Harmonix Teases Imminent Game Announcement

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Harmonix Teases Imminent Game Announcement

Harmonix is apparently going to reveal a new game tomorrow.

In a recent Twitter post, Rock Band creator Harmonix offered the following coy remark:

Harmonix is announcing a new game tomorrow (it's not @RockBand or @Dance_Central). Stay tuned for the exciting news!

Normally I hate reporting on these sorts of stories, as that single sub-140 character text blurb is the entirety of the news here. Harmonix is going to announce a new game tomorrow. There. You are now informed. Congratulations.

However, if this game is linked to neither the Rock Band nor Dance Central franchises, we're baffled as to what it might possibly be. Harmonix has always been a development house whose games are built around music, so it just stands to reason that this new mystery game will also heavily feature popular tunes in some capacity. But if Harmonix has already covered faux bands and faux dance competitions, then how else could the firm build a videogame devoted to music?

Now, this is a long shot, and is probably not at all what Harmonix has in mind, but since the gaming industry is currently stuck in an unending miasma of "old is new again," it makes a lot of sense to think that Harmonix might create a new entry in its Frequency/Amplitude franchise. Granted, I'm a massive fan of these titles, so this is probably just wishful thinking, but the relatively recent Rock Band Blitz was quite obviously based on the gameplay seen in the two aforementioned titles, so why wouldn't Harmonix continue down that road for a new game?

Truth is, the company probably has a whole new franchise to show us tomorrow and we aren't likely to guess its identity until they come out and just tell us what they're talking about. Expect a full report tomorrow, whenever Harmonix opts to spill the musical fruit.

Source: Twitter [https://twitter.com/Harmonix/status/341630797318606848]

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
Kinect Rock Band

Calling it.

What else are they going to make? Something good?
I call Pop Band.

Or an adaptation of "The Voice". And thus I will have to go on that killing spree I've been contemplating.

Hopefully it's "Metal Hero" and features nothing but the best classic metal and rock.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
SkarKrow said:
Hopefully it's "Metal Hero" and features nothing but the best classic metal and rock.
I want this. A set-list comprised of Metal Gods and King Rockers would suit me just fine.....

We can dream right? We can dream :')

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
vrbtny said:
SkarKrow said:
I want this. A set-list comprised of Metal Gods and King Rockers would suit me just fine.....

Dude I just drank a beer with Iron Maiden on the label, called "Trooper". I have photos to prove it!

And yes, it would be epic, we can dream, but the oversaturate shitty pop industry demands that our dreams fall :(
But we have Alestorm, and Amon Amarth, and Korpiklaani, fuck the mainstream.

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
A real-instrument music game, to compete with Rocksmith (and, maybe, if it's out someday, Bandfuse)? I think it's unlikely, but it would be awesome to have such a game with all the music Rock Band already has licensed.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
SkarKrow said:
vrbtny said:
SkarKrow said:

Dude I just drank a beer with Iron Maiden on the label, called "Trooper". I have photos to prove it!

And yes, it would be epic, we can dream, but the oversaturate shitty pop industry demands that our dreams fall :(
*I peak out from underneath a pile of Fightstar, Thousand Foot Crutch, Plan Three, Ashes Remain, Rise Against, Judas Priest and Megadeth Albums.... and of course Every Good Iron Maiden Album*

My man! I need to try some of that trooper beer sometime! I saw it on Iron Maiden's facebook page, can't find the damn stuff anywhere!

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
vrbtny said:
SkarKrow said:
vrbtny said:
SkarKrow said:

*I peak out from underneath a pile of Fightstar, Thousand Foot Crutch, Plan Three, Ashes Remain, Rise Against, Judas Priest and Megadeth Albums.... and of course Every Good Iron Maiden Album*

My man! I need to try some of that trooper beer sometime! I saw it on Iron Maiden's facebook page, can't find the damn stuff anywhere!
I just bought Trooper from Morrisons and understand me here, I am a beer enthusiast, I love my beer and have high standards, it's description is misleading, it alludes to an acidic and citric brew, and I sampled it and it came over as sweet and malty, my favourite kind of beer. It tasted of beer and not of chewing on grapefruit. I recommend it. If you're in the UK I know that Morrisons sells it, it's on 3 for £4.50 witha tonne of other beer. If you send me a PM I'll recommend a few to go with it.

I adore Fightstar, or at least their second album, Paint Your Target was me and my first boyfriends song :3 As for the rest.... meh, excepting of course JUDAS MOTHERFUCKING PRIEST.

The rest don't quite suit my tastes, I did like Rise Against but those guys are complete fucking arseholes and I can't in good conscience support them, Megadeth is okay but the recent albums have been poor. Judas Priest are gods among men, particularly Painkiller and Screaming For Vengeance.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
SkarKrow said:
HOLY SHIT SOMEONE WHO KNOWS WHO FIGHTSTAR IS!?!?!!?
I didn't know anyone else had heard them >.> Grand Unification is my fav album to be honest, but that is more because of Mono... Greatest song, with Paint Your Target be...... amazing for a angry mood.

Oh hell, not enough space here for all the stuff we need to talk about.
TO THE PM!!!

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Hmm. Harmonix. Owned by EA. 'Mobile is the future'. Rhythm games... Who knows? We can be sure it will have microtransactions and will either be an iOS exclusive or on the Xbone.

Maybe it is 'Artistic Differences Band', where you split up from your band because of -you guessed it- artistic differences. You then enter a spiral of drug abuse and unfulfilling one night stands. The game will have compelling choices that determine where you die alone in a gutter, splattered with your own vomit whilst a dog licks the back of your hand faithfully waiting for you to return to consciousness despite your inevitably doom *deep breath* or you get back with the band decades later for a comeback tour. Plus the mass effect colour filters of course (such choice!).

Kinitawowi

Nov 21, 2012
For the record, Rock Band is a large part of why I'm sort of glad the XBone is going to be lacking backwards compatability. The logistics of relicensing and reacquiring all that DLC would be horrendous. (But then rhythm gaming is a very 360-generation thing anyway.)

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
Kinitawowi said:
For the record, Rock Band is a large part of why I'm sort of glad the XBone is going to be lacking backwards compatability. The logistics of relicensing and reacquiring all that DLC would be horrendous. (But then rhythm gaming is a very 360-generation thing anyway.)
Pfft you think these would actually carry over? How many free mp3 downloads did you get when you upgraded from the CDs you used to own? The recording industry is all about having us repurchase music we own.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
I'd love a new Frequency game.

But I'm going to go way out on a limb in the dark and say this won;t even be a music themed gamed at all.

TIMESWORDSMAN

Wishes he had fewer cap letters.
Mar 7, 2008
BREAKING NEWS:
Games Company to Make Game.

Actually, I hate rhythm games, mostly because I have rhythm but it doesn't translate very well to a plastic guitar, which is frustrating. That aside, any game made by Harmonix, a company that specializes in rhythm games, is probably a rhythm game, and therefore is gonna have to shine forth like a new beacon of hope in market where rhythm games are even more samey than sports games, so it might have some redeeming quality.

RobotDinosaur

Feb 27, 2012
This might be what they're announcing: http://www.joystiq.com/2013/06/04/harmonix-and-disney-delve-into-fantasia-music-evolved-for-kin/#continued
Not super impressed, since I'm not a fan of the XBox or Kinect, there's no actual gameplay footage, and it looks mostly like random arm flailing right now. But credit to Harmonix for a game that looks like it gives you at least limited ability to create/direct the song, rather than just mimicking an existing one.