Nightfall

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Nightfall

MovieBob takes a look at M. Night Shyamalan's career, and some of his more famous (and infamous) films.

Read Full Article

MisterShine

Him Diamond
Mar 9, 2010
I just want to say, in the defense of The Happening:

If viewed as as a Raimi-esque Evil Dead 2-ish Comedy-Horror, it is absolutely fantastic. You will laugh yourself silly. Though that could be because I was kinda high when I saw it in theaters with my friends. Either way, I recommend it to people on account of how hilarious it can be. When that lawnmower runs a dude over? I was in stitches.

ellers07

Feb 24, 2013
The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable are by far his best. Even the the surprise is spoiled once you've watched the Sixth Sense, I do enjoy re-watching it just to see it all come together and catch all the clues that I should've spotted the first time.

I enjoyed Signs and I would even go so far as to say I liked The Village and Lady in the Water. Yes, The Village wasn't quite up to par, but it had a fun Twilight Zone sort of feel to it and I didn't think it was boring. I know almost everyone hates Lady in the Water, but on it's own I think it's kind of a cool fairytale story. If you can look past the casting of himself and the behind the scenes nonsense, it's a decent little movie.

The Happening and Last Airbender I have no excuse for and can't find any redeeming qualities. Those are awful.

PuckFuppet

Entroducing.
Jan 10, 2009
I've always felt that Sixth Sense is really overrated. Good but not as good as (from my perspective) Unbreakable or even Signs. Maybe it was just a matter of timing or how I was exposed to it but Sixth Sense wasn't bad but never quite stuck with me, couldn't get invested in Willis's character enough to care, but then Unbreakable was just exactly what it needed to be in every way and seemed to fit Willis a lot better.

To each their own in regards to those three but I'm fairly certain everyone can agree that he started going downhill with LitW then just kept on rolling.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
I actually enjoyed Unbreakable. It's a nice spin on the superhero genre and its one of two M. Night films I'd recommend to anyone.

Looking back at Signs with fresh eyes, I believe this is where he started to lose it. The film sacrifices substance for style and its script is kneecapped by some idiotic concepts (I.E. "They seem to have trouble with pantry doors."). Once The Village hit, it was downhill from there. I even watched the video blog Moviebob made on YouTube that reviewed The Happening and agree with what he had to say. I like the concept of a nerve gas that makes people kill themselves and it could have work if the origin of said nerve gas and everything else in The Happening wasn't so fucking dumb.

The best object lesson that can be taken from the career of M. Night Shyamalan is "never let your ego get the better of you." The media had a help in over-hyping his success (Newsweek declared him "The Next Spielberg") as did the studios for giving him too much power, but the fault mostly lies on M. Night for not getting control of himself. Now, he's just another washed-up egomaniac whose career peaked too soon.

VortexCortex

May 1, 2013
Once I see his name in the credits, I spend the rest of the movie trying not to identify M's hallmark tropes and enjoy the movie for what it is.... Over the years this has become nigh on impossible. He just can't stand rubbing my nose in them. It's not an enjoyable experience even when the film is supposedly good otherwise. Know what would be an interesting "Twist"? Not doing the damn Twist.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
I'm on the side that thinks that M. Night was never all that good. Frankly, I found The Sixth Sense stupid, since its twist relied on a rediculous explanation to cover up dozens of plot holes. I give lots of credit to the acting and the technical aspects were very well done, but the story premise was just awful to me. My eyes rolled so hard when the twist hit they almost fell out of my face and I found myself getting more and more angry as I thought about the rest of the movie in hindsight.

Unbreakable was passable, but still seemed to rely a lot of things I found just silly. The basic idea was sound and again there were very solid technical skills on display, but the actions of some of the characters again seemed like total nonsense.

I found Signs to be passable the first time and almost unwatchable on subsequent tries. It was roundly the most ill conceived alien invasion of all time. Rita Replusa had a more coherent invasion plan than these aliens.

THe only other one I've seen is The Last Airbender, which galled me so much that I refuse to give M. Night another dime. The Last Airbender was one of the best and most thought provoking animated series I've ever seen and it got steam-rolled into nothing, ruining any chance to see it on the big screen. This was easily the most pissed I've been about a movie up until I saw Into Darkness.

Arslan Aladeen

Oct 9, 2012
I remembered someone spoiled 6th Sense to me and decided to watch it anyway. It seems like a whole lot of nothing happening with a few scenes that just don't make any sense when you see them with that knowledge.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
Vilealbaniandwarf said:
I think UNBREAKABLE is his ONLY good film. Sixth sense loses a lot once you know the twist. Unbreakable is still a good movie and actually seems to improve with each viewing.
I love Unbreakable, too. Sixth Sense definitely loses some of it's luster after knowing the big twist, but I wouldn't thusly call it unenjoyable. The setting, camera work, and genuinely creepy ghosts and circumstances continue to be unsettling to me and my family.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I think I heard somewhere that Unbreakable was supposed to be the first of a larger series- perhaps a trilogy- but that idea got scuttled (possibly by Shyamalan himself) when it didn't come through with over-the-moon box office.

That might be where things started to go wrong- where Shyamalan started to think that overwhelming audience approbation of his craft was less something he should strive for than his due, and that if it didn't work out then there was something wrong with the viewer, not the craftsman.

The stories about Shyamalan having people re-arrange their schedules to read his new scripts and attend to his paranoia about said scripts being leaked begin to make it sound less like typical Hollywood eccentricity and more like genuine neurosis.

