Microsoft Executive Replies To Xbox One Negativity

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Microsoft Executive Replies To Xbox One Negativity

"This isn't a sprint", said the hare to the tortoise.

"We always knew that our story would play out over time," says Phil Spencer, corporate VP of Microsoft Studios, in response to Xbox One backlash. "And even now, I would say, this isn't a sprint." He went on to claim that new, as yet unannounced content would persuade consumers to shell out the extra $100 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124815-PS4-Will-Not-Block-Used-Games-or-Require-an-Online-Connection] to buy an Xbone, rather than a PS4.

"The reaction, I think, is complete when the product is on the shelf and it has a price and it has a content library and consumers vote," Spencer added, "and that's the date I'm looking forward to." November 2013 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escapist-news-now/7460-Xbox-One-Price-And-New-Games] will be when we find out whether Spencer has a point, but as things stand right now, a promise of new content on its own may not be compelling. Moreover the Xbox One has a price, and it's a high price when compared to its closest competitor.

The consumers will definitely vote, but whether or not this will result in something Spencer - and Microsoft - likes the look of is still up for decision.

Source: Gamespot [http://au.gamespot.com/e3/microsoft-responds-to-xbox-one-backlash-this-isnt-a-sprint-6409849/]

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
I've already preordered mine, and shortly after that the preorders were sold out at my gamestop. The guy there mentioned that 5 or 6 other stores were also sold out. I am happy that I am getting one, and I am happy that I am going to be playing Elder Scrolls. :)

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
So instead of dealing with the problems that consumers have with Microsoft and the Xbox One, they are going to stick their heads in the sand and claim everything is a-ok until November?

Dec 14, 2009
'This isn't a race'

A race for what?

Who can fuck the consumer over more? Because I think Microsoft has won that already.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
Riff Moonraker said:
I've already preordered mine, and shortly after that the preorders were sold out at my gamestop. The guy there mentioned that 5 or 6 other stores were also sold out. I am happy that I am getting one, and I am happy that I am going to be playing Elder Scrolls. :)
...please, please, PLEASE tell me you're joking.

OT: Well, at least they're not just saying "deal with it" this time.

Simon1

Feb 14, 2010
...You do realize that the general reaction to your console even after E3 (Which you claimed would change people's minds) is overwhelmingly negative, right? As in, you promoted the PS4 better than Sony ever could negative.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Gearhead mk2 said:
Riff Moonraker said:

He probably isn't. It was marketed as a CoD and Battlefield machine. So take a guess who exactly it was that ordered all those XBox Ones. That's right, it's foulmouthed li'l Timmy's mum from two doors down.

hutchy27

Jan 7, 2011
Gearhead mk2 said:
Riff Moonraker said:

I'm hoping they are joking or it means people bought Microsoft's crap about it is worth it, trust us. Just buy the console, I'm certain there will be something you enjoy if you just give us like £500.

9thRequiem

Sep 21, 2010
With all the other comments from Microsoft Execs recently, I cringe when I read a title like that. They really can't afford to be so blasé about any negativity at any stage, and there's a volcano of rage erupting right in their faces.

Then again, I've got mine pre-ordered, so what do I know?

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
It's as if he has folded his arms stroppily, stuck his bottom lip out and said "Well it's not finished yet!"

Dominic Crossman

Apr 15, 2013
We've got amazing content that we haven't announced yet which will change your mind
Hmm... where have I heard that b4, oh yeah before E3, where said awesome was suposed to be announced.
I think it is just stalling for time while they scramble around for a macguffin.

Edit:
Vivi22 said:
Karloff said:
He went on to claim that new, as yet unannounced content would persuade consumers to shell out the extra $100 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124815-PS4-Will-Not-Block-Used-Games-or-Require-an-Online-Connection] to buy an Xbone, rather than a PS4.
Bull fucking shit.
Exactly what I meant in 3 words, bravo sir/madam, bravo.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
VanQ said:
He probably isn't. It was marketed as a CoD and Battlefield machine. So take a guess who exactly it was that ordered all those XBox Ones. That's right, it's foulmouthed li'l Timmy's mum from two doors down.
I knew the Xbone was marketed to that particualr kind of fratboy who does nothing at all and is yet somehow incredibly rich, but I didn't expect there to be so many of them.

chiefohara

Sep 4, 2009
Whats interesting here is whats not being said.

Considering the response to the DRM and used games fiasco microsoft (especially after the PS4 E3 conference) is going to have a few serious quiet meetings and see what/if they can roll back on certain things before november.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Karloff said:
He went on to claim that new, as yet unannounced content would persuade consumers to shell out the extra $100 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124815-PS4-Will-Not-Block-Used-Games-or-Require-an-Online-Connection] to buy an Xbone, rather than a PS4.
Bull fucking shit.

If such content existed and was really enough to overcome people's very valid complaints about this system then they wouldn't be keeping it under wraps. They got curb stomped by Sony a few days ago and now they're trying to convince people it's no big deal and they'll show that it's worth the money eventually. Talk about your marketing horse feathers.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Microsoft thinks it's still teasing us. I reality it's already blown it's load, thrown-up on our backs and passed out on the floor with it's pants around it's ankles. All thats left is to take a shower and go through it's wallet for the bus fare to Sony's house.
Wow... Dat analogy.

I honestly doubt whatever they got will win over many extra purchases outside of the people who have already decided on buying one. As for playing the long game... no I don't see it. Is this like your Zunes long term strategy?

Captcha: slippery slope. Well it isn't a logical fallacy... but MS are definitely slipping.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Hey hey now. No reason to be hating. MS just has a firm commitment to their core audience of drunken stupid people. And they are counting on them to come through for them...
Like they did for Windows 8...
And the Surface...

Oh man, Balmer is soon gonna be out of a job.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Dude... you're being steamrolled in the PR department...

Though maybe this actually is their best, it's not directly insulting the potential consumers.