Apocalaughs

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Apocalaughs

MovieBob takes a look at the comedian-filled comedy This is the End

Read Full Article

paronomasiac

Nov 15, 2010
Bob, you said it better than I ever could. This is the End was raunchy, debauched, sacrilegious, crude, and managed to be one of the greatest comedies I have ever seen.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
How good is it if I am barely familiar with the source material? The last comedies I have seen and enjoyed this generation are "40 Years Old Virgin" and "The Hangover I", so I don't think I would get a reference to "The Pineapple Express"...

walruss

Feb 11, 2013
My brother and I, on seeing the commercials for this:
"It looks like it would be awful, but I think we need to give it a chance anyway."

Are we psychic? Maybe.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Hmm, it looked like a dull movie from the trailers; disaster movie, the apocalypse, a comedy...

By all accounts, it should suck ass. But hearing that the cast isnt acting as normal people, but as themselves... now that sounds quite funny.

Gonna have to give this one a look.

MowDownJoe

Apr 8, 2009
The Great JT said:
Frankly I'm just amazed they let Michael Cera act again.
You really shouldn't put all your Annes in that basket.

(Seriously, have you seen season 4 of Arrested Development?)

paronomasiac

Nov 15, 2010
hermes200 said:
How good is it if I am barely familiar with the source material? The last comedies I have seen and enjoyed this generation are "40 Years Old Virgin" and "The Hangover I", so I don't think I would get a reference to "The Pineapple Express"...
I tried watching Pineapple Express and turned it off after 10 minutes. This is the End isn't built on references, and even the Pineapple Express scene requires no previous knowledge.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
I actually had high hopes for this one. It looked like it did that thing of "party gone wrong" actually well instead of that crap fest that is The Hangover.

I like most of the actors in it anyway so that probably helped

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Would it it still be funny if I don't know who half those people are and have only the vaguest idea about the rest?

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
This seems like a movie geared towards people who watch a lot of movies and have intimate knowledge of the stars' usual screen personas. In other words, people like Bob.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
MowDownJoe said:
The Great JT said:
Frankly I'm just amazed they let Michael Cera act again.
You really shouldn't put all your Annes in that basket.

(Seriously, have you seen season 4 of Arrested Development?)
Allow me to clarify. "Frankly I'm just amazed they let Michael Cera act again IN MOVIES." Last thing I can recall seeing him in was Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (which I liked him fine in) and I will be damned if I know anyone outside my roommate who also saw that flick.

Also, I admit this is a point of shame for me, I don't watch Arrested Development. Sorry, but I just don't watch a ton of live-action shows, and the main two I do watch are SportsCenter and Big Bang Theory. AD just kind of passed me by the same way Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, Firefly, Buffy the Vampire Slayer and others did (all of which I've heard are varying degrees of awesome).

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Wow really? I mean I too expected this film to be trash when I first saw the trailer advertise on Youtube. I guess I could put this film on the list of othe possible films to watch during the summer.

R.Nevermore

Mar 28, 2008
I normally have very strong disagreements with boy's reviews. But this one was fairly accurate. One of the funniest movies I've seen in YEARS

MrHero17

Jul 11, 2008
I saw this the day it came out with some friends and it was hilarious. There's just so many good jokes and interaction, like Bob said, the writing and drama is actually all really good. So much of what happens is instantly quotable.

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
I love Jay Baruchel (I think it's kind of a given, Canadians like Canadian actors), but I also have a mini crush on him. He's way too skinny and a bit too Montreal-Artsy for me, but I still like him. When I saw the first trailer for this a few months ago, I knew I wanted to see it, because if it was bad, it would still be funny, and if it was good, it would be great.

Looking forward to going to this now.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
You know, I had a feeling from the trailers that this wasn't going to be a typical modern comedy and would end up being surprisingly good. I'm glad my feelings were right. Probably going to wait until I can rent it, but I definitely plan on checking it out.

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
The Great JT said:
Allow me to clarify. "Frankly I'm just amazed they let Michael Cera act again IN MOVIES." Last thing I can recall seeing him in was Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (which I liked him fine in) and I will be damned if I know anyone outside my roommate who also saw that flick.
You now know another. SPVTW is one of my favorites. It's a guy's version of a chick flick.

Edit.. wow quote failure

honeybakedham

Sep 29, 2009
I really liked this movie. I saw it about an hour ago. Everything Bob says is true. The dialog is crackling and funny and the improv work is spot on.

Still... I think it does drag a bit in the middle and I wonder if it might not have worked a tad better if it had been structured as a road movie. But all the same, I laughed a lot, really loved the banter, totally enjoyed Micheal Cera and Emma Watson as very unrealistic versions of themselves. (this was a smart move by Emma Watson to allow herself to be enlisted in this cast)

I'm a stand-up and improv comic myself, so I tend to have a real liking of the Apatow gang. Jay Baruchel has always been highly underrated and really gets to shine here. McBride plays to his strengths but that really works. Rogan is horribly flawed as a character, but ultimately relatable and thus likable. See this. Just see it.

See if for no other reason than to see a massive lava demon's unnaturally impressive swinging penis.