Sony's Not Ready For User-Made Videos

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Sony's Not Ready For User-Made Videos

Yahtzee wonders exactly what Sony is promising with its "capture gameplay footage" feature for the Playstation 4

Read Full Article

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
Well, think a few of his PS4 arguments were pretty much countered yesterday.

I highly disagreed with Nintendo's hijacking of revenue, especially because Game Grumps is one of my favourite YouTube channels at the moment, and I don't want them losing money because Nintendo is being a dick about things.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
There are some games that have had this functionality on consoles for years (Halo's the best example I can think of). I have never heard of them running into any big issues in regards to game play footage and the like. In all honesty, most people are just going to use it for multiplayer replays anyway, so I doubt the average gamer is going to pay it much attention. It's cool for those who want to use it, but so far it's not looking like they'll be shoving it down our throats or anything.

piclemaniscool

Dec 19, 2008
Fappy said:
There are some games that have had this functionality on consoles for years (Halo's the best example I can think of). I have never heard of them running into any big issues in regards to game play footage and the like. In all honesty, most people are just going to use it for multiplayer replays anyway, so I doubt the average gamer is going to pay it much attention. It's cool for those who want to use it, but so far it's not looking like they'll be shoving it down our throats or anything.
That sounds about right. It all comes full circle with the whole, "you don't HAVE to" argument Yahtzee himself stated. Sure, you CAN do it, but most people aren't going to go out of their ways to record Let's Plays just because it's there.

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
Clearly the LP is free advertising for Nintendo, or anyone, is false. If it were advertising it would spur on sales. Do you see Nintendo getting a big sales boost from LP? There is a good argument to be made that the LP that shows you the entire game puts a negative effect on game sales since you no longer have incentive to get the game.

Nintendo is at least taking the less evil route. You get to use their game footage however you please, but you can't make money off of it. It'll decrease the pirates that show you the entire game as a "movie", and people who have something neat to show everyone can get to show everyone.

As for Sony's option to let people record games I'm concerned for other reasons. Recording take a lot of processing power from the card. It's a feature that will work in the short term, but if games start using all the power of the processor then attempting to record a game will turn it into rubbish quickly.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Don't worry Yahtzee.
I have a feeling this is going to be one of those features that will either be taken away (for security reasons of course, to protect you) or just not get updated to do anything interesting. They always say a lot of stuff about a bunch of crazy features when a new piece of hardware is about to launch and these features tend to be forgotten about soon enough or only supported by a handful of games.

MooShoo

Jun 11, 2013
"you don't have to get anything, guys."

Indeed. I have a PS2 and X360 and I am pretty sure I am just going to skip this generation of consoles and turn my focus on PC for a while.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
medv4380 said:
Clearly the LP is free advertising for Nintendo, or anyone, is false. If it were advertising it would spur on sales. Do you see Nintendo getting a big sales boost from LP? There is a good argument to be made that the LP that shows you the entire game puts a negative effect on game sales since you no longer have incentive to get the game.

Nintendo is at least taking the less evil route. You get to use their game footage however you please, but you can't make money off of it. It'll decrease the pirates that show you the entire game as a "movie", and people who have something neat to show everyone can get to show everyone.

As for Sony's option to let people record games I'm concerned for other reasons. Recording take a lot of processing power from the card. It's a feature that will work in the short term, but if games start using all the power of the processor then attempting to record a game will turn it into rubbish quickly.
Bull crap. You buy video games to play them. I've seen one of my friends play through the whole metal gear series (the ps2 ones anyway) several times and it looked fun so I bought it later for ps3. If watching a game is enough to experience its content, then the developer clearly wasn't doing their job. Besides, why did I watch my friend play through the series instead of doing it myself? Because it was fun to hang out and joke and talk. If he gave me a recording of the whole game on vhs I wouldn't have touched that thing because the enjoyable part was experiencing the games with him. Its the same thing for let's players. I watch game grumps play through 8 different Mario Party games not because "I want to experience Mario Party's content and judge whether or not to buy it" but because egorapter and jontron freaking hilarious

Also: It'll decrease the pirates that show you the entire game as a "movie"

What is this even supposed to mean? Are you implying that I can't show a game to my friends unless they bought a copy? Do literally see these people as "pirates"?

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
PoolCleaningRobot said:
medv4380 said:
I've seen one of my friends play through the whole metal gear series (the ps2 ones anyway) several times and it looked fun so I bought it later for ps3.
And Why didn't you buy it for the PS2? Because you already watched it a half dozen times. You proved my point.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
medv4380 said:
PoolCleaningRobot said:
medv4380 said:
I've seen one of my friends play through the whole metal gear series (the ps2 ones anyway) several times and it looked fun so I bought it later for ps3.
And Why didn't you buy it for the PS2? Because you already watched it a half dozen times. You proved my point.
Because I was
A) 10 years old and my mom didn't let me play M rated games
B) I had a gamecube instead of a ps2
C) I didn't have no money

Got any other excuses?

Mahoshonen

Jul 28, 2008
medv4380 said:
PoolCleaningRobot said:
medv4380 said:
Okay, first you chery pick his post, and second you ignore his overall point: He never would have bought into the MGS series at all if he hadn't seen those LPs. There are plenty of games that I bought after seeing an LP of them. You are being willfully dense.

