Oculus Rift Co-Founder Dies In Police Chase Incident

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Oculus Rift Co-Founder Dies In Police Chase Incident

Andrew Scott Reisse was killed Thursday afternoon in a Santa Ana, California police incident.

Andrew Scott Reisse, co-founder of the Oculus VR company that designs the Kickstarted VR headset, has died in Santa Ana, California. He was involved in a police incident, in which three suspects driving away from an officer-involved shooting ran Reisse down as he was crossing the street. He was pronounced dead at the scene. Reisse was 33 years old, and had moved to California a year ago. "Andrew's contributions span far and wide in the video game industry," Oculus said in a statement. "His code is embedded in thousands of games played by millions of people around the world. Words can not express how sorely he will be missed or how deeply our sympathy runs for his family."

The incident occurred when police became involved in a confrontation with four men, alleged to have been involved in criminal activity. The suspects escaped the scene in a Dodge Charger, which stopped to let one of the combatants escape on foot. That man was shot and killed by police. The remaining three drove away from the scene and became involved in a 20-minute chase, which ended when Reisse was run down and killed. Santa Ana police have identified the men as gang members with outstanding warrants for their arrest. The suspects in the Charger have been taken into custody.

Oculus Rift caught the world's attention when its Kickstarter, aiming to raise a quarter million dollars, raised nearly all kinds of talk as to what the headset may offer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120851-Big-Demand-Delays-Oculus-Rift-Headset].

Deepest condolences go out to the family, friends and co-workers of Andrew Scott Reisse at this difficult time.

Source: OC Weekly [http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/local/orange_county&id=9122999]

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
Absolute shame in almost every way. This may seem inappropriate given the situation but the words "apprehended, shot and killed" kinda rubbed me the wrong way. Did they like, cuff him and then execute him on the street?

But never mind that, I can't imagine the air hanging over the Oculus studio right now. From my understanding a lot of the team had been working with him since college.

yayforgiveaway

Aug 25, 2009
That man was apprehended, shot and killed by police.

From the decay rose a new order, a society ruled by a new, elite force. A force with the power to dispense both justice and punishment. They were the police, jury and executioner all in one. They were the Judges.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Well that is some horrible news. My sympathies to Andrew's family and colleagues.

Also, police shot a guy after they apprehended him? Please tell me that is not how I think it sounds.

nodlimax

Feb 8, 2012
My condolences to the family :(

I hope this doesn't have a major impact on the occulus rift project....

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Title is slightly misleading, at least to me, sounded like he was involved, rather than just got in the way.

But yeah, would like to know about the guy the police shot.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
In b4 someone places blame on the police for daring to arrest known gang members. The blame lies solely on the gang member.

mKeRix

May contain sarcasm
Oct 17, 2010
Wow.
He just moved to California like a year ago and had such a great thing going.
That's just sad.

Eiv

Oct 17, 2008
Eri said:
In b4 someone places blame on the police for daring to arrest known gang members. The blame lies solely on the gang member.
I got the same vibe.

OT: The man was a pioneer, he will be missed :(

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
That's the worst news I've heard in a while. This is a sad day in gaming history.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
My condolences. Collateral damage is a tragically shitty way to die.

Here's to hoping those gangers get prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

wrightguy0

Dec 8, 2010
a senseless waste of life, and a waste of youth, two dead, and three lives forever ruined, all because four young men were conned into joining the "thug life" my condolences to all grieving parties, the families of the dead, and the ones who must live with the shame of knowing their sons are murderers.

VincentX3

Jun 30, 2009
FFFFFUUUUU-

Seriously I hope they find those bastards,strap them too an oculus rift and put them in a Justin beiber concert!

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Eri said:
Sometimes police don't start or lay off car chases because of the danger to others. Sometimes they stick with them and these things happen.

Eiv

Oct 17, 2008
VincentX3 said:
FFFFFUUUUU-

Seriously I hope they find those bastards,strap them too an oculus rift and put them in a Justin beiber concert!
This, ten times this.

CAPTCHA : Out of Sorts > Think we all are :(