The audience loves a narrative about a big ego being deflated. I try not to wish the man ill; if he could deliver a new story that was worth telling, I think he could see a lot of "sins" forgiven. I'm curious if the advertising for "After Earth" all but hiding Shyamalan's involvement is a sign of repentance or just caginess on the part of the studio.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
My favorite movie of his is Signs. But A) I love the alien invasion genre, and B) am very interested in and a supporter of the fatalist philosophy.

Ashoten

Aug 29, 2010
MisterShine said:
I just want to say, in the defense of The Happening:

If viewed as as a Raimi-esque Evil Dead 2-ish Comedy-Horror, it is absolutely fantastic. You will laugh yourself silly. Though that could be because I was kinda high when I saw it in theaters with my friends. Either way, I recommend it to people on account of how hilarious it can be. When that lawnmower runs a dude over? I was in stitches.
Yes it is a funny movie and everyone should watch it especially with the rifftraxx for it. Tons and tons of entertainment. This however was not the intent of Shiamalan. If you look at some of the imagery and the movies premise this movie was displaying Mr.Shiamalans apparent hatred and displeasure at his critics and fans.

The sign in the background that read "You deserve this"

The heavy handed environmental message using some pretty bad understanding of how plant biology works(not uncommon for scifi movie though. I think environmental awareness is important but the movie talks to us like we are idiots with no sophistication.

The straight up mean and spiteful ways most of the victims are killed esspecially the 2 teenagers who are shoot at point blank range.

The sheer idiocy of every character that is not Shamalans proxy Marky Walberg. The same thoughtful intellectual he puts in most of his movies that is under appreciated and if only people would listen to him everything would be better. It was annoying when Steven King did it and time has not made it any more palatable.

Most people find a healthy outlet for their anger like playing a video game or exercise but M. Night made a whole movie about killing people off as punishment for their own self induced sins(In this case ignoring the environment). I did not see Devil but that movie was a bit more direct about the punishment thing too.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
ellers07 said:
Yes, The Village wasn't quite up to par, but it had a fun Twilight Zone sort of feel to it and I didn't think it was boring.
It was kind of stilted and slow so you can see why some people thought it was boring. And the twist was one of the most stupid things I've ever watched.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I thought the Village was an interesting concept, in as I could see some folks in this age do something similar (the whole "life is better in the dark ages" ideal) in the real world. I may be one of the few people in the world who liked it enough to say it wasn't that bad.
I also was never a fan of the Last Airbender cartoon. Sorry folks, I rate it down with Naruto in my cartoons I fall asleep to. So watching the movie for some reason I enjoyed it. Maybe it was perverse pleasure watching friends who loved the carton writhe in agony and at one point hurl full buckets of popcorn at the screen during... Evil much?

I agree with Bob on Unbreakable. Awesome movie, detracted by the Sixth Sense's success and the casting of Bruce Willis. Hell we know Bruce is indestructible already. All the blood effects in his movies are just illusions to keep paradox manifestations at bay (cookie if you can name the absolutely obscure reference source).

Signs was good but was harmed greatly by the alien actually being shown. However you feel about Mel Gibson as a person, he is a great actor and the Culkin/Phoenix dynamic was also pretty good. Still that alien was just... a let down, like Cloverfield.

Still twists in movies kind of were ruined by Shamalamadingding. Except Wild Things, I loved that twisted fucking movie.

Ashoten

Aug 29, 2010
Gorrath said:
THe only other one I've seen is The Last Airbender, which galled me so much that I refuse to give M. Night another dime. The Last Airbender was one of the best and most thought provoking animated series I've ever seen and it got steam-rolled into nothing, ruining any chance to see it on the big screen. This was easily the most pissed I've been about a movie up until I saw Into Darkness.
Yeah this was the most baffling outcome for me. For a man who claims he is a hard core fan of the show and watched it 3 or 4 times with his kids he seemed to miss the entire point of the narrative and just thought the kung-fu was "neat". The one theme for the entire show Avatar TLAB is 'Kids vs. the World'. That's it. You have teen kids(tweens I guess) with little to no adult support having to just jump out into a world that is unfamiliar. They have to learn that they need to save the world, how to do it, and they have less then a year to travel the globe and do it.

But despite all this pressure Ang and the group stay upbeat trying to stave off becoming a cynical adults. Not to mention the older master that are brought into action because of the young team of adventurers. The show embraced the spirit and strength of youth and Mr. Shiamalans movie was the most dull and boring thing I have seen put to film. M. Night could not have missed the point more if he tried.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Callate said:
I think I heard somewhere that Unbreakable was supposed to be the first of a larger series- perhaps a trilogy- but that idea got scuttled (possibly by Shyamalan himself) when it didn't come through with over-the-moon box office.

That might be where things started to go wrong- where Shyamalan started to think that overwhelming audience approbation of his craft was less something he should strive for than his due, and that if it didn't work out then there was something wrong with the viewer, not the craftsman.

The stories about Shyamalan having people re-arrange their schedules to read his new scripts and attend to his paranoia about said scripts being leaked begin to make it sound less like typical Hollywood eccentricity and more like genuine neurosis.

The audience loves a narrative about a big ego being deflated. I try not to wish the man ill; if he could deliver a new story that was worth telling, I think he could see a lot of "sins" forgiven. I'm curious if the advertising for "After Earth" all but hiding Shyamalan's involvement is a sign of repentance or just caginess on the part of the studio.
But I thought Bob said Unbreakable was a hit. How much was it supposed to earn in the Box Office to make a sequel?
captcha: make a bee-line
...to a movie not directed by MNS. Hi-yo!