PopCap Announces Plants Vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare

Leahbjackson

Apr 15, 2013
PopCap Announces Plants Vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare

Popcap is making a third person shooter tower defense version of Plants vs. Zombies.

Electronic Arts opened their 2013 press conference this year with a look at Plants Vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare. The game is a tower-defense style adventure.

Producer Brian Lindley took the stage and demoed the 4-player co-op survival mode. The mode allows players to use different plants from the original Plants Vs. Zombies, like a Peashooter, to defend a garden. Some plants are ranged, while others use melee attacks. The Sunflower for example, can heal as well as spit seeds like a machine gun at her enemies.

[gallery=1543]

Plants Vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare is coming first to the Xbox One and shortly after will make its debut on the Xbox 360.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Of course EA made Plants Vz. Zombies into a shooter. It only makes sense. [/sarcasm]

Namechangeday

Aug 13, 2012
You mean... this isn't some elaborate joke people made after they announced buying PopCap games?
/sigh

Well, at least this isn't a Modern Warfare ripoff (I'll show myself out.)

Allspice

Mar 1, 2011
Wha...are you serious? Ugh...I guess getting a real sequel to PvZ was too much to hope for. ::sigh::

EDIT: Wait...it says it's a "tower defense style adventure" and they demoed one of the multiplayer modes. There may be hope for this yet. /wants to believe
Pfft, yeah right. It's probably just some shooter that has no actual relation to the original game.

Not Lord Atkin

I'm dead inside.
Oct 25, 2008
I don't know what terrifies me more. That plants vs zombies is now a coop shooter or that it actually looks good.

Andrew_C

Mar 1, 2011
What the fuck, EA?

Just so this isn't a low content post enjoy this fine video of Picard facepalming

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
PvZ 2 should be out at the end of this month/next month, but it's only going to be on Ipads etc. I have an Ipad, and I will try it. Hopefully it will eventually come out for other platforms though. I don't see any reason why they would restrict it to Ipads only. Perhaps it's to avoid piracy? I really don't know...but I think it's a silly move.

I did not know that EA bought Popcap. Why....why do they have to ruin everything? Popcap ruled....my wife loves tons of their games.....Someone need to blow up EA's headquarters before this spreads too far.

mateushac

Apr 4, 2010
How does EA manage to turn everything it touches into crap? These days I don't even bother trying their games anymore, I just keep hoping they don't get hold of my favorite IP (god forbid they ever pick up Sam & Max, Monkey Island, Age of Empires o something).

Best of the 3

Oct 9, 2010
While this has (understandably) gained quite the backlash, I'll give it a chance. It seems to hold the same PvZ humour and charm for the most part. I'll wait and see before I make any choices.

That being said if it's a CoD knock off with plants I'll be livid.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Ohhhhhhhhh. So this is why they needed PopCap to use the Frostbite engine.

...That's a really bad reason.

I feel a strange urge to start a Kickstarter to buy George Fan, like, all the drinks.

odddem007

Nov 8, 2011
I watched the gameplay video and I think it looks pretty fun. I would definitely buy this day one. It reminds me a little of Trenched (Iron Brigade), which I think is an amazing tower defense/shooter hybrid. I am a big fan of tower defense and plants vs zombies, so I will be buying it. Of course I will get it for xbox 360. I am not buying the XBOX One. My pre-order is already in for the ps4. I just hope that Star Wars Battlefront is not an exclusive for XBOX ONE or I will be forced to buy it.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
You know, things like this make me think that EA knows exactly what it's doing, what it's doing is trolling us.

In this case all I can say is, well played EA, well played.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
I actually think this could be quite good if it's done right.

Now we have the fact that EA is pulling the shots here counting against them. Well, it could still work if they just let the guy who made the original do his thing. Oh right, they fired him.

I loved the first one so much. It's a shame EA had to buy out PopCap and ruin yet another company.

Theflyingass

Sep 10, 2008
Its Dungeon Defenders in the PvZ universe. Its just a fun arcade spinoff. PvZ2 still exists, so the world isn't ending because they dared to make a something a little different...

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
God damn there's a lot of cynicism about this. As if the original Plants vs Zombies was some masterpiece, fully fleshed out, franchise-defining game. No, it was a casual game that had a lot of character. What's wrong with porting some of that character over to a different genre? I could see it being like an Orcs Must Die kind of game, and that series turned out pretty good.