Man Creates Ultra-Detailed Embroideries of Videogame Scenes

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Man Creates Ultra-Detailed Embroideries of Videogame Scenes

Swedish Artist Per Fhager and his recreations of pixel art in wool is taking the internet by storm.

No, you are not looking at a screenshot of classic Neo-Geo side-scrolling shooter Blazing Star. What you are looking at is a recreation of the horrendously cluttered game made painstakingly out of wool. Swedish artist Per Fhager has been taking the internet by storm as of late, with his recreations of classic video game scenes as embroideries.

Scenes from Super Mario Bros. 2, The Legend of Zelda and Super Mario World are brought into the world of wool, as are some intricately detailed works on slightly more obscure games such as Pop'n TwinBee and Seiken Densetsu III. I wonder if Fhager sees the irony in a wool recreation of Kirby's Dreamland, considering the release of Kirby's Epic Yarn [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirby's_Epic_Yarn] not too long ago.

While making an embroidery of character art or a montage of their favorite parts of the game is pretty cool, you have to admire the dedication and attention to detail it takes to recreate screenshots pixel-for-pixel. Especially for games as busy as those old-school shoot-em-ups.

Check out the full gallery bellow. It humbles me to see that Fhager can make such magic out of just some needles and wool, while I can barley re-attach a loose button to my shirt.

[gallery=1525]

Source: Rocket News 24 [http://www.steneprojects.se/Per-Fhager-SWE]

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
Aw man, that Ikaruga piece is awesome.
Actually, these are all awesome but I was not expecting to see Ikaruga in the slightest.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
God, that's some beautiful art. They must have taken an insane amount of time.

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
Those are beautiful. I wish my hands did not shake so much, so I could never pull something like that off.

Next question, Is he selling his work? Where can I buy them?

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
..Is that Seiken Dentetsu 3? (The one with the pumpkin monster)

These are really really nice. Love the richness of detail.
I don't embroider, but I can't imagine that was an easy thing to do.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
That is wicked cool. Sometimes I think I should have kept doing crafts. Embroidering isn't as easy as you might think (especially for patterns this elaborate).

Idlemessiah

Zombie Steve Irwin
Feb 22, 2009
Revolutionary said:
That is wicked cool. Sometimes I think I should have kept doing crafts. Embroidering isn't as easy as you might think (especially for patterns this elaborate).
I remember doing cross-stich embroidery in school using cloth with big gridded holes as a guide. Made for fairly chunky looking pictures but pixel-by-pixel recreation would be quite easy with that stuff. A good starting point for getting into the hobby for novices such as myself.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Looking good from my neighbour right there! (neighbour as country, not person -.-)
He sells them or just keeps them is the next question?

Shadowsetzer

Jul 15, 2010
piinyouri said:

Yep, it is. That particular boss is towards the end of the game.

This guy could make a ton of money selling these. They're awesome. :D

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
Wow! I remembered making a small keychain with my ex. and it took us 3 days just to make a 2"x2" picture. Those must have taken him months to make!

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
piinyouri said:

yes, yes it was, that made my smile :3