Capcom Cancels Zombie Pool In Wake Of Terror Attack

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Capcom Cancels Zombie Pool In Wake Of Terror Attack

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/Capcom_UK/status/337487695771205634 align=right]

Capcom thanks those wanting to attend for their understanding.

When Capcom announced its London zombie blood pool publicity stunt [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123899-Take-A-Bloody-Dip-In-Capcoms-London-Zombie-Pool], intended to mark the launch of Resident Evil: Revelations for Xbox 360, PS3, PC and Wii U, it was just harmless fun. However in the wake of a bloody terror attack in London Capcom feels, harmless or not, it would be wrong to go ahead with the event.

The afternoon attack involved two men, unidentified at time of writing, assaulting a third man, since identified as a serving soldier and veteran of Afghanistan, with bladed weapons including a machete. The attack took place outside the Royal Artillery barracks in Woolwich, and after their victim had been hacked down the assailants remained on the scene, posing for photographs, until armed police arrived. They resisted arrest, were shot, and are now in hospital. "We swear by almighty Allah we will never stop fighting you," said one of the attackers, recorded in video footage. "The only reason we have done this is because Muslims are dying every day. This British soldier is an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth."

Investigations are ongoing. British Muslim leaders have condemned the attack. "This is a truly barbaric act that has no basis in Islam and we condemn this unreservedly," says the Muslim Council of Britain. There have already been clashes between police and supporters of the far-right organization the English Defence League on the streets of Woolwich.

Source: Guardian [https://twitter.com/Capcom_UK/status/337487695771205634]

Dec 14, 2009
Are all religious based attacks terror attacks now?

2 guys kills another man, and while it's abhorrent, it's hardly a terror attack.

It's just plain old murder.

Giving these events such undue attention only spurs on others to commit such attacks (citation needed).

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Yes, because the Woolwich killings were committed by Zombies; oh wait they wernt. FFS Capcom grow a pair!

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Well, I can see why Capcom did it. Even though the two events aren't really related, I can see why people wouldn't exactly enjoy seeing literal pools of blood, the day after perhaps witnessing what happened. A bit heavy-handed to cancel it completely, but I can at least understand why.

Although, I am with Daystar, I wouldn't call it a terror attack just because there were religious "motivations" behind it. When I think of terror attacks, my mind goes to 9/11 and 7/7, not one man being killed by machetes.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Flak from gamers for cancelling, flak from society for not.

Poor Capcom... they're damned if they do, and damned if they don't.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:

2 guys kills another man, and while it's abhorrent, it's hardly a terror attack.

Giving these events such undue attention only spurs on others to commit such attacks (citation needed).
Exactly what I came in here to say.

It was a murder with supposed political/religious motivation. It's terrible, but people need to stop making these events to be much more than they are. It doesn't help anybody, if anything it makes it worse.

Quellist said:
Yes, because the Woolwich killings were committed by Zombies; oh wait they wernt. FFS Capcom grow a pair!
It's not cowardice, it's showing respect.

Do they need to, and should they need to? No, for the same reason you gave: Capcom's thing is about Zombies, not religious violence, but that doesn't mean they are wrong for doing it.

Spudgun Man

Oct 29, 2008
Considering the event that took place and the effect it has had so far on the public and the media it is very wise of Capcom to take this precaution, a case of closing the gate before the horse has bolted if you will.

It really wouldn't have been wise to go ahead with this in any regards, a man has lost his life.
Even if the Pool of Blood event is based on fictitious events or not the imagery of it would not look contextually moral.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:

Eh, terrorism is an umbrella term to describe attacks that are designed to have the maximum emotional and psychological impact. After these guys had cut the man to pieces, they stayed around at the scene of the crime encouraging people to film them while they spouted off political motivations. While it's not the same sort of terrorism we normally think of when somebody mentions that word, it does still fall under that banner.

Johkmil

Apr 14, 2009
NinjaDeathSlap said:
Daystar Clarion said:

Eh, terrorism is an umbrella term to describe attacks that are designed to have the maximum emotional and psychological impact. After these guys had cut the man to pieces, they stayed around at the scene of the crime encouraging people to film them while they spouted off political motivations. While it's not the same sort of terrorism we normally think of when somebody mentions that word, it does still fall under that banner.
Assasinations and the murder of police/military/government personell was the more common form of terrorism until quite recently. Mass murder is not the only form of terror. This is terrorism.

Capcom performed the wisest move in cancelling the event. The fallout for cancelling is miniscule compared to the potential media circus of a video game company hosting a blood bath so soon after an actual bloodbath.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Draconalis said:

Gamers might be vocal, but they are small and unimportant. Wider society, not so much.

OTOH, there's always a murder somewhere. If this isn't cool because of a high profile murder, it wouldn't be cool because of the other ones.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
thaluikhain said:
Gamers might be vocal, but they are small and unimportant. Wider society, not so much.

OTOH, there's always a murder somewhere. If this isn't cool because of a high profile murder, it wouldn't be cool because of the other ones.
Oh hell yeah, they made the right choice. The AMOUNT of flak matters too. just sayin... can't win.

Deshin

Aug 31, 2010
Come on guys, it's nice of Capcom to have done this. The Zombie Pool event was going to be fake blood and body parts everywhere and seeing as the poor guy in London got hacked to pieces by a couple of nutjobs with machettes they felt it was still too fresh to do it. Sucks for people who wanted to go... but I understand.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
thaluikhain said:
Draconalis said:

Uhm, are you serious here? Because it's hard to tell in text... Gamers make up a quite small group of society and they are unimportant for the most part. However they make up most of Capcom's customers so they do hold some importance.

OT: I'm actually glad Capcom did this. Sure, it's not connected and I don't think anyone is going to point the finger, but it's a sign of respect and I appreciate that.

annoyinglizardvoice

Apr 29, 2009
It feels weird to say this, but I support Capcom here. While I'm not a fan of being too fussy about such things, there is such a thing as "too soon", and it is important that they are taking into account how the gamers and the games industry are perceived.

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:

Exactly my feeling. In my opinion, this is the British media and government suffering from 9/11 envy. Let's get some perspective. A bomb in a public place, a plane flown into a building, these are acts of terrorism. A nutter with a meat cleaver is not, no matter what his motive.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Obviously it's a true shame that this happened, and I feel so sorry for his family but must the world stop turning every time someone dies? People die everyday.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
I find it funny when the same thing happens to a Pakistani man nobody gives a shit nor reports about it. Just shows you exactly how the media works and how many tragedies are probably never reported on unless the word terrorist can be stappled to them.

Though Capcom did the smart thing. A pool of blood after pool of blood in the streets is not good PR nor will allot of people thank you for it. So both good business sense and pr. A true christmas miracle.

Harlemura

Ace Defective
May 1, 2009
Flatfrog said:
Daystar Clarion said:

Exactly my feeling. In my opinion, this is the British media and government suffering from 9/11 envy. Let's get some perspective. A bomb in a public place, a plane flown into a building, these are acts of terrorism. A nutter with a meat cleaver is not, no matter what his motive.
I think running a guy down in a car, dragging him out into the middle of the road to make sure everyone can see, cleaving the man all over, beheading him and then hanging around and requesting people record them so they can justify themselves and spread a message counts as some kind of terrorism. It's more than just a religion-based murder, anyway.

Anyway, I think Capcom were probably right to call the event off. Even though almost anyone who knows what a zombie is would see how the stunt has no relation to the murder, there's just too many ways it could be seen as disrespectful.
Besides, if they want people to get talking about their game, they should follow in the wake of the Dragon's Crown sexualisation debate and put some emphasis on Lady Hunk.