Imminent Update Resurrects Terraria PC

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Imminent Update Resurrects Terraria PC

Reports of Terraria's death have been greatly exaggerated.

Last year, Terraria creator Andrew "Redigit" Spinks announced that development on the PC version of his handcrafted open-world sandbox game was drawing to a close [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119781-Terraria-Creator-Confirms-No-New-PC-Content]. A console version of the game would be released shortly after, but the PC fanbase that made Terraria a hit in the first place felt a bit betrayed that the game would seemingly leave the PC and continue its life on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

If you're among the incensed, I've got great news: The PC version of Terraria isn't quite as dead as we'd thought. A new update is headed for the title, and it includes a sizable amount of new, PC-exclusive content. To wit:

Terrarians will encounter many new items, enemies, mechanics and challenges, to speak nothing of bosses and biomes. A lot's been confirmed so far. For builders, there's furniture, materials (rainbow bricks and shadewood), design tiles and banners (and campfires). Combat enthusiasts can look forward to beam swords, cannons, Hammush (Legend of Maxx reference!), snowballs, shields and traps. All tinkerers can rejoice at accessories, active and inactive versions of every block and wire fixes and enhancements. Apparel has also changed: vanity-wise, expect Egyptian, Eskimo, fairy and steampunk outfits; whereas armor can now be dyed and has grown to include snow and cactus sets. There'll be different mobs and variations on old ones (non-mechanical bosses with unique AI; clown bombs won't destroy tiles anymore) as well as appearing with health bars (with the suggestion that the on-screen reminders be toggled). Regarding mechanics: players will be able to automatically walk up half blocks and one block high tiles; PvP will be tweaked; and Hardmode will undergo changes, not just limited to the spread of corruption and hallow.

The newsletter then goes on to detail the game's aesthetic additions, and the new unicorn mount (which is actually just a unicorn head on a stick), before offering up a video walkthrough of the new content. You'll find that clip embedded above.

So far there's no release date on Terraria's 1.2 patch. According to its creators, the update is a massive undertaking, and while they hope to have it available by July of this year, there's no guarantee that it won't slip a bit.

There's been no word on whether or not any of this content will appear in the console versions of Terraria. While we'd like to think that an inevitability, the two versions of the game are effectively separate projects at this point. It's currently unknown as to whether 505 Games (the people responsible for the console version of Terraria) has plans to adapt this new PC content to the Xbox 360/PS3 iterations of the game. We've contacted 505 Games to look into this question, and will update this article when/if we hear back.

Source: Terrarian Times [http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/the-terrarian-times-issue-8.100246/]

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
I guess Mr Spinks saw his competition and quietly thought "OH SHIT. My free ride is coming to an end!"
Nothing wrong with that; that's why competition is good.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
I thought the original butthurt on the Facebook was a sad display of some gamers being selfish. Glad to see Spinks decided to return to this game and try to surpass his promises with it. I hope people appreciate it.

Elate

Nov 21, 2010
AzrealMaximillion said:
I thought the original butthurt on the Facebook was a sad display of some gamers being selfish. Glad to see Spinks decided to return to this game and try to surpass his promises with it. I hope people appreciate it.
Are you referring to when people got annoyed at the console release stuff? Because that was kind of a legitimate (if somewhat over the top) reaction, though I don't specifically know what happened on Facebook.

With Starbound on the horizon, Terraria looks so boring in comparison. I'm sure I had fun when I plowed 150+ hours into it, but now, with all the changes that were made to the way things like potions work, it just feels grindy and boring. So, aside from maybe booting it up once to check out those waterfalls, I'm not really interested in this update, and honestly it feels like he's doing it more because of Starbound and possible lost sales due to the entire community hating him, than because he wants to rectify the fuck up he made. Eitherway, when you're going up against a game with space and mechs, you're always going to lose in my books.

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
I hope these changes come to console. I also hope that if it does the entitled babies stay silent.

DaGobbo

Sep 14, 2010
I'm more interested in Starbound then an update to Terraria. I'll check the update out, but I agree with Elate this update would probably never have happened it Starbound wasn't on the horizon. Besides I already have Starbound on preorder.

E-Penguin

Jun 7, 2010
VoidWanderer said:
kajinking said:
Jessie and TB anyone play Terraria pt 2 anyone?
*Grabs a copy of the Article and runs to TB and Jesse*

Now can you please resume the Terraria series?
I recall TB claiming that they would consider continuing their LP if the update was large enough.

