Xbox One Keeps Indie Self-Publishing Off-Limits

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Xbox One Keeps Indie Self-Publishing Off-Limits

Microsoft says the advent of Xbox One will not change its strict indie game publishing requirements for Xbox Live.

Indie games are kind of a Big Thing these days, so you might think that Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft would take steps to encourage their presence and growth on their respective consoles. You'd be right two out of three times, as Nintendo and Sony both allow indies to self-publish on their networks, but Microsoft for some reason appears to be going in the other direction. Indie developers currently need a deal with either Microsoft Game Studios or a third-party publisher to get their stuff on Xbox Live and the coming launch of the Xbox One will not change that situation.

"As of right now, yes. We intend to continue to court developers in the ways that we have," Matt Booty, the general manager of Redmond Game Studios and Platforms, stated when asked if the current publishing restrictions would remain in place.

"I would also expect that for this new generation, that we're going to continue to explore new business models and new ways of surfacing content," he continued. "But Microsoft Studios is a publisher that works with a wide range of partners, as do a lot of other people, to bring digital content to the box."

It's a little vague, with talk of intentions and expectations and "as of right now," but Booty was less ambiguous with Ben Kuchera of the Penny Arcade Report, who eliminate [https://twitter.com/BenKuchera/status/337061358468231169] the Xbox Live Arcade and Indie Games channels and offer all its games under one big tent instead.

Source: Shacknews [http://www.shacknews.com/article/79309/xbox-one-wont-allow-indies-to-self-publish-games]

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
why do I get the feeling that a LOT of those indies are going to head over to Nintendo due to the eShop's lax requirements for distribution?

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
You know what?

I wonder how long it will take until a bunch of devs are tired of dealing with what the Big Three have provided as their next-gen console, come together, and actually fund and create the kind of console they really want to see. I mean, at this point, why hasn't such an attempt been made? Developers definitely want a console to work with, but at this point there's nothing that's got their real interest...

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Didn't they watch Sony's PS4 conference? Sony is welcoming the indie developers. I guess now we know why Blow doesn't want to release Witness on Xbox One. It's not much of an indie game if somebody else publishes it. Microsoft really wants to be like Apple. Fuckin' idiots.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
So in order to your indie game on Xbox One you need a publisher's backing or publish through Microsoft's own publishing branch... so making you technically not indie and defeating the purpose of indie games. Do I have that right? I find Microsoft logic difficult.

MisterColeman

Mar 19, 2009
In a rush to get ahead of the curve, Microsoft trips over it and falls backwards down several flights of stairs. The world watches.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
And for every indie developer that continues to deal with MS, I'll continue to not feel sorry for them. The saga continues.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
As an indie developer that has a publishing history with Microsoft. I sorta ok with this. 90% of the games on the 360 indie/arcade marketplace didn't make money for either Microsoft or their creators. The only redeeming factor is you could go around and tell people you release a game on a console. If your an indie studio and you create good games, you should already have a Microsoft Evangelist contact. If you got a good game you want to put on Xbox One, let them know and they will come to you.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
"As of right now, yes. We intend to continue to court developers in the ways that we have," Matt Booty, the general manager of Redmond Game Studios and Platforms, stated when asked if the current publishing restrictions would remain in place.
This can't possibly last if they have any desire to reach out to indie publishers. Sony and Nintendo are both making a concerted effort to make it easier for these people to put their games on their platform, but Microsoft wants to keep the process obfuscated in layers of bureaucracy and largely too expensive for most indie developers? They had a good thing going when XBLA first came on the scene and was really the only path for indie's to get onto consoles. But that hasn't been true in years and not only did they do nothing to really improve that, they're now saying they're going to continue to do nothing for the foreseeable future.

Well done Microsoft. Good to see your talent of just not getting it hasn't dulled at all in all of these years.

Jaeger_CDN

Aug 9, 2010
MisterColeman said:
In a rush to get ahead of the curve, Microsoft trips over it and falls backwards down several flights of stairs. The world watches.
They've already been tumbling down those stairs for months with Windows 8, their silly tablets and the windows phone. Basically what they need to do is ask Balmer what he wants and do the opposite and it should work.

ViciousTide

Aug 5, 2011
You have to convince me to re-buy 4 controllers, another kinect, 30 games, another blu-ray player, another HDD (why not 6 TB?), more rechargeable batteries...

Not even flinching from the xbox 360, ever. If forced to move, i'll just skip over to Windows XP, and download the new games.

Johnson McGee

Nov 16, 2009
The biggest indie developers pan Win 8 because of it's restrictions on self-publishing and limiting of software to windows store. Win 8 sales lackluster at best. Response? Institute even worse policy on the new Xbox.

Mcoffey said:
Well the Indies wont miss them. And neither will I, if the other shit I've heard about the Xbone is true.
Let it be so that forever shall the new Xbox be known as the Xbone.

Moosejaw

Oct 11, 2010
The news just keeps getting worse. I'm still getting the new console anyway because the PS4's share button business doesn't do all that much more to impress me, the only way I'm giving up on Microsoft is if they charge an obscene amount of money for the console, but I can see why everyone else is mad.

I really don't know what they're thinking, I can only hope the rage causes them to change their minds or there's enough clarifications at E3 to alleviate the worst of it.

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
A friend of mine & recovering Nintendo fanboy recently said to me that Sony will have an enormous advantage in the coming console generation by virtue of having not done anything stupid yet...

His words have thus far proven wise & true

(Sony stock shot up 10 points after XBone details were released. I expect them to continue to climb after this)

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
There were indie games on the xbox? I could never find them through all the advertisements for TV and kinect crap. No worries thats what my PC is for. :)