Metal Gear Solid V to Feature Episodic Missions

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Metal Gear Solid V to Feature Episodic Missions

Players will be able to choose the order in which they play story missions.

Metal Gear Solid games tend to be fairly point A to point B in their structure. You might have a few cursory choices on how you bypass individual obstacles, but the story has a set path and the game is going to do everything it can to get you there. With Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, however, series creator Hideo Kojima hopes to shake things up. Some of this will come in the form of fresh and diverse gameplay options to give gamers more ways to play. Additionally, however, Kojima hopes to give players more choice in how they experience the game's story.

"Think of past Metal Gears as like movies, you just move along and really enjoy the ride," said Kojima, speaking at an E3 roundtable. "And think of Metal Gear Solid 5 as a TV series." Each mission in the game will be like a separate episode with a self-contained story. "You can play any mission, any episode at any time. But ultimately when you play all of them and get to the core of the story, everyone will get the same viewpoint [of the story.]" Kojima and company hope the looser story structure, coupled with the gameplay's tilt toward open world mechanics will give players a Metal Gear experience that is fresh, fun and modern. "Creating that kind of freedom [for the player], I think that's the future of games."

Source: <a href=http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/13/4427428/hideo-kojima-metal-gear-solid-5-episodic-e3>Polygon

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
That seems kinda dumb.
Like, imagine if you could play The Walking Dead episode 4 first. "Well, those characters are missing, I guess they kicked it." In a series that really relies on stories and has been going on for so long getting those extra spoilers because you got stuck on a bit and skipped chapter seems like a real bad idea.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
hazabaza1 said:
That seems kinda dumb.
Like, imagine if you could play The Walking Dead episode 4 first. "Well, those characters are missing, I guess they kicked it." In a series that really relies on stories and has been going on for so long getting those extra spoilers because you got stuck on a bit and skipped chapter seems like a real bad idea.
Wrong TV series. Kojima is likely taking about TV series like maybe... IDK, Castle, Bones, Angel... TV shows that have a connection of characters, locations, and such, but which have a different plot for each episode, with the occasional few episodes that are inter-connected.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Anyone know the lore for this game? Which snake is it and when is it set? I've seen the horses but also some stuff which looks slightly hightech so I'm confused.

Osaka117

Feb 20, 2011
That sounds nice, but I think I'll still try to play in chronological order as much as I can, MGS storylines are hard enough to follow as it is without going in and out of the story at random intervals.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
kajinking said:
Anyone know the lore for this game? Which snake is it and when is it set? I've seen the horses but also some stuff which looks slightly hightech so I'm confused.
It's Naked Snake (Big Boss), and I think it's a bit before he goes all "Screw you United States! I'm making my own country! With cardboard boxes, and sexy spies from China!.....If fact, forget the Country, and sexy spies!"

Silver Patriot

Aug 9, 2008
StewShearer said:
"Think of past Metal Gears as like movies,"
I imagine most people won't find that very hard. That seems to be the go to joke for the series.

OT: It sound similar to faction missions in other open world games. At least that is what I first thought of. Seems interesting.

kajinking said:
It is set after Peace Walker but before MG1. You will be playing as Big Boss.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
It sounds interesting, but then I remembered it's a Metal Gear Solid game and the story will make bugger all sense regardless of the order you play through it. Seems like the perfect fit really.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Osaka117 said:
That sounds nice, but I think I'll still try to play in chronological order as much as I can, MGS storylines are hard enough to follow as it is without going in and out of the story at random intervals.
I don't think you'll be able to mess up the order THAT much. They just mean as you go through the story you'll have some missions to do before you can move on in the "main" story, and you can pick the order you want to do them in. Kind of like in Assassin's Creed, or the Sly Cooper games. I don't think their going to let you say go off and fight the last boss, and then do everything else.

This style isn't new, but it hasn't been used in a metal gear game yet. :) Should be cool.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
*sob* It's beautiful...

