call for them'.

Personally, sticking with PC, but think of my family. My familyyyy.

VinLAURiA

Dec 25, 2008
Screw 'em.

You already burned your bridges, EA. Just because you got burned when everyone saw how bad the Xbox One is and realized that maybe you couldn't do this generation on just XBO and PS4 doesn't mean you can come crawling back to the good guys after how you acted. You lost your chance eight months ago after your *****-fit over the Origin deal. Piss off.

Go and stick with your "next-gen" systems. You seemed so confident about them a day ago.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
Oh COME ON! What's with EA backtracking literally everything they say, I don't give a flyng f*ck about them, but seeing almost everyday a new "EA says they'll actually do that one thing they say they wouldn't" is getting pretty damn annoying.

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
They're probably talking about their casual games lineup from popcap which is likely coming to every platform with a screen. It wouldn't surprise me if that's all they believe the Wii U is capable of.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Wasn't EA contractually obligated to make Star Wars games for every console anyway? It could have been part of the deal they made with Disney. I'm not expecting EA to make anything other than watered down variations of XBone and PS4 Star Wars games but it's better than nothing.

TJC

Aug 28, 2011
Jeez, EA, back-pedal any harder and you might travel back in time. Fix the Sim City debacle while you're at it.

We all know that this console generation is won by the 3DS anyway so no one cares about your excuses anyway.

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
TJC said:
Jeez, EA, back-pedal any harder and you might travel back in time. Fix the Sim City debacle while you're at it.

We all know that this console generation is won by the 3DS anyway so no one cares about your excuses anyway.
The DS in general kicked this console generations ass.

OT:

They said they weren't currently developing right now any games for the Wii U, so they're not backpeddling, they're more or less just saying, "we're not making games now, but we'll make them later". So I don't see any hypocrisy over here.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
StewShearer said:
Not that EA is without reasons to doubt the Wii U. The publisher recently announced that sales of the Wii U version of FIFA 13 were so poor, it wouldn't be bringing FIFA 14 to the console.
More like Wii U owners aren't without reasons to doubt EA.Lets take a look at their track record so far

- Released a stripped down version of Fifa 13 that is missing many features from the PS3/360 version and was critically panned for being just a reskinned Fifa 12.Charge the same price as the superior PS3/360 version

- Release a port of Mass Effect 3 8 months after the PS3/360 version launched.Charge full price.At the same time and for the same price release the entire Mass Effect Trilogy on PS3

- Release a port of Need for Speed:Most Wanted 5 months after the other versions.Charge full price

Is it any wonder Wii U owners aren't buying EA games when all they've received so far are shitty,overpriced,late ports