First CoD: Ghosts In-Game Footage Shows Dog Gameplay

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
First CoD: Ghosts In-Game Footage Shows Dog Gameplay

The two gameplay clips show off an "underwater mission", as well as how the "dog levels" will play out.

In Call of Duty: Ghosts you will play as a dog [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124750-Call-of-Duty-Ghosts-Will-Let-You-Play-as-the-Dog]. Not all the time, mind you, this is a Call of Duty game after all, so you will mostly play as burly US Marine #34 and shoot Russians/Arabs. But nonetheless, there will be some gameplay segments where you control Riley, the game's furriest marine. Activision has just released two clips that show us both burly and furry gameplay segments, and offer a bit of insight into how the "dog levels" will play.

Unfortunately, for those of us hoping Riley will have explosives strapped to his back [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-tank_dog] (as if PETA would ever let that one through...), or will shoot bees from his mouth when he barks, we are in for a bit of a disappointment, as the video reveals his role is more surveillance than combat.

When it the situation does call for some teeth-meets-neck action however, Riley is more than up to the challenge, with the video showing Riley sinking his canines into terrorist flesh several times. At one point in the video, Riley's menacing entrance is so terrifying that it causes four grown men to run in fear.

How the dog is able to interpret complex orders through an earpiece is anyone's guess. Perhaps there's an English-to-dog translator strapped on there as well?

The burly marine video [http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=OeyO-i_Gz7U] shows off an "underwater mission", with a surprisingly small amount of gunfire and explosions for a Call of Duty level. It admittedly looks quite cool, although it appears to be largely "on-rails" and painfully linear.

Source: YouTube [http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0SteRupicVM]

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
I have to admit, as overpriced as it is, the CoD single player campaigns still look cool as hell. I haven't played one since MW2 but maybe it's about time I gave another one a try. I might buy Ghosts when it comes out for PS4 and PC.

The dog gameplay looks fairly okay. Like they added a half-way decent stealth element to the game. And the way it flushed those terrorists out of that house was pretty amusing too.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Yea, the only reason that dog exists is so it'll die at the end of the game. Or perhaps in a twist, the dog WON'T die, and instead the player character will die, and we'll get to see the dog heartbroken at the sight of it's master dead.

I hope the dog can be controlled with the Kinect for that realistic immersion. Maybe we'll also get an achievement for shitting on the rug.

Kapitan_Jack

Aug 13, 2009
You know, I have noticed that some of these "in-game" trailers have very specific, smooth motion of the camera that I am unable to reproduce with a mouse or controller. It is hard to describe, instead have a look at the infamous BioShock Infinite trailer [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBIpUEjFFHA], I hope you will notice what I mean.
I think this is not "in-game" footage, but instead a carefully crafted on-rails demo created specifically for the production of this trailer.

purf

Nov 29, 2010
Looks really pretty. And pretty dumb.
So the gameplay has finally become following and watching, occasionally interrupted by being told to press the firebutton. And TWD gets questioned whether it is a "game"...

dragongit said:
Maybe we'll also get an achievement for shitting on the rug.
nice one :D

Kapitan_Jack said:
I think this is not "in-game" footage, but instead a carefully crafted on-rails demo
By now, there's really not much of a difference. You can bet your ass that the game makes you look at the crumbling church exactly like this.

Robot Number V

May 15, 2012
Steven Bogos said:
although it appears to be largely "on-rails" and painfully linear.
Hey, come on now. Linearity is not an inherently bad thing. Bioshock Infinite was linear. The Walking Dead game linear. Both Portals, Journey, the entire Half Life series, Spec Ops: The Line...All linear. Call of Duty isn't bad because it's linear. It's bad because it's utterly predictable and lacks any kind of real innovation or depth.

In fact, I just realized something...The dog is totally just their latest attempt to "shock" people. Don't get me wrong, I realized it was going to die a tragic death the minute they introduced it, but I'm just now realizing how that fits in with the rest of the series up to this point. Ever since they struck gold with the whole "nuke" sequence in COD4, they've been trying to replicate the process in a way we won't see coming. The fact that they thought having a fucking DOG wouldn't somehow tip us off....Is actually almost sad. I mean, I haven't bought a Call of Duty game in years, but I have played through the campaign of each one (My dad plays shooters very casually and usually buys each new Call of Duty, though even he didn't get all the way through Blops 2. I'm bringing it up so I don't get a warning for piracy) and...Well, I've always got the sense that the developers WERE actually trying to make a good game. It's just that their philosophy of what makes a game good is so....misguided. I really do feel kind of sorry for them.

I mean, of COURSE you control it, right? Wouldn't be a Call of Duty game without a "surprise" scripted player death.

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
rhizhim said:
first off, that damn dog gave away our position with barking and second, what up with american building standards?
everytime something happens random vegetation retakes half of the city? thats a sign of lazy work morale and bad quality. tsss, tsss....
I think the game is going under the logic that a dog barking is ignored. I was excited for this but god does it look linear as hell.

let me just say that I NEVER get excited for a cod game.