I worry for narrative cohesion, but it can work. It's just a matter of whether they pulled it off or not.

Although I must confess my sin of faith in Kojima, when I first saw this article's title I thought it meant you'd have to pay to continue missions. Forgive me Koji-sama.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Hmmmm interested in how this will play out

Might work since this game looks like Big Boss will conduct different war operations and slowly create a mass army

satsugaikaze

Feb 26, 2011
Probably just a follow-through from the way Peace Walker is structured (which was structured on purpose that way simply because of the limitations of the PSP having to load an entire zone at once)

keiji_Maeda

May 9, 2012
kajinking said:
Post peace walker. Before metal gear the original game. A counter organization named Xof (yes, really, Fox inverted) assaults the oil platform that Naked snake and miller constructed during peace walker, and the Boss winds up in a coma for a few years, the game then follows his quest for who did what to him and for what reason.

Expect: quirky bosses, hidden agendas, overt plot twist.

What i believe will happen:Kaz will grow dissillusioned with Big bos growing ambitions, we will follow big boss handling his loss of his arm and showing that no matter if you're handicapped or not, a badass is a badass and PTSD seems to have an even stronger focus that before.

keiji_Maeda

May 9, 2012
Somebody Named Alpha protocol, the really NEAT thing about that game was that it really generated the feeling that your actions in the previous missions affected the missions you were one.

I hope that the actions you take in the different missions will affect the outcome/structure of other missions, generating a feeling of active cohesion. Of course that could be done with several loose plotlines slowly weaved into one. Something Kojima is notoriously good at doing.

Overall, super-excited!

ScruffyMcBalls

Apr 16, 2012
Umm, am I the only one that played the Metal Gear games because they were the way they were? I kinda liked them because they were very distinct and did things in their own way. As everyone is saying, this is starting to look more and more like... every other game on the market. And the voices sound like every other cast from every other game on the market.
I never thought I'd say this, but from what I've seen, Metal Gear is becoming... Generic...

I could have been behind changes, it's how we prevent a series getting stale, but Kojima is changing far too much in one go. I hope it doesn't happen, but I think Metal Gear is at risk of losing its identity. The changes he made to arrive at Peace Walker is about the appropriate pace, but while that was a light jog of progress this feels like a sprint.

wolf thing

Nov 18, 2009
kajinking said:
this big boss (naked snake) who is solid snakes father, MGS 3 took place in the 1960s so this will take place latter than then, from what i have heard around the 80s or 90s

wolf thing

Nov 18, 2009
ScruffyMcBalls said:
Umm, am I the only one that played the Metal Gear games because they were the way they were? I kinda liked them because they were very distinct and did things in their own way. As everyone is saying, this is starting to look more and more like... every other game on the market. And the voices sound like every other cast from every other game on the market.
I never thought I'd say this, but from what I've seen, Metal Gear is becoming... Generic...

I could have been behind changes, it's how we prevent a series getting stale, but Kojima is changing far too much in one go. I hope it doesn't happen, but I think Metal Gear is at risk of losing its identity. The changes he made to arrive at Peace Walker is about the appropriate pace, but while that was a light jog of progress this feels like a sprint.
well we havent seen much of the game so far, so there could be some crazyness to come. also from what i have heard MGS 4 wasnt suppose to happened but when it did the game play and style was had to mimic the older game to round of the narritve and such. if i were to put money i would guess this is the direction kojima has wanted to take the game for a while know. and since the game is know part of a different series so to speak i think the change are fine, i like differnt take on similer settings and characters. as much as i like MSGs game play its the story and characters which kept me play and i like open world game which is why im interesting in this but if open world game are something you dont like you my not get into it.

also to cut the "its brown" argument before it starts, its in the middle east so it would make sense and may help the tone of the game, but if that is the only seenary we see then yeah it will get old.

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Didn't that fail miserably on Alone in the Dark?

Can't see someone actually paying attention to it...