Team Builds Life Size X-Wing With Legos

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Team Builds Life Size X-Wing With Legos

Using more than 5.3 million Lego bricks, a team has constructed a life sized X-Wing to celebrate the launch of The Yoda Chronicles on Cartoon Network.

There is a place where dreams come true. It's not in the clouds, or some land of milk and honey. It's at the LEGO Model Shop in Kladno, Czech Republic. There, following months of planning, thirty-two person team of professional Lego builders toiled to construct arguably the coolest thing ever crafted by human hands: a life-size X-Wing starfighter built almost entirely out of Legos.

The model which weighs a staggering 45,980 pounds was made with 5,335,200 individual Lego bricks. The planning stages alone took months to complete while the actual construction took place over four months and totaled a whopping 17,336 man hours to complete. "This has been a wild and exciting project for us, and it's taken an international team of designers, engineers, structural consultants, model builders, and logistics personal over a year to bring this model from a conception to reality," said Erik Varszegi. As complex as the project was, not every part of it was difficult. "Designing it was the 'easy' part, as we were creating a scaled version of an actual toy construction set."

Held together by a specially designed steel frame, the X-Wing was broken down into thirty-four pieces following its completion before being shipped by boat to the New York It was then reassembled and unveiled at an event in Times Square celebrating the impending launch of The Yoda Chronicles, a three-part mini-series that will air on Cartoon Network starting on May 29th. The X-Wing will remain in Times Square until the end of this coming weekend, after which it will be transported to Legoland California where it will remain on exhibit for the rest of the year.

Source: <a href=http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/05/largest-lego-x-wing/#slideid-144942>Wired

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
saintdane05 said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Easily the best X-news I've heard all week.
But what about the new X-Files comic?
There's a new X-Files comic!? 0.0

OT: Ah Legos, nothing is more relaxing that building things with Legos. Coincidentally nothing is more painful then digging Legos out of your flesh after you fall on them...

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Neronium said:
Coincidentally nothing is more painful then digging Legos out of your flesh after you fall on them...
Now imagine the pain of digging the seat of the X-Wing out of your ass after the jump to hyperspeed.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/154/500/tumblr_loyytsW3VD1qjggqwo1_500.jpg

Seriously, that is some DAMN impressive work. I thought people who built those massive structures in Minecraft had patience and skill.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Shame that they made it look like a bigger sized lego X-Wing, instead of looking like the ones from the movies.

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
Neronium said:
saintdane05 said:
DVS BSTrD said:

OT: Ah Legos, nothing is more relaxing that building things with Legos. Coincidentally nothing is more painful then digging Legos out of your flesh after you fall on them...
http://www.tfaw.com/blog/2013/04/03/x-files-season-10-begins-in-june/
A continuation of the show.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
saintdane05 said:
Neronium said:
saintdane05 said:
DVS BSTrD said:

http://www.tfaw.com/blog/2013/04/03/x-files-season-10-begins-in-june/
A continuation of the show.
...*glomp hugs*
When I rule the world I will remember this and you shall be spared.
Thank you, now I'm not so sad anymore. Ah Legos and X-Files, what a good way to end the day.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Now to the most important question.
Does it fly? Otherwise I'm unimpressed.
Well not really, this is some impressive job done right here.

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
Good, goood. NOW DO THE DEATH STAR. Or, if that is too much for you (you pussy), I guess I could settle for a life-sized Darth Vader inside of his TIE fighter.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Squilookle said:
Shame that they made it look like a bigger sized lego X-Wing, instead of looking like the ones from the movies.
Yeah, odd move that. Still, they said it made it easier, though I'm not sure by how much.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Hey, I've got a small one of those on my desk! Kudos for them scaling up and actual Lego set. XD

Cgull

Behind You
Oct 31, 2009
Three thoughts immediately spring to mind;

1) That's just awesome and I want it.

2) After it's been exhibited for a year, will it be broken back down? I very much hope not!

3) Reading 'Legos' hurts my brain. It may only be a British thing but I've only ever known the plural version to also be 'Lego'. Obviously I'm biased but I think it's better that way...

purf

Nov 29, 2010
StewShearer said:
a_cluttered_picture_of_some_thing_in_the_distance.jpg
let me fix that:

How it's sitting in the hangar (yes, a hangar at an airfield) makes it even much more awesome. More shots here [http://www.flickr.com/photos/brothers-brick/sets/72157633640088026/with/8794642333/]

Squilookle said:
[...] they made it look like a bigger sized lego X-Wing [...]
...which is the point of it.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
purf said:
StewShearer said:
a_cluttered_picture_of_some_thing_in_the_distance.jpg
let me fix that:

more photos here [http://www.flickr.com/photos/brothers-brick/sets/72157633640088026/with/8794642333/]

Squilookle said:
[...] they made it look like a bigger sized lego X-Wing [...]
...which is the point of it.

So an X-Wing made of Legos that are also made of Legos? That's freaking brilliant.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
Ldude893 said:
So an X-Wing made of Legos that are also made of Legos? That's freaking brilliant.
Reminds me of the time James May made a lego house. He started by making bricks out of 272 normal sized lego bricks. Here's hoping the X-wing has a happier fate than that house.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
... "Legos"...!

Pokemons. Sheeps. Legos. Seeing a pattern? The plural is the same as the singular! You know how frustrating it is when you hear someone talking about games and they don't know what they're on about? That's what it feels like to me whenever I someone says "Legos". So don't do it.

Captcha: toe the line. Yes Captcha, my sanity is toeing the line as we speak.