Codemasters Unveils $190,000 Grid 2 Special Edition

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Codemasters Unveils $190,000 Grid 2 Special Edition

The exclusive Grid 2: Mono Edition comes with special packaging, a PlayStation 3 console, a Grid 2-branded helmet and a street-legal BAC Mono supercar.

You're not just a gamer, you're a collector. $150 for the BioShock Infinite Songbird Edition? No problemo. You've got that huge Skyrim dragon sitting on a table, too. And the GTAV edition with the bag and the cap? Already preordered. But now Codemasters is here to separate the men from the boys with a special edition of Grid 2 that comes with a real live car - the BAC Mono [http://www.bac-mono.com/index.php], a British-built machine with a carbon fiber body and four-cylinder engine generating 280 bhp that takes it from 0 to 60 in less than three seconds and tops out at a mind-melting 170 MPH.

That might as well be all, but it's not. The bundle also comes with a Grid 2-branded Bell Racing helmet, Grid 2 racing suit, boots and gloves all made to measure, a day at the BAC factory which includes a tour and time spent with technicians on car customizations, a PS3 console and of course special-edition packaging for the game.

[gallery=1522]

Codemasters says this is the most expensive special edition videogame ever created and I certainly wouldn't challenge the claim. Only one is being made and it's only available in Europe, but it is street legal so you could actually drive it to work - but carpooling is obviously out. And while the standard wait time for a BAC Mono is 14 months, the purchaser of the Grid 2 Mono Edition will take delivery in just six months.

The Grid 2 Mono Edition is up for preorder now (seriously) at Game.co.uk [http://www.game.co.uk/en/grid-2-bac-mono-edition-228776]. Grid 2 comes out on May 28 in North America and May 31 in Europe for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC. Insurance, for both the car and your life, is most definitely not included.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
VoidWanderer said:
There... there are no words...

I just...

Just remember, for everything loved in the world, somewhere out there is ALWAYS someone who loves somthing more than us.

Without a doubt this is going to be sold, even if it saddens us deeply.

Octorok

May 28, 2009
The Game listing for it cracks me right up.

"Only £125000.00

Free UK Delivery"

Hahahaha

And the Product Summary section is just this -> http://img.game.co.uk/images/content/SpecialEditions/GRID2BacMonoLarge.jpg

Oh, and "Please note: prices in GAME Stores may differ."

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
Jesus. Talk about a toy for the kids of the 1-Percent. If I were there I'd be using the car more than the game. The game becomes almost pointless at that point, since most of the time you're buying these games to drive the cars that you'll never have in real life.

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
Hey.

Hey Codemasters.

Does the $190,000 edition come with an in-game cockpit view on the PC?

Because that's the condition for my purchase of any edition at all.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
Well, it's obviously a pr stunt but why not? they have the cash to buy one and i'm sure it will sell.

admittedly it's surprising to me there's a market for a collector's edition car tacked onto a game, that's a little like winning a house in a cereal box it's just.. unexpected.

I could almost imagine the super rich giving the game as a present and being all like, yeah but wait till you see the collector's item! it's spiffy!
the sad truth is it will probably end up in someone's garage and never be raced as a one of a kind item.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
I can just see some sugar daddy telling his wife he's going to get their kid a PS3 and a racing game but keep "the thing that comes in the box" for himself. Deal?

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
My God, that is awesome! I wish I had the money for that!

I just checked and a base spec BAC Mono is just over £100,000. Considering how much extra they throw into the Grid edition, £25k extra doesn't seem all that bad :)

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I wouldn't buy that if I had billions. That's so fuckin' tacky and disgusting. I wonder what kind of asshole is actually going to buy that thing.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Adam Jensen said:
I wouldn't buy that if I had billions. That's so fuckin' tacky and disgusting. I wonder what kind of asshole is actually going to buy that thing.
How is the BAC Mono tacky? :O It's minimalist and aggressive. Though, yeah, then there's that paint scheme...

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
This is ...quite interesting, the only thing that has more value than this is ...an unopened version of this 30 years from now.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
unstabLized said:
Ohhhhhhhhhhh my God... My inner car lover just exploded into pure love...
Not on the keyboard man.

I've watched top gear enough to know that's an amazing car.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Adam Jensen said:
Probably someone that does track days and likes video games and has the money to spare, and yes they exist lots of them. Cant remember how many I have met at track days that talked about different racing games too.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
I might have considered it if the Mono had a windshield.

Or if I liked racing cars.

...Or if I liked cars in general.

.....Or if I liked racing games in general.