Pokemon X and Y Add Sky Battles, Horde Encounters, Fairy Type

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Pokemon X and Y Add Sky Battles, Horde Encounters, Fairy Type

A wealth of new information has surfaced on the new Pokemon games, including the game's official launch date of October 12th.

Sky Battles, Horde Encounters and the new Fairy type are just some of the features fans can look forward to in the latest installment of the long running Pokemon series of videogames. Also new is the Player Search System for multiplayer gaming, the Pokemon-Amie "play-with-your-Pokemon" feature, the ability to choose between seven different languages, no matter which region you buy the game in, and of course a boatload of new Pokemon.

Sky Battles are special flying-type only aerial battles, while the Horde Encounters pit a single one of your Pokemon against an entire horde of wild foes. The new Fairy type is the first new type to be introduced to the games in 10 years, and applies to the new Eevee evolution: Sylveon, as well as retroactively applying to fairy-like Pokemon such as Clefairy and Jigglypuff. Fairy-type moves are super effective against Dragon-type Pokemon.

The Player Search System (PPS) allows you to find other people playing Pokemon X and Y, either via the Internet or locally. It looks like it will work quite similar to the Friends and Rivals multiplayer system of Mario Kart 7.

The Pokemon-Amie feature is basically Nintendogs but for Pokemon. You'll be able to give your Pokemon treats, and even scratch and pet them using the system's touch screen. Playing with your Pokemon makes them friendlier, which makes them perform better in battle.

[gallery=1561]

The Pokemon Company has also released more information on some of the ride like a mount [http://www.pokemonxy.com/en-au/pokemon/other_pokemon/].

Lastly, as if the simultaneous world-wide release date of October 12th wasn't already enough to make cross-region gamers happy, players will be able to choose between seven different languages (English, Japanese, Korean, Spanish, French, German, or Italian) no matter which region's version of the game they own. It should be noted that once you select a language, you won't be able to change it again during gameplay.

Source: Pokemon Official Website [http://www.pokemonxy.com/en-au/whats_new/]

Dec 14, 2009
Citizen Snips!

I choose you!

I'm getting a 3DS soon, methinks this will be the first Pokemone game I've gotten since Soul Silver :D

Dominic Crossman

Apr 15, 2013
Just read comment on Facebook, wigglytuff will be super effective against dragons. I refuse to believe it. Made me laugh.

I may be getting a second hand 3ds just for this, I wish I could play pokemon on my ps3

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Everything's looking pretty good, I'm excited for this.

Just the fact that it's a simultaneous release globally is neat.

Also Horde Encounters sound pretty fun too :D

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
I'm looking forward to the new additions. Black and White didn't feel like they added a lot to the game for me but X and Y seem like they will keep me entertained for a while. Especially horde mode and re-organising a team to beat down Lance and Claire.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
I was worried but those new Pokemans look pretty damn good, I mean... freaking TALONFLAME, badass starting bird right there! I like when they keep the designs simple.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
Imagine if they didn't tell us Noivern's type, there would be so much sound type speculation.
Not too excited about Pokedogs though I'll be stoked when it helps me increase happiness levels for evolution.
I like the idea of hoard battles. Makes it feel more like an actual universe with actual inhabitants this way.
[sub][sub]Now I can knock out entire family's of pokemon! Muhahaha![/sub][/sub]

I'm also really interested in those avatars, I hope we can customize them to that degree.
Fighting yourself just doesn't feel right.

LordMonty

Badgerlord
Jul 2, 2008
Damn I need a 3ds, only thing I play on my DSi is pokemon, guess I'll finally get Champions of Ruin as well.

