Plants vs. Zombies 2: It's About Time Coming Next Month

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Plants vs. Zombies 2: It's About Time Coming Next Month

Plants vs. Zombies 2: It's About Time will launch in July as a free-to-play game exclusively for iOS devices.

EA's PopCap Games has finally shone some light on the long-awaited sequel to the mega-hit tower defense game Plants vs. Zombies, and some of what's been revealed may come as a surprise. It will be a free-to-play title, "designed from the ground up as a live service" as the PopCap press release put it, and the "indeterminate number of platforms" teased [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123784-Plants-vs-Zombies-2-Invading-Lawns-This-Summer] last month has been reduced to iOS-exclusivity.

Plants vs. Zombies 2: It's About Time will feature new plants, zombies and other features, including power-ups that allow players to "interact" with zombies directly, and thanks to the magic of time-travel will take place on lawns set in both the past and the future. PopCap says the game will be updated on an ongoing basis with new content and game mechanics. The "vast majority" of the game will be available at no cost, but dedicated fans will be able to purchase upgrades and in-game items as they desire.

"We're confident that players will see the love and attention we've put into this game," Senior Producer Allen Murray said. "We've created wild new ways to experience the plants and zombies you know and love as well as packing the game with tons of completely new content."

Plants vs. Zombies 2: It's About Time launches on July 18 for the iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch.

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
I will bet any money you like* that this will miss everything about the first game that made it wonderful. In the context of this story, time travel makes no sense at all. The beauty of the first game was its elegance and the clever use of the plant theme. Adding a time travel mechanic is just... well, meh.

The only thing that was wrong with the first game was that it was a little easy; it could have done with a few more difficult levels and achievements. But story-wise it was beautifully tight and well-told. Oh, and free-to-play gives me cold shivers.

So - I'd be happy to be proved wrong but...

[small]*Actually, probably not *any* money you like. 50p maybe[/small]

Wuvlycuddles

Oct 29, 2009
Fantastic, don't own an IOS device so that's one PvZ fan left out in the cold. Also, EA + F2P? I'm sure that will be well implemented.

Shadowsetzer

Jul 15, 2010
Wuvlycuddles said:
Fantastic, don't own an IOS device so that's one PvZ fan left out in the cold. Also, EA + F2P? I'm sure that will be well implemented.
Pretty much this. Hopefully it'll get ported to every platform in existence later like the first one was...

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
The vast majority of the game will be free. So, the maps, plot, Zombies and interface will be free, but if you want to place plants on said levels that will cost you money? This is EA after all.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Yep, fans' worst nightmare came true. EA and Popcap can both tout all they want that this is a decision made by Popcap themselves, I refuse to believe a word of it. I have absolutely no faith left in EA. As far as I'm concerned, they really DO ruin everything they get their grubby paws on.

saregos

the undying
Jul 7, 2009
What. The. HELL.

I didn't think it was possible for my love of PopCap to turn into disdain and hatred quite that quickly.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
It's funny how many companies owned by EA all seem to be adopting similar crappy models in their sequels (that didn't have those models before), and all claim or otherwise act as if it has nothing to do with EA and it was their own decisions that lead to it.

Pretty bizarre coincidence really.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
So we had a nice PC-centric developer who made nice little casual games for the PC and was very popular and successful... And then EA happened.

Looks like they want to get that award three years in a row. Unlike EA, we won't disappoint.

Sartan0

Apr 5, 2010
This is exactly what I thought they would do. Good thing I had all ready written this game off. Now I have no room to feel disappointed.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
I'll reset the '## days since EA did something dumb' sign shall I?

Fortunately I don't have any iOS devices so even if I forgot that Popcap was infected by EA I won't be buying it. Oh right, it's free to play... well I won't be paying for those 'power ups', half of the levels and dog-like plants that break the game.

MisterColeman

Mar 19, 2009
Hit game on PC > Hit game on Xbox Live > Hit game on iOS > Sequel iOS Only.

Wow they have a good memory >.>

I'm not too upset though because it looks like they took a dump on the IP in the screenshots.

I'm not a lost sale because I don't have iOS but if they give in to the campaign I'm sure somebody is already starting and port it later I'm still not buying this.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Are you fucking joking?

Great. Just great. One of my favorite game's sequels is now completely out of my reach.

They better smarten up and eventually release it.

That's so shitty of them. You'd think even EA would know better. What the fuck.

5ilver

Aug 25, 2010
Well, this is a kick in the shins :/

Oh well, at least I can still replay the first part as much as I want.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
Well fuck you, too Popcap! I bought the first one three times for three different platforms because I loved it so much and now you're going to shit all over that? :mad: