G-Cluster Console is Based Entirely in The Cloud

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
G-Cluster Console is Based Entirely in The Cloud

The cloud-based console will launch in Japan on June 20, and will cost around $140 with a $5 monthly subscription fee.

Earlier in the year, AMD unveiled some fancy new cloud based graphics cards [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122950-AMD-Unveils-Cloud-Gaming-Graphics-Cards]. One of the projects they said they were working with was known as the "G-Cluster," though we didn't get too much info on it. It now looks like the G-Cluster is set to be an entirely cloud-based console, releasing in Japan on June 20 for around $140. Due to the cloud-based nature of the machine, users will pay a $5 monthly subscription fee for their games, instead of purchasing titles individually.

The G-Cluster is being produced by Broadmedia, a company that is behind various streaming TV and movie services in Japan. Kind of like Japan's Netflix. The launch titles will consist of mostly puzzle and adventure games with a few larger titles as a bonus, the most notable one being Lego Harry Potter. The $5 monthly fee gets you the base range of titles, but for an extra $30 a year you can unlock the system's full range of games. It connects to a TV via HDMI, and while it does come with its own controller, it is actually compatible with a large range of third party alternatives.

Followers of cloud computing might remember the cautionary tale of On-Live, a company that attempted to make an entirely cloud-based gaming system for PCs and smartphones. Unfortunately, a low install base and high setup costs landed them in some financial woes, and the project has been suspended. Nonetheless, other companies have been incorporating aspects of cloud gaming into their systems since then. Steam syncs savegames and other data to its cloud, and Sony recently bought out Gakai, the world's largest cloud gaming provider, to use with it's PS4. Microsoft claims cloud computing will actually recently refuted. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.408811-Microsoft-Claims-Cloud-Will-Quadruple-Power-of-Xbox-One]

While the torches and pitchforks were quick to come in in America at the mere suggested the Xbox One would be "always-online," over here in the land of the rising sun, it's not as big of a deal. The internet infrastructure of Japan is incredible; I live out in a small country town, yet I am able to easily get a 100 megabit connection. If that goes down (which is very, very rare) I can tether unlimited 4G from my phone for free.

Japan seems like the perfect market to test the waters of cloud-based gaming. There is currently no word on when (or if) the system will make it to the West.

Source: Gearnuke [http://gearnuke.com/cloud-gaming-based-console-to-hit-japan/]

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
"The internet infrastructure of Japan is incredible; I live out in a small country town, yet I am able to easily get a 100 megabit connection. If that goes down (which is very, very rare) I can tether unlimited 4G from my phone for free."

Must resist urge to throttle...

We don't even have 3G here (despite living in the largest city on my island), the telecommunication companies charge an arm and a leg, (to hell with unlimited 4G, they still charge per text message) and the internet is utterly crummy, slow, unreliable and costs us about $100 a month.

And yet the companies are greasing government palms getting rid of regulations so that they're now able to set download limits and charge more. It's absurd.

Oh, and if you torrent something (legal or otherwise, keep in mind many MMOs use such a system for updates) they throttle your bandwidth down to near nothing. Can't see streaming gaming being something I'd consider here any time soon.

Flutterbrave

Dec 10, 2009
Jumwa said:
"The internet infrastructure of Japan is incredible; I live out in a small country town, yet I am able to easily get a 100 megabit connection. If that goes down (which is very, very rare) I can tether unlimited 4G from my phone for free."

Must resist urge to throttle...

We don't even have 3G here (despite living in the largest city on my island), the telecommunication companies charge an arm and a leg, (to hell with unlimited 4G, they still charge per text message) and the internet is utterly crummy, slow, unreliable and costs us about $100 a month.

And yet the companies are greasing government palms getting rid of regulations so that they're now able to set download limits and charge more. It's absurd.

Oh, and if you torrent something (legal or otherwise, keep in mind many MMOs use such a system for updates) they throttle your bandwidth down to near nothing. Can't see streaming gaming being something I'd consider here any time soon.
Damn, where do you live? Sounds awful.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
This is a horrible idea being pushed by the people who have no idea of how a network functions, and the internet is one giant network.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
This sounds more of a streaming gaming than cloud gaming. Also known as On-Live that suffers from publishers being greedy and not wanting to allow their games up there.

Nowhere Man

Mar 10, 2013
Meanwhile it's a good day for me if I can maintain a 5mb connection to my craptacular ISP. Fml. Cloud based anything is a looong ways off for those of us in North America.

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
In a couple years, when fiber internet is more widely integrated here in the states, cloud gaming could be viable, if not excellent

OnLive was/is pretty great. I still enjoy their service; that said, I have pretty good internet & I even have the occasional issue using it. I'm willing to predict that any cloud/streaming game service, no matter how well made & supported, will be niche at best in there U.S. for a long while

Good for Japan if they can pull it off

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
First it was better graphics, then it was wireless controllers, then it was 3D graphics, now it's the cloud.