Fractral

Tentacle God
Feb 28, 2012
Shinsei-J said:
I'm also really interested in those avatars, I hope we can customize them to that degree.
As far as I know you pick between 3 different body types for each gender- dark skin, fair skin brown hair and fair skin blonde hair, and can customize clothing throughout the game. I think the avatars are similar to the system in the old games where you picked a trainer type to appear as in the wifi areas, such as ace trainer or scientist.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
well i havnt actually brought a pokemon game since Colosseum on the gamecube but i may be picking up a 3ds soon so il give it a shot

Shinsei-J

Apr 28, 2011
Fractral said:
As far as I know you pick between 3 different body types for each gender- dark skin, fair skin brown hair and fair skin blonde hair, and can customize clothing throughout the game.
Oh cool!
I didn't know about that. (or I'd completely forgotten, I wouldn't put it past me)
I wonder If there are any plain haircut changes just like some of those avatars have?
I think the avatars are similar to the system in the old games where you picked a trainer type to appear as in the wifi areas, such as ace trainer or scientist.
I hope not.
I don't see why they wouldn't just use the trainer you've already made and customized.
Every asset that creates him is on their cartridge too, it'd just a matter of transferring another value which would be smaller than a single pokemon. I'll be very disappointed if they do just as you said.

Fractral

Tentacle God
Feb 28, 2012
Shinsei-J said:
Fractral said:
As far as I know you pick between 3 different body types for each gender- dark skin, fair skin brown hair and fair skin blonde hair, and can customize clothing throughout the game.
Oh cool!
I didn't know about that. (or I'd completely forgotten, I wouldn't put it past me)
I wonder If there are any plain haircut changes just like some of those avatars have?
I think the avatars are similar to the system in the old games where you picked a trainer type to appear as in the wifi areas, such as ace trainer or scientist.
I hope not.
I don't see why they wouldn't just use the trainer you've already made and customized.
Every asset that creates him is on their cartridge too, it'd just a matter of transferring another value which would be smaller than a single pokemon. I'll be very disappointed if they do just as you said.
This is just conjecture and what I know from what Game Freak have announced. I'd really like to be able to customize hair and the rest but I haven't heard anything about it. Looking at those avatars more closely it seems like you may be right though- one of them even has purple hair.

Shinsei-J

Apr 28, 2011
Fractral said:
This is just conjecture and what I know from what Game Freak have announced. I'd really like to be able to customize hair and the rest but I haven't heard anything about it. Looking at those avatars more closely it seems like you may be right though- one of them even has purple hair.
Ah-ha, you see that purple haired one is the one that make me doubt my theory the most.
But yeah, mine's just speculation and this is all just based on an image with a lack of information and my limited knowledge of game design so I'm not expecting to be wholly correct at all, I just wouldn't really understand why not.

Johnson McGee

Nov 16, 2009
Yes, many neat trinkets. I still haven't heard a whisper about the two things I really want from this game: A.I. trainers that aren't brain dead and a new game+ mode.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Looks like the sky battles also apply to pokemon with levitate as well.

I do wonder what happens when gravity is used in one of those matches. >_>

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
I like all these new features, hopefully they will fix the GTS if they bring it back, I don't want to see anyone asking for a level 9 and under Yveltal or Xerneas in X and Y.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Fractral said:
Shinsei-J said:
As far as I know you pick between 3 different body types for each gender- dark skin, fair skin brown hair and fair skin blonde hair, and can customize clothing throughout the game. I think the avatars are similar to the system in the old games where you picked a trainer type to appear as in the wifi areas, such as ace trainer or scientist.
from what I saw, the roster screen for multiplayer shows the headshot of the custom trainer, so I don't think they'll be leaning on that this time...

AdamG3691

Nov 18, 2009
Dominic Crossman said:
Just read comment on Facebook, wigglytuff will be super effective against dragons. I refuse to believe it. Made me laugh.

I may be getting a second hand 3ds just for this, I wish I could play pokemon on my ps3
have you never played pokemon mystery dungeon: explorers of time/darkness?

wigglytuff is super effective against everything... YOOM TAH!

anyway, the type matchups do make sense, dragons die in fairytales, fairies/fey are stopped by iron, and the poison weakness is a metaphor for the continuing corruption of our childhood (ok fine, it's because fairies probably wouldn't enjoy being covered in industrial sludge, garbage, and smog, so it's a studio ghibli style "magic/nature vs technology" thing)