Mad Max Goes Open World in 2014

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Mad Max Goes Open World in 2014

The Road Warrior - they man they called Max - is finally getting his very own videogame.

It's kind of odd, when you think about it, that Mad Max has provided one of the most common templates for the post-apocalyptic look, and yet Max himself has gone almost completely ignored by videogames. But that will change in 2014 when Warner Bros. Interactive rolls out Mad Max, an open-world third-person action game in which "cars are the key to survival."

Developed by Avalanche Studios, the team behind Just Cause and Renegade Ops, Mad Max will put players behind the wheels of Frankenstein machines roaring across The Wasteland, a scarred desert crawling with gangs of vicious bandits. Only those mobile enough to scavenge, or brutal enough to pillage, will survive to collect the supplies they need to build "the ultimate combat vehicle."

"The Wasteland lends itself incredibly well to the high level of player freedom with which Avalanche Studios has become synonymous," Avalanche co-founder Christofer Sundberg said. "This unforgiving environment inspired us to create a gritty and diverse experience where driving, fighting and scavenging are essential for survival."

I'm a pretty big fan of Mad Max - I've often daydreamed of painting "PURSUIT" across the back of my car - but I'm not sure how I feel about this. I love the idea of a Mad Max game (although I would've preferred it set in the timeline of the original movie rather than The Road Warrior era) but I think the great likelihood is that it'll fall short of expectations, especially since this launch trailer, save for the appearance of the Interceptor, is utterly generic post-apocalyptica.

Still, fingers crossed that they don't blow it up - since that really would, after all, be a shame. Mad Max is slated to come out in 2014 for the Xbox 360, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4 and PC. To find out more, hit up MadMaxGame.com [http://www.madmaxgame.com/en/].

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
What with the new Mad Max film seemingly around the corner, I'm guessing this is just a movie tie-in.

SamtheDeathclaw

Aug 8, 2009
So far this just sounds like Rage all over again.
Seriously, folks, cars in post-apocalyptic open-world games do not work that well, that I've ever seen.
Fingers crossed, though, because man oh man, I do love me some Road Warrior. But I'm not getting my hopes up.

knight steel

Jul 6, 2009
YES FINALLY A GAME THAT SET IN MY COUNTRY OF AUSTRALIA HELL YEAH :D

Mad Max better have an Australian voice actor or at the very least a very good Australian accent copycat else I'm going to be mighty pissed off mate.

I also hope they throw some references of Australian culture and the like in as well,nothing major but just something so people know hey this is Australia >_<.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
The current gen screwed everything up, the next generation will make it all worse. I think you're going to be disappointment

Chimichanga

Jun 27, 2009
I loved the Mad Max series (except for fuckin' Thunderdome), but I have a really, really bad feeling about this. First, it's made by WB - so it reeks of a movie tie-in cash-grab. Second, everything is either grey, black, or dust colored - it tells me that aside from being a tie-in, they're going to be as cliche as possible to ape already stagnant trends in AAA gaming.

Yeah, I'm getting the impression that this will be so generic that it won't even blip on the radar.

mechalynx

Führer of the Sausage People
Mar 23, 2008
Haha! Finally revealed. I was among the pre-alpha testers for this one. It's been killing me not to tell people.

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
Wait... I've already played the first two Mad Max games. Are they trying to announce Borderlands 3?

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
knight steel said:
YES FINALLY A GAME THAT SET IN MY COUNTRY OF AUSTRALIA HELL YEAH :D

Mad Max better have an Australian voice actor or at the very least a very good Australian accent copycat else I'm going to be mighty pissed off mate.

I also hope they throw some references of Australian culture and the like in as well,nothing major but just something so people know hey this is Australia >_<.
That was my first thought too, finally not just another USA simulator, better yet set in my own country about bloody time.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
knight steel said:
This may come as a surprise to you but a lot of North Americans have never heard the original Mad Max voices.

(In case you've never seen the dubbed version.)

And in all honesty, the dubbing is actually quite good. I actually prefer the Night Rider's dubbed voice.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Uhh...I don't know. My little boy heart has been hurt too many times by games based off movies. Besides, we already have tons and tons of games based off post-apocalyptic scenarios, both with cars and without cars (Depending what direction this new game goes) like Borderlands, Rage, I am Alive, Fallout, and even Jak 3. Now it's just gonna look like a rip off.

Still, I might check it out only cause, ya know, Mad Max. I hope there's a demo or something for this...

tardcore

Jan 15, 2011
Great. So here they go corpse raping yet another of my cherished teenaged film franchises. Can we get something NEW for fucking once PLEASE!?

knight steel

Jul 6, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
knight steel said:
This may come as a surprise to you but a lot of North Americans have never heard the original Mad Max voices.

(In case you've never seen the dubbed version.)

And in all honesty, the dubbing is actually quite good. I actually prefer the Night Rider's dubbed voice.
Blasphemy-Lies-Begone Heretic and never show your face again T_T
How dare-HOW DARE- America do this-to be so racist and discriminatory against us Aussies after everything we have done for you-does our Alliance mean nothing?!?
This is grounds to declare war with you-WAR YOU HEAR ME >_<