First Party Xbox One Games Will Cost $60

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
First Party Xbox One Games Will Cost $60

Microsoft will maintain a $60 price tag for first party software.

Sony won a significant public relations victory at its E3 press conference. In addition to excluding always online and used games restrictions a la Xbox One, the PS4 was announced to cost <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124815-PS4-Will-Not-Block-Used-Games-or-Require-an-Online-Connection>a hundred dollars less than <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124770-Xbox-One-Debuts-This-November-UPDATE>Microsoft's console. That said, Microsoft may now have a chance for a bit of a counter when it comes to the pricing of games. Whereas Sony is largely staying mum on the cost of next-gen games, Microsoft has revealed that its first party software for Xbox One will be priced the same as on the Xbox 360: $59.99 a game.

Microsoft's pricing announcement comes alongside what could be taken as reluctance from Sony to confirm its own software prices. While PlayStation boss Jack Tretton had previously said PS4 games would cost <a href=http://www.cnbc.com/id/100480852>"from 99 cents to $60," Shuhei Yoshida, head of worldwide game development for Sony, wouldn't confirm prices when asked recently. While he said that he "[knows] the pricing," he wouldn't offer a solid number.

Yoshida's reluctance to solidify first party pricing could amount to nothing, but it's hard not to worry that Sony might raise its prices in the future. There would be arguably legitimate reasons for doing so. Based on current inflation rates, videogames <a href=http://kotaku.com/5986208/if-ps4-games-only-cost-60-theyre-actually-cheaper-than-ps3-games>are already cheaper than they were at the launch of the PS3. Additionally, the cost of making games continues to rise and Yoshida confirmed that PS4 development costs would be "slightly larger" when compared to current generation software. The only real reason Sony has not to boost its prices is consumer backlash. Given its recent trend of people pleasing, that might be enough. That said, only time will tell.

Source: <a href=http://kotaku.com/microsoft-to-sell-next-gen-games-for-60-price-of-gami-513489951>Kotaku

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
Sounds to me like Sony were being cagey, waiting for Microsoft to say what they were going for.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Oo, that's nice, wonder if Sony are going to announce a silly price riding on the back of the happy wave they've been enjoying for the last week. That would be an unfortunate thing to do.

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
seditary said:
Sounds to me like Sony were being cagey, waiting for Microsoft to say what they were going for.
I really hope that's the case. I know technically that games are cheaper now than they ever have been, but $60 is still a considerable amount to spend on a game when you're worrying about a mortgage and what-not at the same time. On that note, however, The Last of Us is totally worth $60. :)

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
Ugh. It would suck, but I'd rather pay higher price to own my games than pay a lower price for a "life-time rental" from Microsoft. Even though I could afford it, a price hike in general doesn't sound like a good thing for the industry as a whole cause its obvious games are too expensive for people buy games frequently and thus support the cost of development (even if inflation does mean games are cheaper now)

knight steel

Jul 6, 2009
Are we talking $60 American or $60 dollars Australian or both.
Because last time I checked on average a brand new game in Australia costs roundabout $100 just for the plain normal version so if they are bringing that down to $60 that's good.......still not getting an Xbone though.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
I pay about $60 including postage anyway for new imports from European countries, and consider it a bargain. How about universal pricing instead of fucking twice the amount in Australia? That'd get you some points Sony. Really. I would point at you every day for a week.

(No really, it'd be much appreciated.)

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
Considering the steady inflation video games have become cheaper and cheaper.

The last price increase I know of was for PC back in 1999 when Command & Conquer Tiberian Sun was sold for 99 DM instead of the usual 79 DM.
Yea that is 13 years without price increase and despite this many PC games are still sold even today for 39? which is the old price before C&C:TS! (e.g. Remember Me: http://www.amazon.de/Capcom-Remember-Me-PC/dp/B00A8C8NLS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1371298544&sr=8-2&keywords=Remember+Me )

I know for dead sure that PS1 games were 120 DM back then. That is almost 20 years without price increase for console games!
And TBH I believe even more. I think even SNES games did cost 120 DM but I can't confirm this.

So the truth many gamer don't want to hear is that their games did in fact not get more expensive but cheaper.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
This doesn't tell me prices of anywhere outside USA and those stay consistent anyway, its everywhere else that could be interesting.

sb666

Fake Best
Apr 5, 2010
Country
Australia
Oh come on, 60 dollars isn't a bad price. We pay 120 dollars for a new game in Australia.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
And that's why the used game market exists kids. Back in the day games were very expensive, now we're all used to games being cheap mostly due to online shopping. It will be interesting to see what Sony does. But that is a point, is it time for the game price to reflect the actual cost of making them?

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I doubt they will cost more than $60. Or else that $100 cheaper console price would mean very little once you have a handful of games. As another person said, I suspect they were waiting to see what the Xbox prices would be first.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
I just knew they'd pass the savings they made with all the used games restrictions onto the consumer!

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
WELL THAT'S JUST... wait, that's sane. That's Microsoft actually not making a mistake here, what gives?

rapidoud

Feb 1, 2008
knight steel said:
Are we talking $60 American or $60 dollars Australian or both.
Because last time I checked on average a brand new game in Australia costs roundabout $100 just for the plain normal version so if they are bringing that down to $60 that's good.......still not getting an Xbone though.
Exactly.

People were praising the PS4's $400 pricetag, but then they came out and said $550 for Australia versus $600 for Microsoft. You're marking up your console more than MS; you're not good guys, you're just as scummy as last gen. MS are trying to eliminate piracy (a noble gesture) but the 24 hour thing is not the way to go about it, nor is data tracking people. I don't think the increase in games purchases will offset the reduced console uptake either.

Granted, Amazon is shipping the PS4 to us for $420 so I know where I'm buying it from seeing how cheap the release prices are now ($800-1000 PS3? What the hell were they smoking?)

I mean, I have 5 x360s for christ's sake in my house in use as $50-70 media centres! That's as cheap as a Raspberry Pi but they also allow Media Centre between them so I can resume playback, and I can also play games on any I feel like.

Though I suppose 4 years down the line the price really won't matter, and we'll see which console edges out in front. If retailers, developers, or the average person are pissed off about your console (none seem to be thus far; the minority that read gaming news don't count) then sales will tank. Retailers because they're the ones shipping the bloody thing to most people, developers because you need good exclusives, and the average person because they're buying it and if they don't have anyone else to play with as no one else bought the console as they're with a dodgy ISP that cuts off occasionally (not a foreign concept here) then they won't buy it.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
This is old news. They have been advertised on amazon already for a week.....i even wrote a thread about it a few days ago. lol. £55 in the UK or $60 in America.

Granted the price could come down in time, i think PS3 or 360 games were really expensive to begin with. An thats why im not buying any new consoles. Imagine buy a game that lasts 8 hours for £55? Its bad enough you have to pay £35 for that now, but an extra £20? Yeah, no way. PS4, not so bad due to ease of second hand games and rentals, but Xbone? Yeah, game price is another negative. If they were gonna put all these anti consumer stuff on the console, then sell the games for £30.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
....well dont mircorsoft, i was expecting a price increase in general but for them to not have one is a really pleasant surprise

still havnt changed my mind though

Ashley Blalock

Sep 25, 2011
If it was a drastic price increase I could see how that would be trouble for Sony. No one wants to pay say double what they are paying now.

But if the price for new games only goes up say $5 I think people would rather just pay $5 more for new games than deal with the mess Microsoft is attempting to "re-educate" us with. The way some games have gotten lately sure Microsoft might sell you the game for $60 but how much would you have to spend for all the downloads to have the compete game?