Sony Invites Notch to E3 With a Golden PlayStation

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Sony Invites Notch to E3 With a Golden PlayStation

And you thought your custom console plates were classy.

How do you send an invitation with style? Email's out of the question, and a card simply won't do. Well, if you're Sony, you send a gift that's not only classy and stylish, but also plays Final Fantasy VII. That's exactly what Minecraft creator Notch recently found in his mail - a golden PlayStation One, paired with a VIP invitation to Sony's PlayStation 4 press event at this year's E3.

At the moment, console gamers can only enjoy Minecraft on the Xbox 360. Despite this, Notch and Microsoft aren't exactly best buds: the indie developer has openly criticized the direction of Windows 8 and Mojang has expressed interest [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122530-Minecraft-May-Come-To-PlayStation] in porting Minecraft over to the PlayStation when their exclusivity deal with Xbox expires. Notch also remarked that the Xbox One is shaping up to be a disappointment, commenting that he "wanted a game console, not a voice and gesture based TV remote box." It seems Sony has been listening, and in keeping with the company's recent efforts to win over indies, they'd like to extend a welcoming hand to Mojang.

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/notch/status/338960644193779712]

Ever the thoughtful gift giver, Sony evidently packaged an old copy of Dungeon Master 2 with the golden game system. Granted, the company overlooked the fact that the gift did not include PlayStation One video or power cables, but it's the thought that counts, right?

Source: Twitter [https://twitter.com/notch/status/338959613271629824]

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
LOL! They sent him a PSone to lure him away from the Xboxone.

Personally they would've had me at "Plays FF7".

flarty

Apr 26, 2012
I really am liking Sony and their aggressive move to support the indie scene.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Fair play, it's a little crazy seeing just how hard Sony are courting the high profile indie's right now. I hope they can turn it into sales for indie developers too

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Wait, is it gold-colored or made of gold? Either is pretty neat, but I'd much prefer the latter ;)

Heh, PSOne. Wonder if that's a jab at Microsoft.

Elate

Nov 21, 2010
Jove said:
I never heard of Dungeon Master 2. Anybody ever played it? What is that about? 0_0

OT: Very cool of Sony to do. If you're going to bribe, do it like this! :D
You make a dungeon and are evil, it's pretty fantastic. I adore it.

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
Seems Sony's getting their ass in gear now that they see their chance. Great for them I suppose, I'm not into the console scene but so far the PS4 is looking much more attractive then the xBone

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
I instantly want this to be available to purchase despite the fact that I already have two consoles that play PSOne games.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Seeing Sony and Nintendo going after indies has been interesting. E3 is going to be very interesting, that's for sure...

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
If nothing else, Sony is making all the right moves as far as PR is concerned. They're playing this brilliantly so far. Also everyone who said their reveal event was pretty bad, in hindsight after the XbOne's, it seems pretty good. As it focused on...games and game development.

Somethingfake

Oct 22, 2008
"won't due"? Think you might have to change that a little.

OT: That's a classy way to invite someone there Sony, props to you. Smart too getting one of the Big Indie guys out there to turn up to E3 for you.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Phrozenflame500 said:
...the PS4 is looking much more attractive then the xBone
The PSone is looking better than the Xbone!

It's funny how Sony are mopping up the popular indie developers that Microsoft fucked over, whilst Microsoft are getting in to bed with two time Golden Poo award winners EA. I guess that is a sign of the directions each console is going in.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
He should flip that case over and check for the mark of the beast.

I too aspire to be someday have attempted bribes sent to me.

Naqel

Nov 21, 2009
Initially, I was planning to just go straight for the Nextbox, because I have a 360 with a bunch of games.

After Xbone reveal, the lack of backwards compatibility, and an effectively always-on internet requirement had me decide to skip this generation entirely.

Now I'm pretty much set on getting a PS4.
Sony is doing everything exactly the kind of way I believe should be rewarded with a purchase.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
More reasons Sony is better than Microsoft in every way. Let's just hope Sony's conference doesn't disappoint Notch. That would be pretty embarrassing

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
I'm throwing money at the screen and nothing's happening...I want that golden Psone!

Well played Sony...Well played.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
Frostbite3789 said:
If nothing else, Sony is making all the right moves as far as PR is concerned. They're playing this brilliantly so far. Also everyone who said their reveal event was pretty bad, in hindsight after the XbOne's, it seems pretty good. As it focused on...games and game development.
Indeed, this might be a basic PR move, but at least it's reassuring that Sony is competent enough to pull off a basic PR move without pissing off everyone, and they are at least vaguely in touch with what their audience would hear about and approve of.

After the Reveal, I'm starting to believe that if someone would have suggested this at Microsoft, they would have replied: "Notch Who? Is that someone we saw in Television? No? Then let's make a public stetment about how he can kiss it, I bet no one will notice."