I think it was on this podcast:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60nnX_B28s0

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
DaGobbo said:
I'm more interested in Starbound then an update to Terraria. I'll check the update out, but I agree with Elate this update would probably never have happened it Starbound wasn't on the horizon. Besides I already have Starbound on preorder.
Same, terraria had its golden moment with no real competition and they squandered it and now with a new and potentially better game on the horizon they try to pump life into a game they left for dead 6+ months ago

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
The console version just kinda tacked a +1 onto all the endgame gear, so, I'm not really losing any sleep over it.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Old news. Some of us have been following this particular story for months now. I'm still excited for the update. I can never get enough mining and fighting and building castles.

Holythirteen

Mar 1, 2013
Atmos Duality said:
I guess Mr Spinks saw his competition and quietly thought "OH SHIT. My free ride is coming to an end!"
Nothing wrong with that; that's why competition is good.
Oh heh, is that why it was half price on steam recently? I get it...

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Elate said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
Are you referring to when people got annoyed at the console release stuff? Because that was kind of a legitimate (if somewhat over the top) reaction, though I don't specifically know what happened on Facebook.
Basically think of how internet mobs attack something in an immature and fickle manner and that sums up how the reaction to the console Terraria went. And to be fair, I don't think its right that people were calling Spinks a liar for selling the console rights to the game and take care of his son. I forget weather it was here on the Escapist or on the Facebook page, but someone I brought that up to had the balls to say "I don't care about the fact that he has a newborn kid, he promised more feature for this game."

At that point there's really no damn point in instilling logic to the situation. Life happens and some gamers need to accept that and treat developers like human beings instead of game factories, especially when they're part of a 3 man indie team at the time.

Edit: Here's the quote. It was on these forums that someone said something this dense:
It's getting annoying to read the "well, the game is worth the 10$, so shut up" comments.

I don't care if it's worth it. I, and many others have bought the game on a promise for more content. I don't care his son was born, I don't care the dev. team is small, I don't care the port and additional content are made by a different dev. team. I just don't care. Neither of those things are my problems.

He gave his word that he will add some content, he didn't keep his word. I am entitled to get angry about that. I won't take that shit.

So if you don't have anything to add to the discussion, please, shut the hell up. Tho I don't even see how here can be any kind of discussion because the situation is so clear, it can't be any clearer.

carlh267

Jun 4, 2012
If they really are changing corruption and hallow spread, I may just return to that game.

The fact that your entire world could be consumed by those two biomes unless you took painstakingly long measures to contain it is just stupid, especially since the corruption can quite literally eradicate your jungle.

E-Penguin said:
VoidWanderer said:
kajinking said:
Jessie and TB anyone play Terraria pt 2 anyone?
*Grabs a copy of the Article and runs to TB and Jesse*

Now can you please resume the Terraria series?
I recall TB claiming that they would consider continuing their LP if the update was large enough.

I think it was on this podcast:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60nnX_B28s0
Actually in this vid, he said they were giving up the series. They're going to be doing a Starbound one when it comes out.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Desert Punk said:
That persons position is fairly understandable.

If game Developer says "for 10 dollars I will deliver X!" and then only delivers up to J, the people who gave him the ten dollars have every right to be pissed that he stopped short of what they were promised.

Personally, I dont care what developers do in their outside life either, I didnt buy the game so I couldnt give two cares about if he breaks his word or not. (I have the game, but I think I got it in a bundle from someone or another). But if I pay for X, I want X. I could order a bacon cheeseburger, and if its missing the bacon, it can still be a DAMN good cheeseburger, but I still payed for the bacon, and they should deliver on that.

Particularly because him coming back when competition is on the horizon shows how much bullshit he was spouting to the people who gave him their money.

As for the OT: Just him trying to look goodd before Starbound comes out and puts his game to shame. Nothin really to see here.
I disagree. I have the game and saw it become a complete title. The features that people were complaining about for the most part were vanity items which, to be honest the game didn't need in order to be called complete. It had its start, it had hours of gameplay with bosses along the way, and it had an end long before the console version was announced. And the thing is, once the game is considered gold, any free update after that is really just extra.

I can't really fault the guy for stopping updates considering that he had a newborn son to take care of. Family first. If we as gamers can't even accept that as a reason for an already complete games's extra bells and whistles to stop happening, then we really need help as a culture.

Also, the developer promised free content, which he delivered upon. What he didn't promise was free content forever. And none of the butthurt "fans" of the game could pull a source to any "broken promise" that he made. So I don't think your Cheesburger analogy works here. We got the burger and we got the burger with free extra condiments. People are just mad because they temporarily stopped the free refills that we never an unlimited option in the first place.