CDC's Gun Violence Research Probes Videogame Link

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
CDC's Gun Violence Research Probes Videogame Link

The Institute of Medicine, at the request of the Centers for Disease Control, is preparing to launch a new round of research into the influence of videogames and other media on gun violence.

In January, U.S. President Barack Obama directed [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121551-President-Obama-Asks-for-Research-Into-Game-Violence] the Centers for Disease Control to look into ways to reduce gun violence, and called on Congress to "fund research into the effects that violent videogames have on young minds." To that end, the CDC has asked the Institute for Medicine and the National Research Council to "convene a committee tasked with developing a potential research agenda that focuses on the causes of, possible interventions to, and strategies to minimize the burden of firearm-related violence."

It's a marvelously bureaucratic approach that covers a lot of ground, as explained in the "Priorities for Research to Reduce the Threat of Firearm-Related Violence" report brief released yesterday. The plan is to look into such things as firearm-related violence as a public health issue, risk and protective factors, the impact of gun safety technology and, of course, the influence of videogames and other media.

"While the vast majority of research on the effects of violence in media has focused on violence portrayed in television and movies, more recent research has expanded to include music, videogames, social media and the Internet - outlets that consume more and more of young people's days," the brief states. "However, in more than 50 years of research, no study has focused on firearm violence as a specific outcome of violence in media. As a result, a direct relationship between violence in media and real-life firearm violence has not been established and will require additional research."

Previous studies have examined the link between videogames and violent behavior in general (and have both found and not found a connection, depending on who you ask), so the specificity of this research is unusual and interesting. It's also necessary; an appalling 105,000 people were injured or killed in firearm-related incidents in the U.S. in 2010 alone, according to the brief, which I would say is a powerful sign that it's time to lock this issue down once and for all and then get on with actually dealing with the problem.

Source: Institute of Medicine [http://www.iom.edu/Reports/2013/Priorities-for-Research-to-Reduce-the-Threat-of-Firearm-Related-Violence/Report-Brief060513.aspx?page=1]

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Back in the 30's and 40's research proved violence was caused by comic books.
In the 50's it was proven to be rock and roll.
In the 60's and 70's it was LSD and Weed.
In the 80's it was heavy metal.
In the 90's it was rap and goth music.
Now it's proven to be video games.

Amazing how popular interests a majority of youth enjoy, and the previous generations don't, are "proven" to be something different every decade or two as an explination for a problem that always existed.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Nurb said:

Amazing how popular interests a majority of youth enjoy, and the previous generations don't, are "proven" to be something different every decade or two as an explination for a problem that always existed.
You are wrong on all those points.

You failed to mention that these studies also concluded that they were tools used by the devil to lead the children astray from god and corrupt their immortal souls to such impure thoughts as homosexuality, rebellious attitudes towards parents, murdering others and drug use.

You also forgot to mention that research proved D&D was secretly teaching your children Black Magic spells and Devil Worship!

I honestly think that at some point we just need to round up all of the old people and just give them a continent of their own. Like Australia or something where they can nag and complain to each other without us noticing.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
I know I've been saying EA is poison for years, but this is a bit much. Really the CDC?

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
105'000!? As in one every five minutes?! Wow.

It's an interesting brief, but with all these things how do they get from the abstraction of media to the action of reality? That's the tricky bit, it's not like being high, drunk or having a huge brain tumor where the effect is obvious and usually traumatic, it's subtle at most.

As interesting as the study sounds, it seems like the typical ignoring of the elephant in the room, what causes gun violence? People with guns...

ColaWarVeteran

Jul 27, 2010
1337mokro said:
You also forgot to mention that research proved D&D was secretly teaching your children Black Magic spells and Devil Worship!
Well, it would have but I could never afford all the material components for my spells. It was hard to come by large amounts of powdered ruby on my allowance.

RaNDM G

Apr 28, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
It's also necessary; an appalling 105,000 people were injured or killed in firearm-related incidents in the U.S. in 2010 alone, according to the brief, which I would say is a powerful sign that it's time to lock this issue down once and for all and then get on with actually dealing with the problem.
Let's put that into context. The real count for firearm related deaths in 2010 is 31,672, and sixty percent of those deaths were suicides. The trend is suicide going up, homicide going down.