And let's take your argument further: by your logic, Nintendo loses sales every time someone goes over to someone's house and sees him playing a videogame. That is obviously not the case, my own personal experience and the experience of my peers confirms this behavior.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
MooShoo said:
"you don't have to get anything, guys."

Indeed. I have a PS2 and X360 and I am pretty sure I am just going to skip this generation of consoles and turn my focus on PC for a while.
Totally agreed, nothing about the next console generation has me stoked and while everyone is clapping each other on the back and laughing at how Sony rules and MS drools, I am just thinking. The PS4 STILL looks shit. Everyone was shitting on the PS4 on reveal and saying they were holding out for the now unfolded xbone. Now that the xbone is the runt of the litter, all of a sudden wii-u and ps4 are looking great.

So congrats guys, we have successfully lowered our standards.

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
I think Yahtzee is way off base on this one. First of all this functionality is NOT meant for the people with Youtube channels you are already doing amazing work putting up LP videos and reviews and commentary. This is going to be for the people who either don't know how to do capture video and edit it and upload it or who don't want to take the time or buy the equipment necessary to do that. They just want to upload a 10 second clip of some awesome kill they go, or some funny bug.

Second, just because Nintendo has claimed all Nintendo game related Youtube ad content does not mean Sony will. Sony could have done this right after Nintendo did, since they have not lets wait to jump all over them until they actually do, what do you say?

Your real beef seems to be with Nintendo so why is Sony's name in the title of your article? If Sony screws up this video sharing thing then lets talk about it, but I see no reason to fear any of the things you are talking about. Anyone will still be able to hook up a DVR to the PS4 and capture video the old fashioned way.

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
medv4380 said:
PoolCleaningRobot said:
medv4380 said:
I am sorry but that is just too stupid. You think someone wouldn't buy a game because they had WATCHED it several times? There are several games I have ONLY bought because I watched them online. Your logic is soooo flawed. Do you play games?

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
Amir Kondori said:
medv4380 said:
PoolCleaningRobot said:
medv4380 said:
I am sorry but that is just too stupid. You think someone wouldn't buy a game because they had WATCHED it several times? There are several games I have ONLY bought because I watched them online. Your logic is soooo flawed. Do you play games?
I'm sorry but your logic is completely missing. I have a wife who's a gamer who doesn't want to watch me play certain games because seeing the story played out removes the incentive to actually play the game herself. You're going to need to have better logic then a simple ad hom if you want to prove your point.

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
medv4380 said:
Amir Kondori said:
medv4380 said:
PoolCleaningRobot said:
medv4380 said:
I'm sorry but your logic is completely missing. I have a wife who's a gamer who doesn't want to watch me play certain games because seeing the story played out removes the incentive to actually play the game herself. You're going to need to have better logic then a simple ad hom if you want to prove your point.
No, you realize your argument is weak and so focused on only the barely ad hominem instead of the real argument. Which is that I have bought several games, like Minecraft, Waking Earth, and others only after seeing them played on Youtube yet I have never decided not to purchase a game because I had already seen it on Youtube. I will grant you that a very, very few games can be "ruined" by watching the whole thing through but nearly all games are enjoyed through playing them, not watching them. It is the defining difference between games and movies or TV. This seems so obvious to me. Do you really believe that is not true or do have some other axe to grind?

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I think the premise that if you want to WIN you have to stop gaming is incredibly depressing. And true. I mean what if you didn't want to get in on the Wii/360/PS3 generation? You're screwed. They stopped making games for the older generations. I fear that Sony/Microsoft will simply make is impossible to skip this generation. Like, what if a year or two after Xbox One release, they shut down the 360 servers? Either you buy an Xbox one or don't play anymore.
Its depressing that our choices are either stop having fun by NOT playing, or stop having fun by continuing to play...

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
As Yahtzee stated in his video about Next Gen Consoles they're basically campaigning like they're politicians. And that in a sense is part of the problem. In either subject you're going to have similar responses & reactions.

Politics
1: Who did you vote for?
2: No one as I realized I don't have any real choice in the election.
1: Oh then clearly my opinion matters more than yours since I vote.
Gaming
A: Which console are you buying.
B: None as none of the console appeal to me.
A: Then clearly you're not as much of a gamer as I.

Politics
1: I voted for Ralph Nader!
2: Congrats on wasting your vote.
Gaming
A: I'm buying a PC for Gaming!
B: Congrats on wasting your money on a dying industry.

Politics
Mitt Romney is an out of touch Plutocrat.
Gaming
Xbox One is out of touch console that can only serve the rich.

-

All of that aside though Yahtzee has now convinced me that if the Share Button can be used on PS Home I'll still be using PS Home. I'll have my Female Kitty in Pixelated Pants. The Videos will be called "Raving For Pussycat!"

Warning
If anyone were to have interest in Raving for my Female Kitty bear in mind the following.
1) I'm a Guy In Real Life.
2) If you just turned Homophobic over a Female Avatar being controlled by a Guy this isn't for you at all.
3) I'm NOT looking for Real Life friendship so don't try to get too personal with me. I've already had those issues in the past where said people would eventually ignore me or move on to better things.
4) I may end up as a Male Khajiit in TESO so this might not happen at all so don't look forward to this possibility because it most likely won't happen.