Anathrax

Jan 14, 2013
Robot Number V said:
I mean, of COURSE you control it, right? Wouldn't be a Call of Duty game without a "surprise" scripted player death.
Here's the thing though, if they want to shock people they just shouldn't make a surprise. No OMG DED KID, no "Doggie! Noooo" and no I assplode this country/planet/building/city. Nothing. It'd be a much better twist than trying to go OH DA FEEELS.

Mar 19, 2010
I am sorry but this does not look cool. Quite the contrary it looks ridiculous. Just listening to the dialogue makes me cringe. Awful like the other CoD games definitely not worth the asking price even if it would cost 99 cents.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Fuckin' next-gen guys. Looks and plays exactly the same as every other fucking game.

I know it's not finished and I know the video quality was bad but jesus it doesn't even have the decency to look halfway decent.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
It's a new gen with an entirely new engine (or so they claim) and it looks identical to the last fucking game, just shinier.

And the dog sections make absolutely no goddamn sense. How on earth are they giving orders to the dog? How the hell does he understand them and how the hell does he know stealth tactics?

And I'm sorry but I can't take someone saying 'Good boy, Riley!' in that gravely, grimdark voice even remotely seriously. I usually like the COD campaigns as they're a bit of bombastic, stupid, popcorn muching fun, but this is too stupid even for this series.

GonvilleBromhead

Dec 19, 2010
I think is official that CoD has run out of ideas that are both good and novel - the "modern" warfare concept has run out of steam, much like WWII did a generation ago.

C'mon, mix it up. It's nearly 100 years, so why not make a WWI game? Or an Anglo-Zulu war game. Or the Second Opium War. The Afridi and Red Shirt Rebellion, perhaps? The Gordon Relief Expedition could be interesting.

Seriously, plenty of opportunities to do some interesting "spunkgargleweewee".

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
While I have to applaud them for being unique, and trying something different with the dog, It still looks pretty fucking boring. The dog's a 1 hit kill? Seeing the guy on the roof makes me think "Man, this is gonna be tough!" but the human characters take him out, and nobody's none the wiser?

Interesting ideas... But its COD. for it's business model, it's incapable of doing challenge.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Steven Bogos said:
It admittedly looks quite cool, although it appears to be largely "on-rails" and painfully linear.
Isnt that just like every COD game? In fact, this looks just like evey other post-COD4 COD game. So much for next gen graphics...

InsanityRequiem

Nov 9, 2009
So we have a destroyed, random California city and the soldiers were speaking (to me that is) spanish. Did Mexico invade the US through the Southwest states? Those looked like actual troops, with actual government equipment instead of Middle Eastern Terrorist men. Those orange outfits were radiation suits, so was random California city nuked as well?

Roboterik

Jun 15, 2011
This dog is going to die. Probably saving someone from a fire or something. Dudes will be all like "NOOOOoooo" in their gravely war voices, and then sweeping horn music will start playing and you will have to fight a huge group of Russians or Koreans or whatever this game has. Maybe both. Probably even some Nazi's to help drive the point home. Call of Airbud: Bark ops is going to be a very emotional game.

Johnson McGee

Nov 16, 2009
pfff. Dogs are so MW3, I'm waiting for the ability to play as a ship-scouting dolphin or minesweeping rat (both real by-the-way).

Just kidding, I was never going to play another COD game at all.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Robot Number V said:
Steven Bogos said:
although it appears to be largely "on-rails" and painfully linear.
Hey, come on now. Linearity is not an inherently bad thing. Bioshock Infinite was linear. The Walking Dead game linear. Both Portals, Journey, the entire Half Life series, Spec Ops: The Line...All linear. Call of Duty isn't bad because it's linear. It's bad because it's utterly predictable and lacks any kind of real innovation or depth.

In fact, I just realized something...The dog is totally just their latest attempt to "shock" people. Don't get me wrong, I realized it was going to die a tragic death the minute they introduced it, but I'm just now realizing how that fits in with the rest of the series up to this point. Ever since they struck gold with the whole "nuke" sequence in COD4, they've been trying to replicate the process in a way we won't see coming. The fact that they thought having a fucking DOG wouldn't somehow tip us off....Is actually almost sad. I mean, I haven't bought a Call of Duty game in years, but I have played through the campaign of each one (My dad plays shooters very casually and usually buys each new Call of Duty, though even he didn't get all the way through Blops 2. I'm bringing it up so I don't get a warning for piracy) and...Well, I've always got the sense that the developers WERE actually trying to make a good game. It's just that their philosophy of what makes a game good is so....misguided. I really do feel kind of sorry for them.

I had the same thought and that's why I won't get ghost, one thing that I don't like to see is an animal being killed (especially in concerning ways, it's one thing for it to be the end of a story of the dogs life, its another to be a 'for shock' value, I consider that offensive and disgusting).

Captcha: no brainer - indeed it is, CoD has lost any ability to surprise us.