Destiny Gameplay Debut Brings Out the Big Guns

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Destiny Gameplay Debut Brings Out the Big Guns

Lock, load, and loot - and don't forget to bring a friend.

Bungie has built up a serious hype train for its upcoming massively multiplayer shooter-RPG hybrid Destiny, and Sony's E3 press conference marked the first time we've been able to see its gameplay for ourselves. What begins as a two-man mission ends in a bombastic skirmish with dozens of players who drop in to help take down a towering... well, I'm getting ahead of myself. Take a look at the video for yourself if you want to see what the Bungie chefs have been cooking.

The early segments taste strongly of Borderlands, as the two players leading the demo take on several aliens in a futuristic factory before comparing loot from the mission's end boss. It's hard to say where the balance lies between shooter and MMORPG here, but the combat looks suitably visceral and the gear/skills screen appeared to have some respectable depth. The teamwork takes the cake, though - the players in the demo stumble onto a "public event" and soon find themselves joining a handful of other player-controlled fireteams in a difficult group quest. Given the quality of the moment-to-moment shooting, it's almost surprising to be reminded that this really is an MMO.

A follow-up story trailer makes it clear that all this combat won't be meaningless, and the context looks interesting - for an MMO, if nothing else. Sony also mentioned a "long-term exclusive partnership" with Bungie and Activision, so expect the PlayStation versions to receive some additional content when Destiny launches on PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, and Xbox One (and possibly PC [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124337-Destiny-May-Appear-On-PC-Says-Bungie]).

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
That looks gorgeous. :eek:
Nice and colorful and I LOVE that atmosphere, and the music too. Very superb.
But...an MMO. WHY did it need to be an MMO?
: c

Ah still, it's gotten me quite a bit more interested.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Okay.
Call me optimistic.
But that.
Looks.
AMAZING.

piinyouri said:
That looks gorgeous. :eek:
Nice and colorful and I LOVE that atmosphere, and the music too. Very superb.
But...an MMO. WHY did it need to be an MMO?
: c

Ah still, it's gotten me quite a bit more interested.
There's no reason why it being an MMO will guarantee it's a bad thing. I hardly looks like a traditional MMO anyway, so it could be the new big thing that kicks the genre in the butt and moves it forward.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I wasn't a huge Borderlands fan, but I think I can really get behind this game. Looks fucking fun.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
There are still numerous little kinks from the last two generations that still need to be ironed out. The three most disconcerting are a claustrophobic sense of knowing that you can only go so far off the beaten path, especially in that interior section. Dear God, I hope I am wrong on that one. Next up is the fact that water still looks static and lifeless as ever. I am not asking for hardware accelerated fluid dynamics, just physically correct surface geometry distortion and textures. Lastly the animations did not transition well at the aforementioned water scene when the character dropped into the pond (one among several examples) and the return of weapons teleporting into your hands.

Little things I thought would have been ironed out long ago.

Then again, they still have time but I prefer not to get my hopes up.

Keneth

Oct 14, 2011
I'm fairly optimistic about this one. Bungie's got a reputation for solid shooter mechanics. Feels a lot like Borderlands. Which is good thing. Love that game.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Looks pretty fun from what I've seen. Environments are cool, though could be a little more interesting at points. Boss looked fun. Definitely going to look into it at the very least.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
Can I play this online when I do NOT subscribe to PSN+?

With Xbox 360 this is possible. You only need an a free silver account to play MMOs such as FFXI online.
Of course you will need to subscribe to the MMO. But thats exactly the point.

I may be interested in Destiny but I'm not interested in PSN+. Can I subscribe (in case it is P2P) to Destiny while I do not subscribe to PSN+?

Edit: Captcha: Describe "Mtn Dew" with any words: FUCK YOU!

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
So far it seems that PSN+ is needed for Multiplayer functions. But the question is if this game is pay to play MMORPG or just a online game. The way they use the term is hard to tell. Borderlands you could play solo online or have someone drop into your game. Still solo, just instanced online game. I'm guessing everyone is doing their own thing until the events kick in.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Ishigami said:
Can I play this online when I do NOT subscribe to PSN+?