Source: Deaths: Final Data for 2010.

Quantum Glass

Mar 19, 2013
I get that this sort of thing is necessary, but I can't help but laugh at the fact that investigating the potential entertainment/homicide link is a, "priority." I'm reminded of the autism/vaccine scare, but at least in that case there was some uncertainty.

1337mokro said:
To be fair, that was mostly due to the Catholic Church, and recent evidence seems to indicate that they mostly don't like it due to it being a form of birth control.

bravetoaster

Oct 7, 2009
RaNDM G said:
Andy Chalk said:
It's also necessary; an appalling 105,000 people were injured or killed in firearm-related incidents in the U.S. in 2010 alone, according to the brief, which I would say is a powerful sign that it's time to lock this issue down once and for all and then get on with actually dealing with the problem.
That's a fabrication. The real death count was 31,672, and sixty percent of those deaths were suicides.

The real trend is suicides going up, homicides going down. But anti-gun freaks want to make you think firearms are the bane of our existence.

Here's the CDC report. Next time I suggest you do some actual research rather than posting some bullshit number.
If you read the text you quoted, you'd see that it says "105,000 injured or killed".

DVS BSTrD said:
I'm sorry but I have long since ceased to care what any of these "studies" conclude.
That's the cool thing about science and reality--it is what it is, regardless of whether you care about it or not. It's sad that much of the gaming community seems to be against any research that is of pretty obvious relevance.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Researchers are always trying to find a scapegoat, this time it's gaming. Not exactly convincing now isn't it? Pointing finger's at something diffirent every damn year.

DrRockor

Jun 24, 2008
I don't think there any real connection between media and violence. I thinks it much more likely that people who are already prone to violent behaviour are attracted to violent media rather than the media causing the violent behaviour personally. I do on the other hand think that studies should be done on the areas of the influences of media on behaviour occasionally, even if its just to reiterate the point that theres little relation or to debunk a previous theory.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
1337mokro said:
Nurb said:

You are wrong on all those points.

You failed to mention that these studies also concluded that they were tools used by the devil to lead the children astray from god and corrupt their immortal souls to such impure thoughts as homosexuality, rebellious attitudes towards parents, murdering others and drug use.

I honestly think that at some point we just need to round up all of the old people and just give them a continent of their own. Like Australia or something where they can nag and complain to each other without us noticing.
I think you may have misread what he was saying. He simply pointed out that when the older members of a society aim to find something they don't like to contribute to a social problem, they always do... essentially that they "prove" it but not really.

Haha, also, what you are saying is remarkably close to an old science fiction series called Logan's Run. It's some crazy future where people live inside these domed utopias, but as soon as a member of said society reaches the age of 30, they are sent to a place for them... which means they are secretly executed.

OT: It will be years before anything comes of this. Putting together a committee is the first in a long series of steps that bureaucracies go through in order to solve a problem. It's more than likely this will never ever amount to anything, so everyone should just stop pretending like this is going to reach some sort of conclusion. It's just naive to think so. It's also jumping the gun to report on it at this point. It could be months before that committee's members are finally decided on.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
Speaking as somebody from a country lucky enough to get rid of that shit as soon as possible, I have been playing violent video games my whole life and i've never felt an incentive to get a gun. Even paintball sounds like a real pain in the ass.

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
So maybe they should study what kinds of effects there would be on gun violence if they confiscated all guns and made them illegal.
How many victims of gun violence would there be if there were no guns?

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Rex Dark said:
So maybe they should study what kinds of effects there would be on gun violence if they confiscated all guns and made them illegal.
Don't be daft, clearly then the government would be able to shoot everyone and impose their facist-communist-theocratic-obama-muslim government on us because loyal American civilian-patriots wouldn't be armed to stop them anymore!

Guns are a constitutional right and that makes them just as important as freedom of speech! If we don't have our guns it means our freedom of speech means nothing as well! And other circular logic!

I just hope they find the relationship between poverty and crime is directly proportionate to gun crimes. I also hope they do not consider suicide to be a "crime".

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Rex Dark said:
Do not be absurd, why bother doing anything about the real guns when you can focus attention on the pixel guns instead?