Electronic Arts Confirms Danger Close Closure

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Electronic Arts Confirms Danger Close Closure

EA Vice President Patrick Söderlund says the Medal of Honor studio "doesn't exist anymore."

The 2010 Medal of Honor reboot and its 2012 sequel, Medal of Honor: Warfighter, were both stinkers, Warfighter faring so poorly that it prompted Electronic Arts to take it out behind the shed and give it the opened [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121799-Electronic-Arts-Drops-Medal-of-Honor] a Los Angeles branch of Battlefield studio DICE in May.

EA has previously refused to comment on the studio's fate but in an interview with Eurogamer, Söderlund, the executive vice president of the EA Games Label, confirmed that Danger Close is done. "Danger Close as it was doesn't exist anymore," he said. "There are people who left LA, people who work with DICE LA, and there are some who work in other parts of EA, as always when something gets dismantled."

It's always sad to see a developer go under, but the risk to studios that are purpose-built for a particular franchise, especially one that's relatively untried, is high - and in this case, the outcome was all but inevitable.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-13-star-wars-battlefront-is-dices-interpretation-of-what-battlefront-should-be]

bfgmetalhead

Aug 4, 2010
Hey! EA's gonna get you too. Another one bites the dust.

Off to lie with Bullfrog, Westwood and Bioware ya go.

GodzillaGuy92

Jul 10, 2012
I initially read the title as something along the lines of "Electronic Arts Confirms They're Dangerously Close To Closure" - which, needless to say, momentarily made my heart leap. Alas, it's just another small step in that direction. Let's hope that hallowed day arrives before too many more such casualties happen.

Fin Morrison

Mar 29, 2011
we are talking about the studio that pooped out warfighter right? cause I'd be totally fine with that, although it sucks for the people who are losing their jobs, although they still did make warfighter so i don't really think they wanted to make games in the first place...

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
This is exactly how it went down.

EA: DC, maek CoD klon
DC: But boss, people already have more than enough modern military shooters. It won't sell. The market is over-saturated.
EA: Dooooo iiiiiit!
DC: Yes, boss. We'll need a few years though.
EA: Do iiiit nauuuu!
DC: We'll try boss.
EA: Aaa, whas dis? Peoples don likz iiit. Peoples don baj iiit.
DC: That's what we've been trying to tell you. People have had enough.
EA: I hzd enuf! Youz firddd!

TWEWYFan

Mar 22, 2012
While I may not have had much interest in their games, it's a shame to see another studio fall victim to Electronic "We will destroy all" Arts.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Well that wasn't predictable.

I feel sorry for them, being put together and given a couple of years to somehow match the Call of Duty juggernaut. No doubt with such an important task there was lots of oversight in the writing, development and marketing from EA execs.

Seriously, Call of Duty games are made by what, five or six developers working together now? You may as well have asked some pub team to take on Man U at Wembley (and told them they either won or lost their houses).

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
This is them trying to mask the fact that DICE LA is basically formed out of Danger Close. (Or respond to that accusation). I bet you we're talking a very high percentage of staff crossing over here.

I tried to look for sources of Wikipedia, but Danger Close is still redirecting to DICE LA at the moment (as it's done for the past couple of months)

I mean we were basically informed Danger Close was closed in May, this isn't new news unless they're trying to respond to those specific allegations. People were reporting Danger Close as being 'renamed' and 'restructured' as DICE LA well before this announcement
http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2013/05/15/ea-renames-danger-close-as-dice-la-and-gives-it-some-star-wars/
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/16/dice-la-from-the-ashes-of-medal-of-honor
A Month Ago said:
With Medal of Honor on indefinite hiatus, numerous senior members of developer Danger Close have migrated over to Electronic Arts? other Los Angeles studio, the newly announced DICE LA. ?Most others,? the publisher tells IGN, ?have moved on from EA.?
I mean it's not like EA didn't rename all their RPG studios 'Bioware' last year.

Ympulse

Feb 15, 2011
There were exceptionally few actual job losses from this "closure".

Danger Close simply moved down the street a bit, and the title on the placards there is DICE instead of Danger Close. Put the pitchforks away, mouthbreathers.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
fix-the-spade said:
Well that wasn't predictable.

I feel sorry for them, being put together and given a couple of years to somehow match the Call of Duty juggernaut. No doubt with such an important task there was lots of oversight in the writing, development and marketing from EA execs.

Seriously, Call of Duty games are made by what, five or six developers working together now? You may as well have asked some pub team to take on Man U at Wembley (and told them they either won or lost their houses).
Other shooters with less resources have done better than Danger Close at making military shooters in a "COD dominated market". And sold miles better than MoH Warfighter. To go from selling 5 million on the hype Medal of Honor name alone to selling 300,000 shows how bad the game truly was.

EA also has Battlefield, which is a different enough game fundamentally to not fall under "the COD shooter clone" feeling. The thing with Danger Close is that they tried to make a COD clone in the most literal sense. Games like that tend to get slaughtered in sales because they feel second teir, even to COD.

I can't blame the EA execs' for this one. COD has just as horrible of a marketing plan thanks to Activision and just as dumb of writing. In the end it was the poorer quality product that was to blame.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Diablo1099 said:
Somewhere, some EA board member is adding another notch to his belt...
By now, his belt would look like beef jerky the way it's torn up.

So, when these guys do go down, do we give them a viking funeral or a New Orleans funeral?

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
FalloutJack said:

So, when these guys do go down, do we give them a viking funeral or a New Orleans funeral?
There is a reference there that I just don't get.
New Orleans funeral?

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Diablo1099 said:
FalloutJack said:

There is a reference there that I just don't get.
New Orleans funeral?

I actually want one of these when I die. That's AFTER I explode, of course.