With Xbox 360 this is possible. You only need an a free silver account to play MMOs such as FFXI online.
Of course you will need to subscribe to the MMO. But thats exactly the point.

I may be interested in Destiny but I'm not interested in PSN+. Can I subscribe (in case it is P2P) to Destiny while I do not subscribe to PSN+?

Edit: Captcha: Describe "Mtn Dew" with any words: FUCK YOU!
First off, I believe you needed Gold for most games to be played online like FPS and so on and so forth. Second, FFXI was a subscription based MMO, which was 15 dollars a month to play. Maybe it was excused because you already had to pay for it. 5 dollars a month for PS+ is an awful lot less then the subscription then your standard MMO. Servers probably cost more to upkeep these days and Sony can't afford to let it go free. Maybe they too will make exceptions with some games but really. It could be worse.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Fappy said:
I wasn't a huge Borderlands fan, but I think I can really get behind this game. Looks fucking fun.
Yeah, it's like a more serious Borderlands that can have more players in it, I can totally get in to that.

Darmy647

Sep 28, 2012
chozo_hybrid said:
Fappy said:
Yeah, it's like a more serious Borderlands that can have more players in it, I can totally get in to that.
I...dont know about a more serious borderlands. Maybe a much more detailed and better told story, but borderlands can be very serious in some situations in the story.

As for this game, it looks like killzone and borderlands had a late night quickie, and this is its offspring. Im actually ok with it. Ill certainly give it a go.

For the people saying this looks like halo...please...for jesus christs sake, look at who MADE it. See that? Bungie? DID YOU FORGET THIS WAS THE TEAM BEHIND HALO? If halo revolutionised so well...how are people forgetting who made it...fuck.

Commerford

Aug 21, 2011
Looks really good, certainly going to get it, just don't know which console I will be playing it on.

I wouldn't say this is like a serious Borderlands, this should destroy Borderlands. I'm not saying they're competing but this is next gen and I'd guess they had over twice the funding and the better team to work with. It should be like a Premier team versus a League One team.

But it still falls into the same traps all MMOs do, 'you'll be a legend' and all that nonsense, if a couple million people are doing the exact same thing, it's not very legendary is it. I just hope there is a good, well told story, solid gameplay, and hundreds of hours of replayability.

Off Topic. I'm really excited for Borderlands 3 now. (not announced that I know of, but i'm sure there will be one.)

flaviok79

Feb 22, 2011
It looks great, but it SOUNDS really better. The amazing Bungie trademark score it's what kick their shooters up several notches. If only Halo 4 had a Bungie score, wouldn't be so mediocre.

Ham Blitz

May 28, 2009
First, I have to start by saying of all the gameplay demonstrations for E3, those guys seemed to be the most amusing to watch play with their commentary.
On a second note, that game looks awesome, and I now really want it.
On a third note, it seems like a ton of MMO shooters are now being announced for the next coming year or two and I have to admit I like it.

Timmey

May 29, 2010
Ham Blitz said:
First, I have to start by saying of all the gameplay demonstrations for E3, those guys seemed to be the most amusing to watch play with their commentary.
On a second note, that game looks awesome, and I now really want it.
On a third note, it seems like a ton of MMO shooters are now being announced for the next coming year or two and I have to admit I like it.
I agree I thought they were really funny. I also agree that its a good thing this new gen is embracing MMO shooters, it seems a natural progression from 32 player lobbies to more open combat.

Texas Joker 52

All hail the Pun Meister!
Jun 25, 2011
If thats representative of actual final gameplay, I'm sold. Wrap it up, take my money, I want it. I want it so bad.

The guns look great, the game looks gorgeous overall, and it seems like it'll be fun to play with others, or alone. And I do believe I heard the dulcet tones of Bill Nighy. I am so fucking excited!